Need help converting a list of files to links

  • Pat Drummond
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008
      I've had to convert a long list of files into links several times,
      line by line (using clip: <a href="^?[URL=^&]">^?[URL]</a>) and was
      hoping someone else had more expertise than I at creating a loop to
      automate the conversion of a list with a filename on each line.

      I found a clip that created links but the link "text" for each was
      blank unless I typed the name one by one:
      e.g. xxx.html to <a href="xxx.html"></a>

      --------- Format Bare links -----------
      ; Last updated on 11-27-2000, jody
      ^!Continue Wraps relative or absolute paths in HTML code. Another
      prompt will come up after this if you proceed. Continue?

      ^!Set %Prompt%=^?[Prompt for link name?==Yes|_No]
      ^!Jump 1
      ^!SetHintInfo Wrapping links...
      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
      ^!SetWordWrap Off
      ^!Jump Doc_End

      :Loop1
      ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ Skip_2
      ^!Replace "^p" >> "" SB
      ^!Goto Loop1
      ^!InsertText ^p
      ^!Jump 1

      :Loop2
      ^!Select Eol
      ^!Set %GetSelect%=^$GetSelection$
      ; put ; put ^& in link name if you want the link there in link name if
      you want the link there
      ^!IfTrue ^%Prompt% Next else Skip_2
      ^!MoveCursor -4
      ^?{Enter link name}
      ^!Jump +1
      ^!If ^$GetRow$ = ^$GetLineCount$ Skip
      ^!Goto Loop2
      ^!Jump 1
      ^!SetWordWrap On
      ---------end clip--------------
      --
      Pat (at) ncf.ca
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Drummond" <pat@...> wrote:

        > I've had to convert a long list of files into links several times,
        > line by line (using clip: <a href="^?[URL=^&]">^?[URL]</a>) and was
        > hoping someone else had more expertise than I at creating a loop to
        > automate the conversion of a list with a filename on each line.
        >
        > I found a clip that created links but the link "text" for each was
        > blank unless I typed the name one by one:
        > e.g. xxx.html to <a href="xxx.html"></a>

        Is it that you wanted this?

        If so you could add these lines to Jody's clip just after the line
        containing: ^?{Enter link name}

        ^!IfFalse ^%Prompt% Next else Skip_2
        ^!MoveCursor -4
        ^%GetSelect%

      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
          Which of Jody's clips does this apply to? Sounds useful.

          --

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          ~~

          "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

          President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

          Visit http://ibssg.org/
          For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...

          Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ibssg.org/putnam/bios/

          Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ibssg.org/montgomery/bios/

          Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ibssg.org/fountain/vitals/bios/
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
            Jeff Scism wrote:
            > Which of Jody's clips does this apply to? Sounds useful.

            It is given in full in the message that was being answered:

          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Drummond" <pat@...> wrote:

              > line by line (using clip: <a href="^?[URL=^&]">^?[URL]</a>)

              In the above code you need to make BOTH wizards IDENTICAL,
              (add the omitted "^=^&" in the second wizard):

              A single wizard will pop-up, but BOTH wizards receive the same
              data, as will any other wizards, using the identical syntax,
              "^?[URL=^&]", anywhere in the same clip.

              Cheers,

              Eb
            • Pat Drummond
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008

                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Drummond" <pat@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I've had to convert a long list of files into links several times,
                > > line by line (using clip: <a href="^?[URL=^&]">^?[URL]</a>) ...
                >
                > Is it that you wanted this?
                >
                > If so you could add these lines to Jody's clip just after the line
                > containing: ^?{Enter link name}
                >
                > ^!IfFalse ^%Prompt% Next else Skip_2
                > ^!MoveCursor -4
                > ^%GetSelect%
                >
                > Regards,
                > Sheri

                Yes, exactly what I need. Thank you! With some courage I edited the
                clip further so it simply converts a list of filenames to links
                without prompts. Feel free to edit and add it to a library for others
                to use. Jody lives and Sheri rocks!

                Format List to links
                ; "Format Bare link" Last updated by Jody 11-27-2000
                ; Last updated by Sheri, Pat D. 02-05-2008

              • buralex@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
                  "Pat Drummond" <pat@...> said on Feb 05, 2008 17:23 -0500 (in part):
                  > Yes, exactly what I need. Thank you! With some courage I edited the
                  > clip further so it simply converts a list of filenames to links
                  > without prompts.
                  Hi Pat:
                  Could you give an example of (say) 5 file specs and following that what
                  you want them transformed to?
                  If I've understood what you are attempting, the transformation can
                  *probably* be done with a fairly simple one line regexp - ie. without
                  looping.

                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
                    buralex@... said on Feb 05, 2008 19:14 -0500 (in part):
                    > "Pat Drummond" <pat@...> said on Feb 05, 2008 17:23 -0500 (in part):
                    >> Yes, exactly what I need. Thank you! With some courage I edited the
                    >> clip further so it simply converts a list of filenames to links
                    >> without prompts.
                    > Hi Pat:
                    > Could you give an example of (say) 5 file specs and following that
                    > what you want them transformed to?
                    > If I've understood what you are attempting, the transformation can
                    > *probably* be done with a fairly simple one line regexp - ie. without
                    > looping.
                    >
                    > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
                    Followup - having tested your clip, this should be all you need to get
                    equivalent results in a buffer that contains *just* the file specs.

                    ^!replace "^(.*)$" >> "<a href="$1">$1</a>" rwais

                    Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
                      Hi Pat,

                      I'm glad that worked ok and I know Jody is smiling :)

                      I do think maybe we could improve it a little.

                      These three lines:
                      ^!MoveCursor -4
                      ^%GetSelect%

                      try changing it to

                      and comment out or remove the two lines that follow it
                      ;^!MoveCursor -4
                      ;^%GetSelect%

                      Alec's regex solution would also do the job if you're not using an old
                      version of NoteTab.

                      Best Regards,