Re: [Clip] duplicate lines leaving one

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      Dave wrote:
      > Hi
      > How do I remove duplicate lines and leave one,
      > have clip for duplicate lines but it takes all ?
      >
      > Cardamar
      > Various
      > Zilent Zpott

      > I want to leave one of each.
      > THANKYOU DAVE M

      Dave,

      Hugo's right, you don't need a clip to sort. Shift+Ctrl+X Sorts
      Ascending, Shift+Ctrl+Y Sorts Descending. If nothing is selected this
      will sort entire file, with selection made will sort only selection.
      'Options' below should be adjusted to suit before sorting.

      Go to 'View > Options > Tools', in Pro and Std, don't know about 'NT
      Light', 2 checkboxes on the right allow you to customize sorting
      parameters, Case Sensitive and Remove Duplicates.

      Perhaps you would include the clip you're trying to use in a reply,
      might need editing.

      ºvº SL-10-35 -created- 2007.10.05 - 07.58.08

      Great Truths Adults Have Learned:
      "Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside."
      ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        hsavage <hsavage@...> said on Oct 05, 2007 9:16 -0400 (in part):
        > Dave wrote:
        > > Hi
        > > How do I remove duplicate lines and leave one,
        > > have clip for duplicate lines but it takes all ?
        > >
        > > Cardamar
        > > Various
        > > Zilent Zpott
        >

        > > I want to leave one of each.
        > > THANKYOU DAVE M
        >
        > Dave,
        >
        > Hugo's right, you don't need a clip to sort. Shift+Ctrl+X Sorts
        > Ascending, Shift+Ctrl+Y Sorts Descending. If nothing is selected this
        > will sort entire file, with selection made will sort only selection.
        > 'Options' below should be adjusted to suit before sorting.
        >
        > Go to 'View > Options > Tools', in Pro and Std, don't know about 'NT
        > Light', 2 checkboxes on the right allow you to customize sorting
        > parameters, Case Sensitive and Remove Duplicates.
        >
        > Perhaps you would include the clip you're trying to use in a reply,
        > might need editing.
        Problem I found with the above is must return to options to un-toggle
        Remove Duplicates if that's not the way you usually want to do it.

        Assuming you've already sorted the file (either ascending or descending)
        this one-liner regexp should do the trick (either as a clip or in the
        Find/Replace dialog with Regexp ticked):

        ^!replace "^(.*\R)(\1)+" >> "$1" rwais
        ie. replace (a line followed by a line terminator) followed by one or
        more occurrences of the same thing by just one occurrence

        Note: above will leave a doubled last line if (a) its a duplicate and
        (b) doesn't have a <CR><LF> after it. This could be tweaked but is left
        as an exercise for the user. ;-)

        With the blazing speed of Notetab's PCRE engine this is probably as fast
        and easy as it could be.

        Note: above requires Notetab 5.5 (possibly 5.4?) for the \R to match any
        <CR><LF> combo.
        If for some reason you haven't updated yet replace "\R" by "\r\n" or
        "\r?\n" in above if using Unix line endings.

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail