Re: [Clip] Concept-based Search

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 12, 2008
      On Jan 12, 2008 3:42 AM, Flo <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Regarding the Find command, I think that we often don't search for a
      > string but we use strings in order to find meanings. That's why a
      > search would be useful that finds A if we are searching for A but
      > also finds B or C which appear in a semantic relation to A.

      [ seeks to also find more words that are related to the search word ]

      (next may not exactly what you seek though it's related)

      At there you'll find a downloadable file named kwic_files.zip

      Inside it is (now somewhat old) web links to HT's (HT was a university
      language professor back then) link to "A Corpus Worker's Toolkit" (I can't
      remember but think ACWT is also included in kwic_files.zip)

      Some of it needs Perl installed in order to work -- these parts that need
      Perl (hopefully they say so but I don't know if or how much they say so).

      Back then, HT had the Perl working, outside of Notetab. I wrote/did the
      integration of his Perl into Notetab. (Notetab works very well with Perl).

      Perl extends Notetab.

      For what you want, it is needed the cross comparison word lists for Notetab
      to check these word lists.

      I think some such list exist in either KWIC and or HT's Corpus toolkit.

      Someone else did KWIC (keyword in context) (not corpus toolkit) just with
      clips only -- and it's in the Yahoo ntb-clips (this yahoo group) archives.

      What you want may lean towards complex for Notetab due to how to get the
      needed intelligence (cross linked word lists AFAIK the only way to achieve a
      related multi word search that's initiated by using one search word).

      Software applications do exist for corpus and perhaps for what you want.

      --
      Alan.

    • dracorat
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 18, 2008
        I should also point out that including the pluras "es" form is
        sometimes not desired. For example, if we had car|automobile we would get:

        Sally cares {automobile} about her dog.

        But for that matter, the "s" form has the same issue, just in lower
        quantity. Thus, it's a question of what's better - smaller dictionary,
        or dictionary with every valid permutation.

        (Or even, just do only "s")

        His cat let out a loud hiss.

        his|owner

        His {owner} cat let out a loud hiss {owner}.

        The "s" case would be pretty rare, however. (The "es" not so rare.)

        --Keith