Need to reorder some fields

  • B.P. de Vries
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hello,
      I have a ;-delimited file in which field 3 and 4 should be 4 and 3. So I
      have to have the contents of field 4 in field 3 and the contents of
      field 3 in field 4.
      Is there a quick way to do this?

      I tried it with Getfield but how do I replace those field the way I want?
      Thanks in advance

      My English is not too good......Sorry for that.
      --

      Met vriendelijke groet,

      *Bauke P. de Vries
      *

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
        B.P. de Vries wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I have a ;-delimited file in which field 3 and 4 should be 4 and 3. So I
        > have to have the contents of field 4 in field 3 and the contents of
        > field 3 in field 4.
        > Is there a quick way to do this?
        >
        > I tried it with Getfield but how do I replace those field the way I want?
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > My English is not too good......Sorry for that.
        Easy to do. Do you have two or so lines of sample text showing the
        delimiters, etc.
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
          "B.P. de Vries" wrote:
          > So I have to have the contents of field 4 in field 3 and
          > the contents of field 3 in field 4.
          > Is there a quick way to do this?

          Do you need a generic way to this often or do you only want it done
          once?

          If the latter the easiest way is use any program that can read and write
          .CSV and do it there. The one you have probably got is M$-Excel.

          A bit more effort is a Regex replace (done here for 2 and 3):
          ^(.*?);(.*?);(.*?);(.*?)$
          $1;$3;$2;$4

          Axel
        • James Senick
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
            B.P. de Vries wrote:
            > Hello,
            > I have a ;-delimited file in which field 3 and 4 should be 4 and 3. So I
            > have to have the contents of field 4 in field 3 and the contents of
            > field 3 in field 4.
            > Is there a quick way to do this?

            I use Jody's ReOrder Fields clip from the NoteBlock collection:
            <http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm>
            > I tried it with Getfield but how do I replace those field the way I want?
            > Thanks in advance

            The GetField is part of it, you're just missing the next step. So, if
            you only had 4 fields of which the first two remained the same while
            fields 3 and 4 were swapped, would could do something like this:

            ^!Set %Get1%=^$GetField(^%row%;1)$
            ^!Set %Get2%=^$GetField(^%row%;2)$
            ^!Set %Get3%=^$GetField(^%row%;4)$
            ^!Set %Get4%=^$GetField(^%row%;3)$

            What remains from there forward is outputting the delimited results and
            any new sorting you require. If you get Jody's NoteBlock collection,
            use NoteTab's "open as a Document" feature to see how it is all done.
          • B.P. de Vries
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
              Axel (and the others), thanks

              But when I use this : ^!Replace "^(.*?);(.*?);(.*?);(.*?)$" >>
              "$1;$2;$4;$3" ATIWRS
              in a clip I get the fourth field as the third, but I'm missing the new
              fourth field (the old third field).

              Something is missing but what?

              Met vriendelijke groet,

              *Bauke P. de Vries
              *

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
                "B.P. de Vries" wrote:
                > Something is missing but what?

                Is the old fourth the last field in the line? If not the last brackets,
                i.e. $4 will catch all the rest of the line with the old $3 placed after
                all that. It is safest to use one pair of brackets for every field, I
                only used four as an example.

                N.B: As far as I know neither T nor I do anything sensible in a Regex,
                AWRS should suffice.

                Axel
              • notetab_is_great
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "B.P. de Vries" <bauke@...> wrote:

                  > Axel (and the others), thanks
                  >
                  > But when I use this : ^!Replace "^(.*?);(.*?);(.*?);(.*?)$" >>
                  > "$1;$2;$4;$3" ATIWRS
                  > in a clip I get the fourth field as the third, but I'm missing the new
                  > fourth field (the old third field).
                  >
                  > Something is missing but what?

                  Probably (.*?); should actually be ([^;]*); for the first three ()
                  groups. The last would be fine with (.*?)
                • B.P. de Vries
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Hello,

                    I tried the brackets and did something wrong. Have to read more about Regex.
                    For the moment I put in an extra (.*?) and of course an extra $5 and
                    this works good enough for the moment.

                    Thanks a lot all of you and have a nice weekend.

                    Met vriendelijke groet,

                    *Bauke P. de Vries
                    *

                    Axel Berger schreef:
                    > "B.P. de Vries" wrote:
                    >
                    >> Something is missing but what?
                    >>

                    > Is the old fourth the last field in the line? If not the last brackets,
                    > i.e. $4 will catch all the rest of the line with the old $3 placed after
                    > all that. It is safest to use one pair of brackets for every field, I
                    > only used four as an example.
                    >
                    > N.B: As far as I know neither T nor I do anything sensible in a Regex,
                    > AWRS should suffice.
                    >
                    > Axel
                    >

                    > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com/
                    > Fookes Software Discussion Lists: http://www.fookes.com/groups.php
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • dracorat
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                      Here is the proper command:
                      ^!Replace "^([^;]*);([^;]*);([^;]*);([^;\r]*)(.*)?$" >>
                      "$1;$2;$4;$3$5" AWRS

                      --Keith

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                        dracorat wrote:
                        > Here is the proper command:
                        > ^!Replace "^([^;]*);([^;]*);([^;]*);([^;\r]*)(.*)?$" >>
                        > "$1;$2;$4;$3$5" AWRS

                        I see what you're doing, but I doubt the necessity. As far as I know the
                        "not greedy" modifier will suffice to make the brackets grab only one
                        data field.

                        N.B: I'm a bit surprised my guess for the semicolon as separator worked.
                        Do the Dutch use the comma as decimal delimiter same as the Germans?

                        Axel
                      • B.P. de Vries
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                          Thanks again! I don't know about the other Dutch, but I'm using the
                          semicolon for years now.

                          Met vriendelijke groet,

                          *Bauke P. de Vries
                          *

                          Axel Berger schreef:
                          > dracorat wrote:
                          >
                          >> Here is the proper command:
                          >> ^!Replace "^([^;]*);([^;]*);([^;]*);([^;\r]*)(.*)?$" >>
                          >> "$1;$2;$4;$3$5" AWRS
                          >>

                          > I see what you're doing, but I doubt the necessity. As far as I know the
                          > "not greedy" modifier will suffice to make the brackets grab only one
                          > data field.
                          >
                          > N.B: I'm a bit surprised my guess for the semicolon as separator worked.
                          > Do the Dutch use the comma as decimal delimiter same as the Germans?
                          >
                          > Axel
                          >

                          > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com/
                          > Fookes Software Discussion Lists: http://www.fookes.com/groups.php
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Hugo Paulissen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                            Hi Bauke,

                            So you buy a bottle of milk for Euro 0;89? The decimal delimite is a comma indeed.

                            ;-) Hugo

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                              Hugo Paulissen wrote:
                              > The decimal delimite is a comma indeed.

                              You misunderstood. Usually the comma is the field delimiter and only in
                              those places, where it is used as decimal delimiter, fields are
                              separated by the semicolon instead. This is done in Germany (not by me,
                              all my computers are set up for international English) but I did not
                              know about the Netherlands.

                              Axel
                            • B.P. de Vries
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                                Hello Hugo,

                                Not normally, but most Dutch would understand what you ment. ;-)

                                Met vriendelijke groet,

                                *Bauke P. de Vries
                                *