Issues with keystroke trapping

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2007
      Hi all, and Eric,

      I've run into problems with "^$IsAltKeyDown$" interfering
      with the emergency stop of a runamok clip.

      The following clip locks up NoteTab, requiring
      use of Taskmanager to break out of the loop.
      ALT+CTRL doesn't work.

      Would some of you kind souls try this out (=; at your risk ;=)
      on different Operating systems (Vista & XP, various versions)?

      -------->8--------
      H="AltKeyTestProblems"
      ^!IfFalse ^$IsAltKeyDown$ BYPASS
      ^!Info SYNTAX ^$AltKeyTestProblems(x;y)$
      ^!Goto END
      :BYPASS
      ^!Info run this clip again with the ALT key pressed
      -------->8--------

      Curiously, the clip modified to the following
      exits NoteTab on its own (after looping a lot).
      I suspect the above clip might also overload,
      but clicking OK each iteration slows it down a lot:

      -------->8--------
      H="AltKeyTestDefault"
      ^!IfTrue ^$IsAltKeyDown$ BYPASS
      ^!Info SYNTAX ^$AltKeyTestDefault(x;y)$
      ^!Goto END
      :BYPASS
      ^!Info run this clip again WITHOUT the ALT key pressed
      -------->8--------

      Notes about the clip:

      1. The intent of the code is to provide
      an alternate execution path, to pop-up
      HELP for the clip, when desired.

      Using "^%caret%" in the function call
      would avoid the problem, but the error
      showed up when I had fully intended to
      use ^%caret%, but didn't <blush>.

      2. CTRL+ALT does NOT work, to stop the clip,
      when either ALT or CTRL is being trapped.

      Apparently the key trap supercedes the
      CTRL+ALT execution abort.

      3. The alternative, ^$IsShiftKeyDown$, works
      from the clipbook, but NOT from clipbars.

      4. Temporary files (unsaved documents) are lost
      when you have to use Taskmanger to close NoteTab.

      Eric,

      Would it be possible to fix the IsShiftKeyDown
      function?
      That would allow workarounds for all these problems.

      Thanks,

      Eb