coping with mail from Outlook Express

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2008
      I have literally 10,000 email transcriptions (obituaries, biographies)
      from a single user who uses Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138.

      I convert these emails to HTML pages using NoteTab Std.

      Over the past five years it drives me crazy, but at uneven points her
      emails are broken with an exclamation point followed by a line break and
      two spaces, usually mid-word, and 'sometimes' in the following line a
      line break is inserted in the middle of a word.

      Of Course searching out '!' would allow me to auto-replace those, and
      join that line, but there are instances, although in this case few,
      where an exclamation point is a legitimate part of the transcript.

      additionally: how do you get the detection of the 'sometimes' following
      illegitimate line break in the next line and fix it via clip? If it
      happened every X nuber of lines, or characters, it would be easier, but
      these appear to be randomly inserted.

      Example follows: {note the ! at the end of the first paragraph, this is
      typed as a single paragraph before sending)

      Crawfordsville Journal Review 7-24-1945 -- Mrs. Winnie Josephine VanCleave, 78 years old, wife of Uley VanCleave, died Tuesday morning at her home in New Market, where she had been ill the past year with a complication of diseases. Born April 10, 1867, the daughter of John and Mary Johnson Hampton, she was married twice first to James L. Poynts, who died in 1905, and on June 20, 1907 to Uley VanCleave. She was a member of the Christian Church. Surviving besides the husband are four daughters, Mrs. Robert Gramling of Cleveland,Ohio, Mrs. Willis Blackwell of Indianapolis, Mrs. Carl VanCleave of New Market; and Mrs. Darwin Doherty of Crawfordsville; four grandchildren, Robert VanCleave with the Navy in California; James VanCleave with the 9th Army in Germany; and Beverly and Billie VanCleave of New Market; three sisters, Mrs. Ida Wray of Princeton, Mrs. John Britton of Crawfordsville and Mrs. Wallis Hester of Parkersburg, and a brother, Ollie Hampton, also of Crawfordsville.!
      The body was taken to the Noble Reeves Funeral Ho
      me in New Market, where friends may pay their respects until 2 p.m. Wednesday. Services will be held at the late residence at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon, with burial at the Masonic Cemetery in Crawfordsville. The Rev. Claude McAllister of Waveland will be the officiating minister.

      --

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      ~~

      Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
      'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
      The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

      Visit http://ibssg.org/

      For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
    • junja
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
        One thing I note from the sample below is that the line
        following the !
        starts with a space. That's no help with the broken words,
        but it
        might help a bit ..
        Junja