Re: [Clip] Timer Clip

  • Flo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

      > I assume you the remind me.clb..."This library shows how you
      > can use the timer Clip event to create a
      > scheduler...

      I'm still wondering how far a timer clip and another clip can be run
      parallelly.

      The Clip Help (on ^!Timer Start) says: "Note that the Clip is not
      executed if the Clipbook is already in the process of executing
      another Clip." A small test doesn't seem to confirm that statement.

      Please start the following clip and watch the cursor moving through
      the document. (It will stop automatically at Doc_end, or you may stop
      it pressing Ctrl+Alt).

      H=MoveCursor
      ^!Jump Doc_Start
      ^!IfEmpty ^$GetChar$ End
      ^!MoveCursor +1
      ^!Delay 10
      ^!Goto Skip_-3
      :End
      ^!Info No more characters!

      The following clip will start the Timer...

      H=Timer
      ^!TimerPlay Hallo
      ^!TimerStart 2000

      The Timer clip will run the following Hallo clip (you can stop that
      clip pressing Shift key for one or two seconds).

      H=Hallo
      ^!IfTrue=^$IsShiftKeyDown$ Next Else Skip
      ^!TimerStop
      ^!StatusShow Hallo world!
      ^!Delay 15

      Now first start MoveCursor. Surprisingly, you can also run Timer now
      parallelly to MoveCursor. Doesn't this contradict the Clip Help?
      That is, Timer is properly started and executed "if the Clipbook is
      already in the process of executing another Clip". MoveCursor doesn't
      prevent Timer from running, but MoveCursor gets shortly interrupted
      by Timer for a second. That is, both clips are running alternately.

      Now first start Timer. In this case, Timer gets interrupted when
      starting MoveCursor. But Timer is back as soon as you stop MoveCursor
      (pressing Ctrl+Alt).

      Am I missing the point here?

      Flo

    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
        On Jan 9, 2008 8:46 AM, Flo <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I assume you the remind me.clb..."This library shows how you
        > > can use the timer Clip event to create a
        > > scheduler...
        >
        > I'm still wondering how far a timer clip and another clip can be run
        > parallelly.
        >
        > The Clip Help (on ^!Timer Start) says: "Note that the Clip is not
        > executed if the Clipbook is already in the process of executing
        > another Clip." A small test doesn't seem to confirm that statement.

        (if I recall correctly) my past experience that timer clip gets clobbered or
        fails to run *if* the timing happens such that "timer clip starts or
        attempts to start while another clip is in the process of running"

        That was with the 4.95 and older ver. Notetab.

        I'm sure your exception works. 5.x is later and has some changes over the
        4.95

        (from the ver. 4.95 days) AFAIK the only way to run two clips simultaneously
        is to run two Notetabs by the method of using a 2nd ini via the command line
        to start the 2nd Notetab. Each of the 2 Notetabs is independent of each
        other and can do its own thing.

        I've previously used a 2nd Notetab to run timer and/or do other things.
        Unfinished projects is another potential use (just leave all the files open
        in *that* Notetab since Ntab restarts with all files open where the last
        session left off.

        --
        Alan.

      • Alan C
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
          (if I recall correctly) my past experience that timer clip gets clobbered or
          fails to run *if* the timing happens such that "timer clip starts or
          attempts to start while another clip is in the process of running"

          IOW a timer only prompts/notifys at a certain moment.

          For instance: timer clip *is already running* . . .

          But, if, at the very moment that the timer is supposed to pop up its prompt
          or play a sound, etc. --

          If, meanwhile, another, a lengthy run clip has been started and is still
          running at the moment that the timer would activate its pop up (notify the
          user) then such (from timer) notify user fails.

          Was your trial, did it prove to be an exception to the above case/scenario?

          --
          Alan.

        • Flo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2008
            Alec wrote...

            > If, meanwhile, another, a lengthy run clip has been started and
            > is still running at the moment that the timer would activate
            > its pop up (notify the user) then such (from timer) notify user
            > fails.

            You are right, Alec. When running my Timer Clip simultaneously with a
            lenghthy run clip, NT5 gets into trouble (for example: when changing
            to another clipbook or when opening another document). So my three
            sample clips evidently dont say much about simultaneous execution
            of clips.

            Actually, the execution is more reliable if we follow your advice to
            run two clips simultaneously from two instances of NT5. Maybe the use
            of a Timer Clip (as contained in RemindMe.CLB) is rather limited
            under these circumstances. No doubt that it works fine while working
            with another application. But when working with NT5, one has to check
            thoroughly which functions will work on that condition and which will
            fail.

            Flo

          • essex1
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 11, 2008
              Thanks for the replies, suggestions and input. essex1