Re: [Clip] Re: Append

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
      Apologizes for the delay in replying, Yahoo sent this reply very late and out
      of sequence.

      --- Dan Gagne <dgagne@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > There are two forms of append
      >
      > Do you mean: ^!AppendToFile or ^!Append
      >
      > Append To File does just that, it adds your text directly to the end
      > of the specified ASCII text file, without opening the file.

      That was what I meant and results in the cursor being at the start when you
      open the file and not at the end, which is what I wanted.

      My Brain wasn't in 'jump' mode :-)

      Thanks for clarifying the various 'Appends'

      fw
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
        Sounds like what the PasteBoard does, appends to the end of a document,
        and leaves the cursor at the end-doc.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
          fw7oaks wrote:
          > and results in the cursor being at the start when you
          > open the file and not at the end, which is what I wanted.

          There's no way around that as such. Appending to file is totally
          separate process and the open is a normal file open that does not know
          about anything that might have happened before.

          You could wrap that "open" into a clip and follow it with a positioning
          command. And you could even include those two into one clip together
          with the append. But the append itself and as such will not influence
          the file opening in any way.

          Axel
        • frank
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
            why not append the file whichever way you wish, but build a clip to
            open the file and then position cursor at 1:1 ?

            I use a series of clips to open files and just pick the one I want:

            open file > move cursor to start > word wrap on
            open file > move cursor to start > word wrap off
            open file > move cursor to end > word wrap on
            open file > move cursor to end > word wrap off
            open file > move cursor to start > word wrap on > find word
            open file > move cursor to start > word wrap off > find word

            saves me time. You get used to using the clip and not the file > open.

            regards,
            tf
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
              frank wrote:
              > saves me time. You get used to using the clip and not the
              > file > open.

              Well each to his own. I'd say two control sequences are quicker than
              always having to choose from among six clips. But one thing I have found
              nice is a Bar Icon for Reopen:

              ^!Keyboard ALT+F R

              You need to place this fairly far to the right of the submenu won't open
              right. This is a help mainly when the files you're working on (from
              different projects) are scattered widely over several directories and
              going to the right one in the selectbox gets bothersome.