Re: [Clip] Timer Clip

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
      On Jan 9, 2008 8:46 AM, Flo <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I assume you the remind me.clb..."This library shows how you
      > > can use the timer Clip event to create a
      > > scheduler...
      >
      > I'm still wondering how far a timer clip and another clip can be run
      > parallelly.
      >
      > The Clip Help (on ^!Timer Start) says: "Note that the Clip is not
      > executed if the Clipbook is already in the process of executing
      > another Clip." A small test doesn't seem to confirm that statement.

      (if I recall correctly) my past experience that timer clip gets clobbered or
      fails to run *if* the timing happens such that "timer clip starts or
      attempts to start while another clip is in the process of running"

      That was with the 4.95 and older ver. Notetab.

      I'm sure your exception works. 5.x is later and has some changes over the
      4.95

      (from the ver. 4.95 days) AFAIK the only way to run two clips simultaneously
      is to run two Notetabs by the method of using a 2nd ini via the command line
      to start the 2nd Notetab. Each of the 2 Notetabs is independent of each
      other and can do its own thing.

      I've previously used a 2nd Notetab to run timer and/or do other things.
      Unfinished projects is another potential use (just leave all the files open
      in *that* Notetab since Ntab restarts with all files open where the last
      session left off.

      --
      Alan.

    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
        (if I recall correctly) my past experience that timer clip gets clobbered or
        fails to run *if* the timing happens such that "timer clip starts or
        attempts to start while another clip is in the process of running"

        IOW a timer only prompts/notifys at a certain moment.

        For instance: timer clip *is already running* . . .

        But, if, at the very moment that the timer is supposed to pop up its prompt
        or play a sound, etc. --

        If, meanwhile, another, a lengthy run clip has been started and is still
        running at the moment that the timer would activate its pop up (notify the
        user) then such (from timer) notify user fails.

        Was your trial, did it prove to be an exception to the above case/scenario?

        --
        Alan.

      • Flo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2008
          Alec wrote...

          > If, meanwhile, another, a lengthy run clip has been started and
          > is still running at the moment that the timer would activate
          > its pop up (notify the user) then such (from timer) notify user
          > fails.

          You are right, Alec. When running my Timer Clip simultaneously with a
          lenghthy run clip, NT5 gets into trouble (for example: when changing
          to another clipbook or when opening another document). So my three
          sample clips evidently dont say much about simultaneous execution
          of clips.

          Actually, the execution is more reliable if we follow your advice to
          run two clips simultaneously from two instances of NT5. Maybe the use
          of a Timer Clip (as contained in RemindMe.CLB) is rather limited
          under these circumstances. No doubt that it works fine while working
          with another application. But when working with NT5, one has to check
          thoroughly which functions will work on that condition and which will
          fail.

          Flo

        • essex1
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 11, 2008
            Thanks for the replies, suggestions and input. essex1