Re: [Clip] Clip to delete Bible books, chapters and verses

  • Jane Sedgewick
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2007
      Do a simple search and replace
      Open search and replace - make sure the Regular Exp box is checked.
      Search for: ^([^;]+);(.*)$
      Replace with: \1

      Hope this helps,
      Jane

      muahelp <muahelp@...> wrote:
      Would you like to help me making the clip to delete the english Bible
      books, chapters and verses.

      Example:

      Matt.26:30; Mat_26:30
      Mark.14:24; Mar_14:24
      Luuk.13:26; Luk_13:26
      Joh.13:4; Joh_13:4
      Ap.t.2:42; Act_2:42

      Result:

      Matt.26:30
      Mark.14:24
      Luuk.13:26
      Joh.13:4
      Ap.t.2:42

    • muahelp
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007

        > muahelp wrote:
        > > Example:
        > > Matt.26:30; Mat_26:30
        >
        > In each of your examples there is a semicolon and in each of them it's
        > the only one there is. Can you rely on that for all possible cases or
        > could there be exceptions, i.e. when more than one verse is cited in a
        > line?
        >
        > Axel

        I use this clip:

        ^!Replace Mat_{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA

        This clip works but leave ;

        Help me?
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
          muahelp wrote:
          > I use this clip:
          > ^!Replace Mat_{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA
          > This clip works but leave ;
          > Help me?

          I don't get it:
          a) This only deals with Matthew, your examples included many other
          books.
          b) If doing it that way, why look for "Mat_" and not for "; Mat_"?

          You've not answered my question so I can't really give good advice, but
          Jane's solution is just what I had in mind. One thing though: Hers works
          in version 4.xx.
          From NoteTab 5.0 upwards the replace string is no longer "\1" but "$1".

          I would have written Jane's version as:

          ^!Replace "^(.+?);(.+?)$" >> "$1" WRAS

          If there is exactly one and only one semicolon the results are the same.
          Jane's solution is more specific for finding the first semicolon.

          Axel
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
            > I use this clip:
            >
            > ^!Replace {Mat_}{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA

            Others have given a better solution. To get the ; out, you need to put
            it in your search string.

            It is either ; or \; I am not sure which without testing.

            ^!Replace ;{Mat_}{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA

            or

            ^!Replace \;{Mat_}{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA

            But again that only does Mat_ and you have others. The regex solutions
            suggested are broader.
          • jane_sedgewick
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>
              wrote:

              > muahelp wrote:
              > > I use this clip:
              > > ^!Replace Mat_{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA
              > > This clip works but leave ;
              > > Help me?
              >
              > I don't get it:
              > a) This only deals with Matthew, your examples included many other
              > books.
              > b) If doing it that way, why look for "Mat_" and not for "; Mat_"?
              >
              > You've not answered my question so I can't really give good
              advice, but
              > Jane's solution is just what I had in mind. One thing though: Hers
              works
              > in version 4.xx.
              > From NoteTab 5.0 upwards the replace string is no longer "\1"
              but "$1".

              > I would have written Jane's version as:
              >
              > ^!Replace "^(.+?);(.+?)$" >> "$1" WRAS
              >
              > If there is exactly one and only one semicolon the results are the
              same.
              > Jane's solution is more specific for finding the first semicolon.
              >
              > Axel

              The reason I used ^([^;]+);(.*)$ instead of ^(.+?);(.+?)$ is that
              although the results are the same, using a lazy match .+? needs to
              backtrack after every letter to check a match and subsequently takes
              64 steps to match any of these lines.
              A negated class ([^;]) will do a match to the semicolon in one move
              and the greedy (.*) after the semicolon moves directly to the end,
              backtracks once to handle the end of line character. This takes only
              8 steps to obtain a match.
              This means in a big file the matches will be made much more
              efficiently, and could impact the time to process.

              Cordially,
              Jane
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2007
                jane_sedgewick wrote:
                > This takes only 8 steps to obtain a match.

                Jane, do you give lessons (an honest question, from that example you
                might well be a good teacher) and can I apply for one of your classes?

                I use the non-greedy version as a matter of course for its reliability
                and because I need not consider side effects as much as with the greedy
                version. (And thiking about side effects tends to be about 90% of the
                work in writing search and replace statements.) But I do appreciate
                that's the sloppy thinking of a bloated Microsoft programmer and it
                lacks any beauty.

                But then an engineer's solution to anything tends to be ugly to look at
                and and in defense I can say that refining a quick one-off hack for
                files of normal length is seldom worth the effort in overall time.

                Axel
              • muahelp
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007

                  > > I use this clip:
                  > >
                  > > ^!Replace {Mat_}{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA
                  > >
                  > Others have given a better solution. To get the ; out, you need to put
                  > it in your search string.
                  >
                  > It is either ; or \; I am not sure which without testing.
                  >
                  > ^!Replace ;{Mat_}{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA
                  >
                  > or
                  >
                  > ^!Replace \;{Mat_}{\d+\:\d+\-*\d*} >> WRSA
                  >
                  > But again that only does Mat_ and you have others. The regex solutions
                  > suggested are broader.

                  Thanks. These clips works ok now.