Timer Clip

  • essex1
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
      I'd like to use a Timer Clip to remind me of birthdays, appointments,
      and meetings. The Clip that comes with NoteTab doesn't explain how to
      make it work. I really need your help here.
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
        NoteTab timer clips are in my opinion the
        LEAST-valuable events in NoteTab. I hasten
        to add, that I LOVE Notetab, but...

        timer events only work if you allow them to
        steal resources in the background. Timer
        clips interfere with other clips. And
        vice versa.

        Investigate the Windows Scheduler instead.
        As far as I know, it comes with every
        version of Windows.

        I use it for birthdays and such via a batchfile,
        that pops up a reminder window when run.

        You then program Windows' scheduler to run that
        batchfile, when the occasion requires.
        Either at boot time, or shutdown, or at a
        specific time of day.

        On my system, the scheduler is located in the
        Control Panel.

        Cheers,

        Eb

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "essex1" <rpknet@...> wrote:

        > I'd like to use a Timer Clip to remind me of birthdays, appointments,
        > and meetings. The Clip that comes with NoteTab doesn't explain how to
        > make it work. I really need your help here.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
          Hi
          I assume you the remind me.clb, it runs a timer in the background and unless
          your machine is a bit sad it should make very little difference. I would
          change the clb to suit ,this is the top line of the .clb

          "This library shows how you can use the timer Clip event to create a
          scheduler. The timer event executes the "Remind Me" Clip every 30 seconds.
          The script in that Clip then checks the system clock, and if one of the
          tested time ranges is matched, it jumps to the specified label and displays
          an appropriate message. Feel free to customize this Clip with your own
          schedules.

          Note that the timer event stops as soon as you close the library, but not
          when you hide the Clipbook window or when you switch to other libraries. Use
          the "Stop reminding" Clip to disable the timer event, and the "Start again"
          Clip if you want it to resume."

          have a look at this is from clip script help under events
          ^!TimerStart nnnn

          Defines an event timer. nnnn represents the interval in milliseconds. For
          example, "^!TimerStart 5000" will execute the assigned Clip (set with
          "^!TimerPlay") every 5 seconds. Note that the Clip is not executed if the
          Clipbook is already in the process of executing another Clip.

          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > I'd like to use a Timer Clip to remind me of birthdays, appointments,
          > and meetings. The Clip that comes with NoteTab doesn't explain how to
          > make it work. I really need your help here.
          >

          > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com/
          > Fookes Software Discussion Lists: http://www.fookes.com/groups.php
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Flo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

            > I assume you the remind me.clb..."This library shows how you
            > can use the timer Clip event to create a
            > scheduler...

            I'm still wondering how far a timer clip and another clip can be run
            parallelly.

            The Clip Help (on ^!Timer Start) says: "Note that the Clip is not
            executed if the Clipbook is already in the process of executing
            another Clip." A small test doesn't seem to confirm that statement.

            Please start the following clip and watch the cursor moving through
            the document. (It will stop automatically at Doc_end, or you may stop
            it pressing Ctrl+Alt).

            H=MoveCursor
            ^!Jump Doc_Start
            ^!IfEmpty ^$GetChar$ End
            ^!MoveCursor +1
            ^!Delay 10
            ^!Goto Skip_-3
            :End
            ^!Info No more characters!

            The following clip will start the Timer...

            H=Timer
            ^!TimerPlay Hallo
            ^!TimerStart 2000

            The Timer clip will run the following Hallo clip (you can stop that
            clip pressing Shift key for one or two seconds).

            H=Hallo
            ^!IfTrue=^$IsShiftKeyDown$ Next Else Skip
            ^!TimerStop
            ^!StatusShow Hallo world!
            ^!Delay 15

            Now first start MoveCursor. Surprisingly, you can also run Timer now
            parallelly to MoveCursor. Doesn't this contradict the Clip Help?
            That is, Timer is properly started and executed "if the Clipbook is
            already in the process of executing another Clip". MoveCursor doesn't
            prevent Timer from running, but MoveCursor gets shortly interrupted
            by Timer for a second. That is, both clips are running alternately.

            Now first start Timer. In this case, Timer gets interrupted when
            starting MoveCursor. But Timer is back as soon as you stop MoveCursor
            (pressing Ctrl+Alt).

            Am I missing the point here?

            Flo

          • Alan C
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
              On Jan 9, 2008 8:46 AM, Flo <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I assume you the remind me.clb..."This library shows how you
              > > can use the timer Clip event to create a
              > > scheduler...
              >
              > I'm still wondering how far a timer clip and another clip can be run
              > parallelly.
              >
              > The Clip Help (on ^!Timer Start) says: "Note that the Clip is not
              > executed if the Clipbook is already in the process of executing
              > another Clip." A small test doesn't seem to confirm that statement.

              (if I recall correctly) my past experience that timer clip gets clobbered or
              fails to run *if* the timing happens such that "timer clip starts or
              attempts to start while another clip is in the process of running"

              That was with the 4.95 and older ver. Notetab.

              I'm sure your exception works. 5.x is later and has some changes over the
              4.95

              (from the ver. 4.95 days) AFAIK the only way to run two clips simultaneously
              is to run two Notetabs by the method of using a 2nd ini via the command line
              to start the 2nd Notetab. Each of the 2 Notetabs is independent of each
              other and can do its own thing.

              I've previously used a 2nd Notetab to run timer and/or do other things.
              Unfinished projects is another potential use (just leave all the files open
              in *that* Notetab since Ntab restarts with all files open where the last
              session left off.

              --
              Alan.

            • Alan C
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
                (if I recall correctly) my past experience that timer clip gets clobbered or
                fails to run *if* the timing happens such that "timer clip starts or
                attempts to start while another clip is in the process of running"

                IOW a timer only prompts/notifys at a certain moment.

                For instance: timer clip *is already running* . . .

                But, if, at the very moment that the timer is supposed to pop up its prompt
                or play a sound, etc. --

                If, meanwhile, another, a lengthy run clip has been started and is still
                running at the moment that the timer would activate its pop up (notify the
                user) then such (from timer) notify user fails.

                Was your trial, did it prove to be an exception to the above case/scenario?

                --
                Alan.

              • Flo
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2008
                  Alec wrote...

                  > If, meanwhile, another, a lengthy run clip has been started and
                  > is still running at the moment that the timer would activate
                  > its pop up (notify the user) then such (from timer) notify user
                  > fails.

                  You are right, Alec. When running my Timer Clip simultaneously with a
                  lenghthy run clip, NT5 gets into trouble (for example: when changing
                  to another clipbook or when opening another document). So my three
                  sample clips evidently dont say much about simultaneous execution
                  of clips.

                  Actually, the execution is more reliable if we follow your advice to
                  run two clips simultaneously from two instances of NT5. Maybe the use
                  of a Timer Clip (as contained in RemindMe.CLB) is rather limited
                  under these circumstances. No doubt that it works fine while working
                  with another application. But when working with NT5, one has to check
                  thoroughly which functions will work on that condition and which will
                  fail.

                  Flo

                • essex1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 11, 2008
                    Thanks for the replies, suggestions and input. essex1