Re: [Clip] Concept-based Search

  • Bob Gorman
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 13, 2008
      Flo wrote:

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gorman <bgorman@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What I'm currently experimenting with is finding words that
      > > reflect one's dominant sensory mode. Words like: Visual: see,
      > > look, bright, clear, draw, etc. Audio: hear, sound, listen,
      > > rings, told, etc. Touch: touch, twist, hold, doing, grasping,
      > > etc.
      >
      > Bob,
      >
      > Thanks for your reply!
      >
      > An initial attempt to this job could be to insert markers that assign
      > meanings. Here is just a rough draft of this...

      Flo,
      and also Jeff & Alan.
      I realized the problems I had getting your examples to work were because
      they are all geared towards version 5, which has a major difference in
      the way it handles Regex.

      I was still on version 4.95!
      I hesitated for a while because 4.95 did everything I needed, plus a
      major rule of pilots:
      Never fly the first version of anything!
      But at 5.5 I guess the major bugs have been worked out. So this morning
      I bought & downloaded & installed it - separate from 4.95, so if I need
      my security blanket, it's there.

      Now I have the challenging task of moving all of my many customizations
      to 4.95 over to 5.5 hopefully without breaking anything in the process.

      Then I'll try out your clips.

      Bob
      --
      A ship in a harbor is safe. But that is not what ships were built for...
      J.A. Shedd
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 18, 2008
        I should also point out that including the pluras "es" form is
        sometimes not desired. For example, if we had car|automobile we would get:

        Sally cares {automobile} about her dog.

        But for that matter, the "s" form has the same issue, just in lower
        quantity. Thus, it's a question of what's better - smaller dictionary,
        or dictionary with every valid permutation.

        (Or even, just do only "s")

        His cat let out a loud hiss.

        his|owner

        His {owner} cat let out a loud hiss {owner}.

        The "s" case would be pretty rare, however. (The "es" not so rare.)

        --Keith