duplicate lines leaving one

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      Hi
      How do I remove duplicate lines and leave one ,have clip for duplicate lines
      but it takes all ?

      Cardamar
      Cardamar
      Cardamar
      Cardamar
      Various
      Various
      Various
      Zilent Zpott
      Zilent Zpott
      Zilent Zpott

      I want to leave one of each.
      THANKYOU DAVE M
    • Hugo Paulissen
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        You can sort and have duplicates removed. No clips involved. (See under options).

        Hugo

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
          Hi
          should have looked first getting old thanks
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > You can sort and have duplicates removed. No clips involved. (See under
          > options).
          >
          > Hugo

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
            Dave wrote:
            > Hi
            > How do I remove duplicate lines and leave one,
            > have clip for duplicate lines but it takes all ?
            >
            > Cardamar
            > Various
            > Zilent Zpott

            > I want to leave one of each.
            > THANKYOU DAVE M

            Dave,

            Hugo's right, you don't need a clip to sort. Shift+Ctrl+X Sorts
            Ascending, Shift+Ctrl+Y Sorts Descending. If nothing is selected this
            will sort entire file, with selection made will sort only selection.
            'Options' below should be adjusted to suit before sorting.

            Go to 'View > Options > Tools', in Pro and Std, don't know about 'NT
            Light', 2 checkboxes on the right allow you to customize sorting
            parameters, Case Sensitive and Remove Duplicates.

            Perhaps you would include the clip you're trying to use in a reply,
            might need editing.

            ºvº SL-10-35 -created- 2007.10.05 - 07.58.08

            Great Truths Adults Have Learned:
            "Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside."
            ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
          • buralex@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
              hsavage <hsavage@...> said on Oct 05, 2007 9:16 -0400 (in part):
              > Dave wrote:
              > > Hi
              > > How do I remove duplicate lines and leave one,
              > > have clip for duplicate lines but it takes all ?
              > >
              > > Cardamar
              > > Various
              > > Zilent Zpott
              >

              > > I want to leave one of each.
              > > THANKYOU DAVE M
              >
              > Dave,
              >
              > Hugo's right, you don't need a clip to sort. Shift+Ctrl+X Sorts
              > Ascending, Shift+Ctrl+Y Sorts Descending. If nothing is selected this
              > will sort entire file, with selection made will sort only selection.
              > 'Options' below should be adjusted to suit before sorting.
              >
              > Go to 'View > Options > Tools', in Pro and Std, don't know about 'NT
              > Light', 2 checkboxes on the right allow you to customize sorting
              > parameters, Case Sensitive and Remove Duplicates.
              >
              > Perhaps you would include the clip you're trying to use in a reply,
              > might need editing.
              Problem I found with the above is must return to options to un-toggle
              Remove Duplicates if that's not the way you usually want to do it.

              Assuming you've already sorted the file (either ascending or descending)
              this one-liner regexp should do the trick (either as a clip or in the
              Find/Replace dialog with Regexp ticked):

              ^!replace "^(.*\R)(\1)+" >> "$1" rwais
              ie. replace (a line followed by a line terminator) followed by one or
              more occurrences of the same thing by just one occurrence

              Note: above will leave a doubled last line if (a) its a duplicate and
              (b) doesn't have a <CR><LF> after it. This could be tweaked but is left
              as an exercise for the user. ;-)

              With the blazing speed of Notetab's PCRE engine this is probably as fast
              and easy as it could be.

              Note: above requires Notetab 5.5 (possibly 5.4?) for the \R to match any
              <CR><LF> combo.
              If for some reason you haven't updated yet replace "\R" by "\r\n" or
              "\r?\n" in above if using Unix line endings.

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail