Re: [Clip] Re: Create CSV file

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
      Flo wrote:
      >> - at doc start matched with \A
      >> - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
      >> - at doc end matched with \z
      >>
      >> This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
      >>
      >> ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >> Flo
      >>

      > Sheri wrote:
      > The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
      > actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
      > actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
      > display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
      > character when it is actually two.
      >
      > It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
      > carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
      > the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.
      >
      > When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
      > marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
      > for the last line.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Sheri

      Thanks Sheri and Flo (and AleC) for moving this discussion along.

      Flo that removes all "empty lines" as promised. That is one I need to
      save. Perhaps, when showing hidden characters, notetab should really
      reflect the last "return" as a file end mark of some type to distinguish
      it from another return? I'll be honest I have never thought about it
      because I am only now beginning to understand and use regex. I always
      did it manually. But it all makes sense now, that last hidden character
      is really a file end (the \z) and returns are really two characters the
      (\r\n) as I caught on to a while back when I started using regex. I
      guess I have always known there was a file end but never gave it a
      second thought. In our context the issue is whether the file end is on
      the last line or on the next line then if I have it right now.

      Don

      saved here: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=361
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
        > Flo wrote:
        >
        >>> - at doc start matched with \A
        >>> - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
        >>> - at doc end matched with \z
        >>>
        >>> This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
        >>>
        >>> ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
        >>>
        >>> Regards,
        >>> Flo
        >>>

        >> Sheri wrote:
        >> The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
        >> actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
        >> actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
        >> display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
        >> character when it is actually two.
        >>
        >> It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
        >> carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
        >> the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.
        >>
        >> When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
        >> marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
        >> for the last line.
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >> Sheri
        >>

        > Thanks Sheri and Flo (and AleC) for moving this discussion along.
        >
        > Flo that removes all "empty lines" as promised. That is one I need to
        > save. Perhaps, when showing hidden characters, notetab should really
        > reflect the last "return" as a file end mark of some type to distinguish
        > it from another return? I'll be honest I have never thought about it
        > because I am only now beginning to understand and use regex. I always
        > did it manually. But it all makes sense now, that last hidden character
        > is really a file end (the \z) and returns are really two characters the
        > (\r\n) as I caught on to a while back when I started using regex. I
        > guess I have always known there was a file end but never gave it a
        > second thought. In our context the issue is whether the file end is on
        > the last line or on the next line then if I have it right now.
        >
        > Don
        >
        > saved here: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=361

        Hi Don,

        Not to nit pick with your blog, but the end-of-file marker is not a
        character. \z is an assertion for the position of end of the file. It
        has a width of zero characters. Ditto for \A, \Z, \z, ^ and $.

      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Dec 08, 2007 10:39
          -0500 (in part):
          > Ok why does a guy named Alec have Alex in his email address?
          My given name is Alexander but my parents always called me Alec after my
          uncle and grandfather.
          More recently ... I have an email filter that puts any email I receive
          that contains the string "alec" in to a "Look-at-me first" folder. So I
          stick the alex in my email address as BURgess+ALEX. If I'd used BURALEC
          then all the newsletters that contain stuff like : "you subscribed a
          buralex@..." would be mistakenly filtered to the "Look-at-me
          first" folder.

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail