Re: [Clip] duplicate lines leaving one

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      Hi
      should have looked first getting old thanks
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        Dave wrote:
        > Hi
        > How do I remove duplicate lines and leave one,
        > have clip for duplicate lines but it takes all ?
        >
        > Cardamar
        > Various
        > Zilent Zpott

        > I want to leave one of each.
        > THANKYOU DAVE M

        Dave,

        Hugo's right, you don't need a clip to sort. Shift+Ctrl+X Sorts
        Ascending, Shift+Ctrl+Y Sorts Descending. If nothing is selected this
        will sort entire file, with selection made will sort only selection.
        'Options' below should be adjusted to suit before sorting.

        Go to 'View > Options > Tools', in Pro and Std, don't know about 'NT
        Light', 2 checkboxes on the right allow you to customize sorting
        parameters, Case Sensitive and Remove Duplicates.

        Perhaps you would include the clip you're trying to use in a reply,
        might need editing.

        ºvº SL-10-35 -created- 2007.10.05 - 07.58.08

        Great Truths Adults Have Learned:
        "Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside."
        ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
          hsavage <hsavage@...> said on Oct 05, 2007 9:16 -0400 (in part):
          > Dave wrote:
          > > Hi
          > > How do I remove duplicate lines and leave one,
          > > have clip for duplicate lines but it takes all ?
          > >
          > > Cardamar
          > > Various
          > > Zilent Zpott
          >

          > > I want to leave one of each.
          > > THANKYOU DAVE M
          >
          > Dave,
          >
          > Hugo's right, you don't need a clip to sort. Shift+Ctrl+X Sorts
          > Ascending, Shift+Ctrl+Y Sorts Descending. If nothing is selected this
          > will sort entire file, with selection made will sort only selection.
          > 'Options' below should be adjusted to suit before sorting.
          >
          > Go to 'View > Options > Tools', in Pro and Std, don't know about 'NT
          > Light', 2 checkboxes on the right allow you to customize sorting
          > parameters, Case Sensitive and Remove Duplicates.
          >
          > Perhaps you would include the clip you're trying to use in a reply,
          > might need editing.
          Problem I found with the above is must return to options to un-toggle
          Remove Duplicates if that's not the way you usually want to do it.

          Assuming you've already sorted the file (either ascending or descending)
          this one-liner regexp should do the trick (either as a clip or in the
          Find/Replace dialog with Regexp ticked):

          ^!replace "^(.*\R)(\1)+" >> "$1" rwais
          ie. replace (a line followed by a line terminator) followed by one or
          more occurrences of the same thing by just one occurrence

          Note: above will leave a doubled last line if (a) its a duplicate and
          (b) doesn't have a <CR><LF> after it. This could be tweaked but is left
          as an exercise for the user. ;-)

          With the blazing speed of Notetab's PCRE engine this is probably as fast
          and easy as it could be.

          Note: above requires Notetab 5.5 (possibly 5.4?) for the \R to match any
          <CR><LF> combo.
          If for some reason you haven't updated yet replace "\R" by "\r\n" or
          "\r?\n" in above if using Unix line endings.

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail