Re: [Clip] Concept-based Search

  • Bob Gorman
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 12, 2008
      Flo wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Regarding the Find command, I think that we often don't search for a
      > string but we use strings in order to find meanings. That's why a
      > search would be useful that finds A if we are searching for A but
      > also finds B or C which appear in a semantic relation to A.
      >
      > A search like this would find synonyms, for example: When searching
      > for "freedom" it would also find "liberty" (or antonyms like "war"
      > and "peace" or concepts like "father", "mother", "parents"). We could
      > also think of negative relations: Find words in a database that are
      > not to be used as index terms (non-descriptors).
      >
      > Could we make NoteTab an instrument for executing such a "concept-
      > based search"?

      I believe so, and I'm very interested in making it happen.
      Much of my work revolves around finding the meanings behind words.
      If you simply change "concept based search"
      to "meaning based search" you have what I' most interested in.
      For details see: http://www.kncell.org/KnCells.html

      What I'm currently experimenting with is finding words that reflect
      one's dominant sensory mode. Words like:
      Visual: see, look, bright, clear, draw, etc.
      Audio: hear, sound, listen, rings, told, etc.
      Touch: touch, twist, hold, doing, grasping, etc.

      I've written a few clips before but I've been away from them for a
      while. When I'm experimenting with an idea, trying to think it thru, I
      use the Logo language as it has many commands to deal with variable
      sized lists of words.
      But I do want to bring the result back to Clip Language.

      > I played a little bit around and - as a first approach - I came to
      > the following solution:
      >
      > Certainly, we could figure out some improvements of this approach.
      > Has anyone created a similar solution? I would be pleased to read
      > your experiences with this issue.

      I tried your clip and need to work through a few minor problems, but
      it's a great start.

      Bob
      --
      'I am only one; but I am still one.
      I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.

    • dracorat
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 18, 2008
        I should also point out that including the pluras "es" form is
        sometimes not desired. For example, if we had car|automobile we would get:

        Sally cares {automobile} about her dog.

        But for that matter, the "s" form has the same issue, just in lower
        quantity. Thus, it's a question of what's better - smaller dictionary,
        or dictionary with every valid permutation.

        (Or even, just do only "s")

        His cat let out a loud hiss.

        his|owner

        His {owner} cat let out a loud hiss {owner}.

        The "s" case would be pretty rare, however. (The "es" not so rare.)

        --Keith