Re: [Clip] Re: One More Question and I'm there!

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
      youngj155 wrote:
      > If Firefox is already open it works fine - if it is not it opens and
      > displays nothing.

      This just might be a problem in your browsers.dat. Here's what works for
      me with FF:

      [Firefox]
      Command=firefox.exe
      UseDDE=0
      Application=Mozilla
      DdeCommand=
      DdeExec="%1",,-1,0,,,,
      Topic=WWW_OpenURL
      Application_New=
      DdeExec_New=
      Topic_New=

      I half remember that the UseDDE= can be a problem.

      Axel
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 23, 2008
        Hi
        If this is a popup window won't it be killed, everyone has popup killers
        these days ??
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        >> If Firefox is already open it works fine - if it is not it opens and
        >> displays nothing.
        >
        > This just might be a problem in your browsers.dat. Here's what works for
        > me with FF:
        >
        > [Firefox]
        > Command=firefox.exe
        > UseDDE=0
        > Application=Mozilla
        > DdeCommand=
        > DdeExec="%1",,-1,0,,,,
        > Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        > Application_New=
        > DdeExec_New=
        > Topic_New=
        >
        > I half remember that the UseDDE= can be a problem.
        >
        > Axel

        > ***
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 23, 2008
          Axel Berger wrote:
          > youngj155 wrote:
          >> If Firefox is already open it works fine - if it is not it opens and
          >> displays nothing.
          >
          > This just might be a problem in your browsers.dat. Here's what works for
          > me with FF:
          >
          > [Firefox]
          > Command=firefox.exe
          > UseDDE=0
          > Application=Mozilla
          > DdeCommand=
          > DdeExec="%1",,-1,0,,,,
          > Topic=WWW_OpenURL
          > Application_New=
          > DdeExec_New=
          > Topic_New=
          >
          > I half remember that the UseDDE= can be a problem.
          >
          > Axel

          Perhaps some help on where he might find browsers.dat? I have no idea
          myself.

          Firefox has sometimes been a bit unpredictable when not already opened.
          When firefox first burst on the scene it was worse than it is today.
          But if you open and it isn't open, you get nothing. You go back to
          notetab and do it again, and you are all set, correct? Also if your
          minimized browser is the size you want it, it will just load in that
          window anyway, so you can just toggle it back and forth. I also use
          firefox's web developer extension that lets you pick the window size in
          a click. I'm not totally sure what you are doing, but perhaps this will
          be helpful?
        • youngj155
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 23, 2008
            Thanks everyone for your repsonses!

            I am building this customized NoteTab solution to give to other
            members of an open source community (Dotnetnuke). So a browser side
            fix or Windows fix won't work.

            Here is some more info: If Firefox is already open the <body
            onload=... solution above opens a new TAB rather than a new window and
            resizes the window including all the tabs. So I'm thinking a
            window.open type JS function in the header might solve this Firefox
            problem???

            On the other hand the window.open solution probably won't solve the IE
            issues. So I'm thinking that Lotta's idea of putting something in the
            clip script might be the direction to go. This way IE's window would
            be resized before it knows whether the target is local or remote?????
            Not sure if that will work or what code to put into the clip script????

            So far pop-up blockers have not been an issue.

            Thanks for your help and additional ideas!

            John
          • youngj155
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 23, 2008
              Well, if there's a will there's a way.....

              I have found a solution. It is probably going to be much more work but
              at least it will work.

              Since my internal documents are html files I can compile each one into
              an html help file and then use: ^!Help "FileName" in my clip script.
              The HTML Help Workshop will allow you to set the window size and
              position (even transparency) of the help file.

              Displaying the docs in a browser window would be much easier but there
              doesn't seem to be a solution.

              Thanks for your help!

              John
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 23, 2008
                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                > Perhaps some help on where he might find browsers.dat? I have no idea
                > myself.
                Browsers.dat is in the NoteTab program directory.

                The issue with Firefox was more of a problem with NoteTab 4.x. NoteTab
                5.x has solved the issues I and many others had.

                If you are using NoteTab Light 4.x, NoteTab Light has been brought up to
                5.x in recent months, so that may be your solution.

                HTH,

                --
                Larry Hamilton
                Kairos Computer Solutions
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 25, 2008
                  > ... if you open (FIREFOX) and it isn't open, you get nothing. You go
                  back to notetab and do it again, and you are all set, correct?

                  Curiously, I get TWO firefox windows, the top one blank, the bottom
                  one is the file I had launched from NoteTab.

                  Eb