Re: [Clip] Re: Create CSV file

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
      Flo wrote:
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      >> ^!replace "(\r\n)+" >> "\r\n" rwais
      >> Actually I tried this very combination before writing the above.
      >> It does not work! If you have a blank line as the last line in
      >> the file, it is not removed...
      >>

      > Don,
      >
      > The \A and \z sequences are doing the job. The possible positions of
      > CR/NL are:
      >
      > - at doc start matched with \A
      > - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
      > - at doc end matched with \z
      >
      > This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
      >
      > ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
      >
      > Regards,
      > Flo

      The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
      actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
      actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
      display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
      character when it is actually two.

      It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
      carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
      the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.

      When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
      marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
      for the last line.

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
        Ok why does a guy named Alec have Alex in his email address? Anyway, you
        are correct, the quotes are only needed in comma separated value files
        when/if there are delimiters (usually commas) in the data itself.
        However having extra quotes causes no problems.

        > btw: Mike - does it make any difference wrt. your end use of the
        > converted spreadsheet whether numeric fields are un-quoted or not, or
        > whether or not extra trailing null fields (TABS) get converted to
        > unnecessary sets of (,"","","")
        > My perhaps erroneous belief had always been that CSV requires
        > surrounding quote marks only when a field actually contains interior
        > comma(s).
        > Isn't:
        >
        > * bob,alec, dave jones, bill is just as valid as
        > * "bob","alec", "dave jones","bill"?
        >
        > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
          Flo wrote:
          >> - at doc start matched with \A
          >> - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
          >> - at doc end matched with \z
          >>
          >> This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
          >>
          >> ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >> Flo
          >>

          > Sheri wrote:
          > The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
          > actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
          > actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
          > display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
          > character when it is actually two.
          >
          > It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
          > carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
          > the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.
          >
          > When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
          > marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
          > for the last line.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri

          Thanks Sheri and Flo (and AleC) for moving this discussion along.

          Flo that removes all "empty lines" as promised. That is one I need to
          save. Perhaps, when showing hidden characters, notetab should really
          reflect the last "return" as a file end mark of some type to distinguish
          it from another return? I'll be honest I have never thought about it
          because I am only now beginning to understand and use regex. I always
          did it manually. But it all makes sense now, that last hidden character
          is really a file end (the \z) and returns are really two characters the
          (\r\n) as I caught on to a while back when I started using regex. I
          guess I have always known there was a file end but never gave it a
          second thought. In our context the issue is whether the file end is on
          the last line or on the next line then if I have it right now.

          Don

          saved here: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=361
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
            Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            > Flo wrote:
            >
            >>> - at doc start matched with \A
            >>> - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
            >>> - at doc end matched with \z
            >>>
            >>> This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
            >>>
            >>> ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
            >>>
            >>> Regards,
            >>> Flo
            >>>

            >> Sheri wrote:
            >> The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
            >> actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
            >> actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
            >> display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
            >> character when it is actually two.
            >>
            >> It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
            >> carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
            >> the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.
            >>
            >> When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
            >> marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
            >> for the last line.
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >> Sheri
            >>

            > Thanks Sheri and Flo (and AleC) for moving this discussion along.
            >
            > Flo that removes all "empty lines" as promised. That is one I need to
            > save. Perhaps, when showing hidden characters, notetab should really
            > reflect the last "return" as a file end mark of some type to distinguish
            > it from another return? I'll be honest I have never thought about it
            > because I am only now beginning to understand and use regex. I always
            > did it manually. But it all makes sense now, that last hidden character
            > is really a file end (the \z) and returns are really two characters the
            > (\r\n) as I caught on to a while back when I started using regex. I
            > guess I have always known there was a file end but never gave it a
            > second thought. In our context the issue is whether the file end is on
            > the last line or on the next line then if I have it right now.
            >
            > Don
            >
            > saved here: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=361

            Hi Don,

            Not to nit pick with your blog, but the end-of-file marker is not a
            character. \z is an assertion for the position of end of the file. It
            has a width of zero characters. Ditto for \A, \Z, \z, ^ and $.

          • buralex@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
              "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Dec 08, 2007 10:39
              -0500 (in part):
              > Ok why does a guy named Alec have Alex in his email address?
              My given name is Alexander but my parents always called me Alec after my
              uncle and grandfather.
              More recently ... I have an email filter that puts any email I receive
              that contains the string "alec" in to a "Look-at-me first" folder. So I
              stick the alex in my email address as BURgess+ALEX. If I'd used BURALEC
              then all the newsletters that contain stuff like : "you subscribed a
              buralex@..." would be mistakenly filtered to the "Look-at-me
              first" folder.

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail