[Clip] Re: Create CSV file

  • Flo
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
      wrote:

      > ^!replace "(\r\n)+" >> "\r\n" rwais
      > Actually I tried this very combination before writing the above.
      > It does not work! If you have a blank line as the last line in
      > the file, it is not removed...

      Don,

      The \A and \z sequences are doing the job. The possible positions of
      CR/NL are:

      - at doc start matched with \A
      - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
      - at doc end matched with \z

      This will remove double CR/NL at any position:

      ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS

      Regards,
      Flo
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
        Flo wrote:
        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        >> ^!replace "(\r\n)+" >> "\r\n" rwais
        >> Actually I tried this very combination before writing the above.
        >> It does not work! If you have a blank line as the last line in
        >> the file, it is not removed...
        >>

        > Don,
        >
        > The \A and \z sequences are doing the job. The possible positions of
        > CR/NL are:
        >
        > - at doc start matched with \A
        > - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
        > - at doc end matched with \z
        >
        > This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
        >
        > ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
        >
        > Regards,
        > Flo

        The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
        actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
        actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
        display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
        character when it is actually two.

        It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
        carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
        the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.

        When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
        marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
        for the last line.

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
          Ok why does a guy named Alec have Alex in his email address? Anyway, you
          are correct, the quotes are only needed in comma separated value files
          when/if there are delimiters (usually commas) in the data itself.
          However having extra quotes causes no problems.

          > btw: Mike - does it make any difference wrt. your end use of the
          > converted spreadsheet whether numeric fields are un-quoted or not, or
          > whether or not extra trailing null fields (TABS) get converted to
          > unnecessary sets of (,"","","")
          > My perhaps erroneous belief had always been that CSV requires
          > surrounding quote marks only when a field actually contains interior
          > comma(s).
          > Isn't:
          >
          > * bob,alec, dave jones, bill is just as valid as
          > * "bob","alec", "dave jones","bill"?
          >
          > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
            Flo wrote:
            >> - at doc start matched with \A
            >> - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
            >> - at doc end matched with \z
            >>
            >> This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
            >>
            >> ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >> Flo
            >>

            > Sheri wrote:
            > The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
            > actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
            > actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
            > display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
            > character when it is actually two.
            >
            > It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
            > carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
            > the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.
            >
            > When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
            > marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
            > for the last line.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sheri

            Thanks Sheri and Flo (and AleC) for moving this discussion along.

            Flo that removes all "empty lines" as promised. That is one I need to
            save. Perhaps, when showing hidden characters, notetab should really
            reflect the last "return" as a file end mark of some type to distinguish
            it from another return? I'll be honest I have never thought about it
            because I am only now beginning to understand and use regex. I always
            did it manually. But it all makes sense now, that last hidden character
            is really a file end (the \z) and returns are really two characters the
            (\r\n) as I caught on to a while back when I started using regex. I
            guess I have always known there was a file end but never gave it a
            second thought. In our context the issue is whether the file end is on
            the last line or on the next line then if I have it right now.

            Don

            saved here: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=361
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
              Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
              > Flo wrote:
              >
              >>> - at doc start matched with \A
              >>> - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
              >>> - at doc end matched with \z
              >>>
              >>> This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
              >>>
              >>> ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
              >>>
              >>> Regards,
              >>> Flo
              >>>

              >> Sheri wrote:
              >> The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
              >> actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
              >> actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
              >> display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
              >> character when it is actually two.
              >>
              >> It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
              >> carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
              >> the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.
              >>
              >> When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
              >> marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
              >> for the last line.
              >>
              >> Regards,
              >> Sheri
              >>

              > Thanks Sheri and Flo (and AleC) for moving this discussion along.
              >
              > Flo that removes all "empty lines" as promised. That is one I need to
              > save. Perhaps, when showing hidden characters, notetab should really
              > reflect the last "return" as a file end mark of some type to distinguish
              > it from another return? I'll be honest I have never thought about it
              > because I am only now beginning to understand and use regex. I always
              > did it manually. But it all makes sense now, that last hidden character
              > is really a file end (the \z) and returns are really two characters the
              > (\r\n) as I caught on to a while back when I started using regex. I
              > guess I have always known there was a file end but never gave it a
              > second thought. In our context the issue is whether the file end is on
              > the last line or on the next line then if I have it right now.
              >
              > Don
              >
              > saved here: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=361

              Hi Don,

              Not to nit pick with your blog, but the end-of-file marker is not a
              character. \z is an assertion for the position of end of the file. It
              has a width of zero characters. Ditto for \A, \Z, \z, ^ and $.

            • buralex@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
                "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Dec 08, 2007 10:39
                -0500 (in part):
                > Ok why does a guy named Alec have Alex in his email address?
                My given name is Alexander but my parents always called me Alec after my
                uncle and grandfather.
                More recently ... I have an email filter that puts any email I receive
                that contains the string "alec" in to a "Look-at-me first" folder. So I
                stick the alex in my email address as BURgess+ALEX. If I'd used BURALEC
                then all the newsletters that contain stuff like : "you subscribed a
                buralex@..." would be mistakenly filtered to the "Look-at-me
                first" folder.

                Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail