Re: Append

  • Dan Gagne
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2007
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "fw7oaks" <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

      > Probably missing something real simple but how do I get a clip to
      > append to an existing file the contents of the clipboard **and leave
      > the cursor at the end of the appended text** ???
      >
      > Many thanks in advance
      >
      > fw

      There are two forms of append

      Do you mean: ^!AppendToFile or ^!Append

      Append To File does just that, it adds your text directly to the end
      of the specified ASCII text file, without opening the file.

      Append on the other hand appends to the end of a declared variable,
      not to the current document

      If you mean to append to a file here is the syntax

      ^!AppendToFile "<explicit path and filename.something>" "Any text that
      you want added"

      The delimiter between the filename and the added text is a space
      character. The quotes in the filename are not necessary, but
      advisable. If you use quotes in the added text, they appear in the file.

      Thank you,

      Dan Gagne
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
        Apologizes for the delay in replying, Yahoo sent this reply very late and out
        of sequence.

        --- Dan Gagne <dgagne@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > There are two forms of append
        >
        > Do you mean: ^!AppendToFile or ^!Append
        >
        > Append To File does just that, it adds your text directly to the end
        > of the specified ASCII text file, without opening the file.

        That was what I meant and results in the cursor being at the start when you
        open the file and not at the end, which is what I wanted.

        My Brain wasn't in 'jump' mode :-)

        Thanks for clarifying the various 'Appends'

        fw
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
          Sounds like what the PasteBoard does, appends to the end of a document,
          and leaves the cursor at the end-doc.

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2007
            fw7oaks wrote:
            > and results in the cursor being at the start when you
            > open the file and not at the end, which is what I wanted.

            There's no way around that as such. Appending to file is totally
            separate process and the open is a normal file open that does not know
            about anything that might have happened before.

            You could wrap that "open" into a clip and follow it with a positioning
            command. And you could even include those two into one clip together
            with the append. But the append itself and as such will not influence
            the file opening in any way.

            Axel
          • frank
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
              why not append the file whichever way you wish, but build a clip to
              open the file and then position cursor at 1:1 ?

              I use a series of clips to open files and just pick the one I want:

              open file > move cursor to start > word wrap on
              open file > move cursor to start > word wrap off
              open file > move cursor to end > word wrap on
              open file > move cursor to end > word wrap off
              open file > move cursor to start > word wrap on > find word
              open file > move cursor to start > word wrap off > find word

              saves me time. You get used to using the clip and not the file > open.

              regards,
              tf
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
                frank wrote:
                > saves me time. You get used to using the clip and not the
                > file > open.

                Well each to his own. I'd say two control sequences are quicker than
                always having to choose from among six clips. But one thing I have found
                nice is a Bar Icon for Reopen:

                ^!Keyboard ALT+F R

                You need to place this fairly far to the right of the submenu won't open
                right. This is a help mainly when the files you're working on (from
                different projects) are scattered widely over several directories and
                going to the right one in the selectbox gets bothersome.