Re: [Clip] Re: Create CSV file

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 7, 2007
      Sheri wrote:
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:
      >> "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Dec 06, 2007 7:14
      >> -0500 (in part):
      >>> good start Alex ...
      >> Alec not Alex :-)
      >>> ; remove all empty lines
      >>> ; how to do with regex? anyone?
      >>> :Loop
      >>> ^!Replace "^P^P" >> "" ACIWS
      >>> ^!IfError Next ELSE Loop

      >> ^!replace "(\r\n)+" >> "\r\n" rwais

      Actually I tried this very combination before writing the above. It
      does not work! If you have a blank line as the last line in the file,
      it is not removed. Even though it shows two paragraphs symbols in a
      row. Mine doesn't work either (the ^P^P) will not remove the last blank
      line. Perhaps this is a bug?

      I sometimes use this at the end of the file:
      :ConfirmNoBlankLine
      ^!Jump Doc_End
      ^!Select Bol
      ^!If "^$GetSelection$" <> "" DoIt
      ^!Keyboard BACKSPACE
    • Flo
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
        wrote:

        > ^!replace "(\r\n)+" >> "\r\n" rwais
        > Actually I tried this very combination before writing the above.
        > It does not work! If you have a blank line as the last line in
        > the file, it is not removed...

        Don,

        The \A and \z sequences are doing the job. The possible positions of
        CR/NL are:

        - at doc start matched with \A
        - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
        - at doc end matched with \z

        This will remove double CR/NL at any position:

        ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS

        Regards,
        Flo
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
          Flo wrote:
          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          >> ^!replace "(\r\n)+" >> "\r\n" rwais
          >> Actually I tried this very combination before writing the above.
          >> It does not work! If you have a blank line as the last line in
          >> the file, it is not removed...
          >>

          > Don,
          >
          > The \A and \z sequences are doing the job. The possible positions of
          > CR/NL are:
          >
          > - at doc start matched with \A
          > - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
          > - at doc end matched with \z
          >
          > This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
          >
          > ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
          >
          > Regards,
          > Flo

          The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
          actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
          actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
          display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
          character when it is actually two.

          It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
          carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
          the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.

          When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
          marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
          for the last line.

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
            Ok why does a guy named Alec have Alex in his email address? Anyway, you
            are correct, the quotes are only needed in comma separated value files
            when/if there are delimiters (usually commas) in the data itself.
            However having extra quotes causes no problems.

            > btw: Mike - does it make any difference wrt. your end use of the
            > converted spreadsheet whether numeric fields are un-quoted or not, or
            > whether or not extra trailing null fields (TABS) get converted to
            > unnecessary sets of (,"","","")
            > My perhaps erroneous belief had always been that CSV requires
            > surrounding quote marks only when a field actually contains interior
            > comma(s).
            > Isn't:
            >
            > * bob,alec, dave jones, bill is just as valid as
            > * "bob","alec", "dave jones","bill"?
            >
            > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
              Flo wrote:
              >> - at doc start matched with \A
              >> - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
              >> - at doc end matched with \z
              >>
              >> This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
              >>
              >> ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
              >>
              >> Regards,
              >> Flo
              >>

              > Sheri wrote:
              > The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
              > actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
              > actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
              > display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
              > character when it is actually two.
              >
              > It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
              > carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
              > the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.
              >
              > When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
              > marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
              > for the last line.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Sheri

              Thanks Sheri and Flo (and AleC) for moving this discussion along.

              Flo that removes all "empty lines" as promised. That is one I need to
              save. Perhaps, when showing hidden characters, notetab should really
              reflect the last "return" as a file end mark of some type to distinguish
              it from another return? I'll be honest I have never thought about it
              because I am only now beginning to understand and use regex. I always
              did it manually. But it all makes sense now, that last hidden character
              is really a file end (the \z) and returns are really two characters the
              (\r\n) as I caught on to a while back when I started using regex. I
              guess I have always known there was a file end but never gave it a
              second thought. In our context the issue is whether the file end is on
              the last line or on the next line then if I have it right now.

              Don

              saved here: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=361
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                > Flo wrote:
                >
                >>> - at doc start matched with \A
                >>> - a CR/NL followed by CR/NL
                >>> - at doc end matched with \z
                >>>
                >>> This will remove double CR/NL at any position:
                >>>
                >>> ^!Replace "\R(?=\R)|\A\R|\R\z" >> "" AWRS
                >>>
                >>> Regards,
                >>> Flo
                >>>

                >> Sheri wrote:
                >> The end-of-file marker is not a line break. A line break is a series of
                >> actual control characters (carriage return and line feed). They can
                >> actually be selected, copied, pasted, etc. NoteTab Pro has a feature to
                >> display hidden characters, but it makes line breaks appear to be one
                >> character when it is actually two.
                >>
                >> It is usually best if each line in the document is terminated with a
                >> carriage return/line feed. That means there will hopefully be no text on
                >> the "line" containing the end-of-file marker.
                >>
                >> When the last line of text is followed immediately by the end-of-file
                >> marker, clips to process that file often require special processing just
                >> for the last line.
                >>
                >> Regards,
                >> Sheri
                >>

                > Thanks Sheri and Flo (and AleC) for moving this discussion along.
                >
                > Flo that removes all "empty lines" as promised. That is one I need to
                > save. Perhaps, when showing hidden characters, notetab should really
                > reflect the last "return" as a file end mark of some type to distinguish
                > it from another return? I'll be honest I have never thought about it
                > because I am only now beginning to understand and use regex. I always
                > did it manually. But it all makes sense now, that last hidden character
                > is really a file end (the \z) and returns are really two characters the
                > (\r\n) as I caught on to a while back when I started using regex. I
                > guess I have always known there was a file end but never gave it a
                > second thought. In our context the issue is whether the file end is on
                > the last line or on the next line then if I have it right now.
                >
                > Don
                >
                > saved here: http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=361

                Hi Don,

                Not to nit pick with your blog, but the end-of-file marker is not a
                character. \z is an assertion for the position of end of the file. It
                has a width of zero characters. Ditto for \A, \Z, \z, ^ and $.

              • buralex@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 8, 2007
                  "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Dec 08, 2007 10:39
                  -0500 (in part):
                  > Ok why does a guy named Alec have Alex in his email address?
                  My given name is Alexander but my parents always called me Alec after my
                  uncle and grandfather.
                  More recently ... I have an email filter that puts any email I receive
                  that contains the string "alec" in to a "Look-at-me first" folder. So I
                  stick the alex in my email address as BURgess+ALEX. If I'd used BURALEC
                  then all the newsletters that contain stuff like : "you subscribed a
                  buralex@..." would be mistakenly filtered to the "Look-at-me
                  first" folder.

                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail