Re: [Clip] clip to number rows

  • WV-Mike
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
      At 10:53 AM 12/28/2007 , Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

      >WV-Mike wrote:
      > > Howdy,
      > > Anyone out there have a clip which will sequentially number a the rows of
      > > hi-lighted text?
      > > I tried the ones in the NoteBlock library - "Numer lines..." , "Insert in
      > > Front of Block with Incrementing Number..."
      > >
      > > However, I could not get them to perform as I wanted:
      > >
      > > I hi-light a block, run the clip and then each line is numbered:
      > >
      > > 1. text
      > > 2. text
      >
      >So you start at one, not the line number in the document?

      I have various lists through out a document which need individually numbered.
      The clips in the NoteBlocl seems to always number the whole doc.

      -Mike

    • WV-Mike
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
        At 11:40 AM 12/28/2007 , you wrote:
        >first is just highlighted and second is all lines
        >
        >this could easily be improved by:
        >1. resetting wordwrap to on/off so it is as it was
        >2. allowing you to decide if you want leading zero's on numbers (I
        >almost always do)
        >3. allowing you to set the "delimiter after the number (I used period +
        >space)
        >
        >If you want a remove line number, I would probably use a regex as suggested.

        Howdy,
        I was able to run the clip for all lines but I get an error for the
        highlighted only.
        I am sure it is the way I made the long lines but I cannot see where the
        problem is.

        Here is the paste from email and then the actual clip I am running:

        http://epicroadtrips.com/clip/

        Thanks Don and all!

        -Mike

        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
          WV-Mike wrote:
          > but I cannot see where the problem is.

          There is a newline before the closing quote in the line with ^$StrFill
          and that whole line belongs into the one above after ^!InsertText

          Axel
        • Flo
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
            wrote:

            > Never realized that there was a menu command for numbering
            > lines! This program never ceases to surprise me...

            Don,

            > I don't like that if I want to change the "delimiter" I need
            > to use the modify command. I tried finding a manual place to do
            > it with no luck.

            It's in View | Options | General | Number Separator.

            > I also don't like the dialog that asks how to number it.

            See the new version below. If it always starts with line #1 we could
            override the prompt with a ^!Keyboard Command instead of the full ^!
            Menu Command.

            > For the size files I use I think I'll stick with mine.

            Yes, of course, it's perfectly doing the job up to some hundreds of
            lines...

            > I typically don't use screenupdateoff as I like to watch the
            program hum :-)

            So do I -- it's like sitting in front of a washing machine ;-)

            > You might also come up with a regex to replace my padding method?
            > That might speed things along?

            I don't see a way for that because your method is based on a string
            function (^$StrFill) that cannot be combined with a RegEx. I think
            all kinds of string functions, loops, counters, cursor movements etc
            tend to slow down the clip performance.

            Regards,
            Flo

            New version of my clip. The first line prevents double spaces inside
            the lines from being replaced with zero. For
            example: "American··Express" could be replaced
            with "American·0Express".

            ^!Menu Modify/Spaces/Single Space
            ^!KeyboardDelay 50
            ^!Keyboard CTRL+A ALT+M L N #1# ENTER
            ^!Replace "(^|(?<=\x20))\x20" >> "0" AWRS
          • Flo
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > works well ,anyway of stopping it going to the end of the page if
              you only
              > do the top half. ?
              > THANKYOU DAVE M

              Dave,

              If no text is selected the Menu Command numbers all lines. If we
              select lines manually before starting the clip, the numbering will be
              limited to selected parts only. So we could write...

              ^!IfFalse=^$GetSelSize$ Next Else Skip
              ^!Select All
              ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Number Lines
              ^!Replace "(^|(?<=\x20))\x20" >> "0" AWRS

              Regards,
              Flo
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007

                > ^!Select All
                > ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Number Lines
                > ^!Replace "(^|(?<=\x20))\x20" >> "0" AWRS
                >

                > The RegEx works with a Positive Lookbehind Assertion. It says:
                > Replace any space (Hex \x20) with 0 that is matched at the beginning
                > of a line or that is preceded by a space. Thus we avoid replacing the
                > space that follows the line number. -- I hope that RegEx survives
                > Sheri's critical eye ;-)
                >
                > Regards,
                > Flo

                Hi Flo,

                Getting rid of extra spaces first removes the issue I saw with it
                (replacing unrelated spaces with zeros). But maybe it would be better
                to replace those spaces with something else (e.g., nonbreaking spaces)
                and put them back after the fact, rather than just compressing them to
                single spaces.

                PS, check your email.

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
                  Hi
                  the clip itself works selected text or not but tried it on a short text 5000
                  lines ,it does 1000 lines no problem but then heads straight to the "bottom"
                  of the page ,should it not stop when it is finished at 1000 lines ??
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  >> works well ,anyway of stopping it going to the end of the page if
                  > you only
                  >> do the top half. ?
                  >> THANKYOU DAVE M
                  >
                  > Dave,
                  >
                  > If no text is selected the Menu Command numbers all lines. If we
                  > select lines manually before starting the clip, the numbering will be
                  > limited to selected parts only. So we could write...
                  >
                  > ^!IfFalse=^$GetSelSize$ Next Else Skip
                  > ^!Select All
                  > ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Number Lines
                  > ^!Replace "(^|(?<=\x20))\x20" >> "0" AWRS
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Flo
                  >

                  > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com/
                  > Fookes Software Discussion Lists: http://www.fookes.com/groups.php
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • WV-Mike
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
                    At 10:12 AM 12/29/2007 , you wrote:
                    >Dave,
                    >
                    >If no text is selected the Menu Command numbers all lines. If we
                    >select lines manually before starting the clip, the numbering will be
                    >limited to selected parts only. So we could write...
                    >
                    >^!IfFalse=^$GetSelSize$ Next Else Skip
                    >^!Select All
                    >^!Menu Modify/Lines/Number Lines
                    >^!Replace "(^|(?<=\x20))\x20" >> "0" AWRS
                    >
                    >Regards, Flo

                    Hi Flo,

                    Groovy clip! Can it be modified so the "Start numbering from..." dialog
                    does not run and it automatically starts with "1"?

                    Thanks,
                    -Mike

                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
                      Axel Berger wrote:
                      > WV-Mike wrote:
                      >> but I cannot see where the problem is.
                      >
                      > There is a newline before the closing quote in the line with ^$StrFill
                      > and that whole line belongs into the one above after ^!InsertText
                      >
                      > Axel

                      Hi,

                      In the first one it is this --
                      All one line is this:
                      ^!InsertText
                      "^$StrFill("0";^$Calc(^%numberlength%-^$StrSize("^%counter%")$)$)$^%counter%.

                      "

                      So should be ***all on one line between the asterisks***:
                      ***^!InsertText
                      "^$StrFill("0";^$Calc(^%numberlength%-^$StrSize("^%counter%")$)$)$^%counter%.
                      "***

                      And in the second rendition it is that this is three lines, not one:
                      ^!Set
                      %numberlength%="^$Calc(^$StrSize("^$Calc(^%end%-^%start%)$")$)$"^!Jump
                      Select_Start^!Jump Line_Start

                      The last two things that start with ^! go on their own lines.

                      Let us know how it goes.

                      Flo, when I said where to manually set the delimiter I meant like in an
                      ini file or something. I found it under options menu. But I suspect
                      there is a file somewhere that I could have the clip edit to change it
                      to a different delimiter without having to fiddle with the options menu.
                      Does that makes sense. I have never enjoyed watching a washing
                      machine ... but this machine I do. Can't explain my fascination :-)

                      Don
                    • WV-Mike
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007
                        Hey Don,

                        It took both you and Axel pointing this out before I finally saw it.
                        Sheesh!

                        Works great.

                        Thanks,
                        -Mike
                        ------------------------
                        At 02:33 PM 12/29/2007 , you wrote:
                        >Hi,
                        >In the first one it is this --
                        >All one line is this:
                        >^!InsertText
                        >"^$StrFill("0";^$Calc(^%numberlength%-^$StrSize("^%counter%")$)$)$^%counter%.
                        >
                        >"
                        >
                        >So should be ***all on one line between the asterisks***:
                        >***^!InsertText
                        >"^$StrFill("0";^$Calc(^%numberlength%-^$StrSize("^%counter%")$)$)$^%counter%.
                        >"***
                        >
                        >And in the second rendition it is that this is three lines, not one:
                        >^!Set
                        >%numberlength%="^$Calc(^$StrSize("^$Calc(^%end%-^%start%)$")$)$"^!Jump
                        >Select_Start^!Jump Line_Start
                        >
                        >The last two things that start with ^! go on their own lines.
                        >
                        >Let us know how it goes.

                      • Flo
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 30, 2007
                          @Sheri wrote...

                          > ...maybe it would be better to replace those spaces with
                          > something else (e.g., nonbreaking spaces) and put them back
                          > after the fact, rather than just compressing them to single
                          > spaces.

                          Yes, Sheri, there may be good reasons to protect double spaces inside
                          the text. According with your proposal, the new version replaces
                          double spaces with Hex A0 and restores them later on.

                          The ^!Replace Command removes any selection we have made before
                          starting the clip (in order to limit the numbering to certain lines).
                          Consequently, all lines will get numbered. To avoid this, I've added
                          some commands that restore selections.

                          @Dave wrote...

                          > it does 1000 lines no problem but then heads straight to the
                          > "bottom" of the page, should it not stop when it is finished at
                          > 1000 lines ??

                          The numbering is limited to selected lines but the ^!Replace Command
                          checks all lines. That's why the the clip is scrolling down to the
                          end of the document. Trying to avoid this wouldn't measurably speed
                          up the clip. Now the last command line will bring you back to the
                          first numbered line.

                          @Mike wrote...

                          > Groovy clip! Can it be modified so the "Start numbering
                          > from..." dialog does not run and it automatically starts with "1"?

                          See that ^Keyboard Command in my reply to Don! That's the only way I
                          can figure out to override that prompt. I didn't add that to the last
                          version because I think it's a quite useful option.

                          --- Latest version ---

                          ; Number all lines or selected lines
                          ^!Set %SelectionSize%=^$GetSelSize$
                          ^!IfFalse=^%SelectionSize% Skip_2 Else Next
                          ^!Set %SelectionStart%=^$GetRowStart$:^$GetColStart$
                          ^!Set %SelectionEnd%=^$GetRowEnd$:^$GetColEnd$
                          ;-- Protect double spaces
                          ^!Replace "\x20\x20" >> "\xA0\xA0" AWRS
                          ^!IfFalse=^%SelectionSize% Next Else Skip_2
                          ^!Select All
                          ^!Goto Skip_2
                          ^!SetCursor ^%SelectionStart%
                          ^!SelectTo ^%SelectionEnd%
                          ;--Number lines
                          ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Number Lines
                          ;--Replace leading spaces with zero
                          ^!Replace "(^|(?<=\x20))\x20" >> "0" AWRS
                          ;-- Restore double spaces
                          ^!Replace "\xA0\xA0" >> "\x20\x20" AWRS
                          ^!SetCursor ^%SelectionStart%

                          Regards,
                          Flo

                        • WV-Mike
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 30, 2007
                            At 10:42 AM 12/30/2007 , you wrote:
                            > > Groovy clip! Can it be modified so the "Start numbering
                            > > from..." dialog does not run and it automatically starts with "1"?
                            >
                            >See that ^Keyboard Command in my reply to Don! That's the only way I
                            >can figure out to override that prompt. I didn't add that to the last
                            >version because I think it's a quite useful option.

                            Thanks, Flo!
                            -Mike

                          • Flo
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 30, 2007
                              Don wrote...

                              > Flo, when I said where to manually set the delimiter I meant
                              > like in an ini file or something. I found it under options
                              > menu. But I suspect there is a file somewhere that I could
                              > have the clip edit to change it to a different delimiter
                              > without having to fiddle with the options menu.

                              I think this is controlled by...

                              NbrSeparator=". "

                              in the [Options] Section of the INI-file. Normally, we should be able
                              to change that setting (to ": " for example) with...

                              ^!SaveValue Options:NbrSeparator=": "

                              But for me this command doesn't really affect that setting. I don't
                              know what's wrong with that.

                              As a work-around it works with...

                              ^!KeyboardDelay 50
                              ^!Keyboard ALT+V O SHIFT+TAB RIGHT ALT+U #: # ENTER

                              Probably, that's not the most elegant solution...

                              By the way -- may I point out the following lines in your clips...

                              ^!Set %numberlength%="^$Calc(^$StrSize("^$GetLineCount$")$)$"

                              I think there's nothing to calculate in here. You could write...

                              ^!Set %numberlength%=^$StrSize(^$GetLineCount$)$

                              to get the same result.

                              Similar to that, you could reduce...

                              ^!Set %numberlength%="^$Calc(^$StrSize("^$Calc(^%end%-^%start%)$")$)$"

                              to...

                              ^!Set %numberlength%=^$StrSize(^$Calc(^%end%-^%start%)$)$

                              Maybe, this could save us some more milliseconds ;-)

                              Regards,
                              Flo

                            • Sheri
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 30, 2007
                                Flo wrote:
                                > Don wrote...
                                >

                                >> Flo, when I said where to manually set the delimiter I meant
                                >> like in an ini file or something. I found it under options
                                >> menu. But I suspect there is a file somewhere that I could
                                >> have the clip edit to change it to a different delimiter
                                >> without having to fiddle with the options menu.
                                >>

                                > I think this is controlled by...
                                >
                                > NbrSeparator=". "
                                >
                                > in the [Options] Section of the INI-file. Normally, we should be able
                                > to change that setting (to ": " for example) with...
                                >
                                > ^!SaveValue Options:NbrSeparator=": "
                                >
                                > But for me this command doesn't really affect that setting. I don't
                                > know what's wrong with that.

                                You can change NoteTab's options with clips, but before making a change
                                you need ^!ProginiSave, and after the change you need ^!ProgIniLoad.

                                So:

                                ^!ProgIniSave
                                ^!SaveValue Options:NbrSeparator=": "
                                ^!ProgIniLoad

                                will immediately cause the number separator option to change to colon space

                              • Flo
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 30, 2007
                                  Sorry for...

                                  ^!IfFalse=^%SelectionSize% Skip_2 Else Next

                                  Obviously, NT5 tolerates that wrong equal sign, but that's no clean
                                  code. Thanks to Sheri for that hint!

                                  Regards,
                                  Flo

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 31, 2007

                                    > You can change NoteTab's options with clips, but before making a
                                    change
                                    > you need ^!ProginiSave, and after the change you need ^!ProgIniLoad...

                                    Thank you, Sheri, that's working fine. So we could even start the
                                    numbering with a Wizard that allows to choose from different
                                    delimiters, and finally return to a default setting...

                                    Flo

                                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 2, 2008
                                      Flo wrote:
                                      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
                                      >> You can change NoteTab's options with clips, but before making a
                                      > change
                                      >> you need ^!ProginiSave, and after the change you need ^!ProgIniLoad...
                                      >
                                      > Thank you, Sheri, that's working fine. So we could even start the
                                      > numbering with a Wizard that allows to choose from different
                                      > delimiters, and finally return to a default setting...
                                      >
                                      > Flo

                                      That was my original thought Flo. In fact you could (if you wish) have
                                      a default set in your wizard and offer choices much like Jody's old
                                      Noteblock clips do for various things. I suppose you could even use a
                                      custom ini that saves your selections from use to use but then puts them
                                      in the main ini.

                                      Good point of the extra calcs. I think I originally thought I would
                                      have to do line math and in the end found a function to tell me the
                                      length or something and never bailed on the former method completely or
                                      something.