Re: [Clip] Concept-based Search

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 13, 2008
      On Jan 13, 2008 1:52 AM, Flo <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Someone else did KWIC (keyword in context) (not corpus toolkit)
      > > just with clips only -- and it's in the Yahoo ntb-clips (this
      > > yahoo group) archives.
      >
      > Probably, this refers to a discussion in Jan 2007. I started that topic
      > with #15930. "KWIC-Concordances" was introduced with #15933. With the
      > help of Alec and Sheri, a final and almost perfect NT5-solution was
      > posted with #15973.

      That sounds like the one.

      <snipped seeking now to do concept based and/or synonyms, not KWIC>

      Yes.

      From here to the end, me is just thinking out loud.

      <thinking out loud>

      HT's "A Corpus Worker's toolkit"

      (it's for university students who cannot afford expensive professional
      softwares for this task)

      I kindly recall that he's a university language professor.

      corpus is body or writings? (toolkit not limited to just KWIC)?

      I can't remember if the mentioned toolkit contains both Chinese and U.S. or
      just Chinese word list(s).

      Unless my recall is incorrect, in the toolkit, seems I remember some sort of
      cross comparison word list or at least word list to check for some reason to
      compare for some reason.

      The toolkit might be contained in the zip file I mentioned about in the
      files area.
      --

      2. Use Notetab via clip commandline to refer out and gather back from an
      online dictionary (IOW, parallel out the Notetab doc search also to an

      3. On your computer, have your own dictionary -- instead of parallel out to
      online, parallel out to your own dictionary.

      </thinking out loud>

      --
      Alan.

    • dracorat
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 18, 2008
        I should also point out that including the pluras "es" form is
        sometimes not desired. For example, if we had car|automobile we would get:

        Sally cares {automobile} about her dog.

        But for that matter, the "s" form has the same issue, just in lower
        quantity. Thus, it's a question of what's better - smaller dictionary,
        or dictionary with every valid permutation.

        (Or even, just do only "s")

        His cat let out a loud hiss.

        his|owner

        His {owner} cat let out a loud hiss {owner}.

        The "s" case would be pretty rare, however. (The "es" not so rare.)

        --Keith