Re: [Clip] clip to convert excel files to set width text files

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2007
      "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
      > Anybody already have a clip like this? Am I missing some export
      > or save as that I should just be using from excel to do it?

      The easiest way might be to install the "generic/ text only" printer on
      your machine and have Excel "print to file" through that.

      "prog@..." wrote:
      > Try saving as 'formatted text, space delimited *.prn'

      That's essentially the same thing. I didn't know Windows eXPerimental
      and up made that accessible directly. By the way: Windows has known how
      to "print to file" (*.PRN) from time immemorial but has no idea what to
      with those files afterwords. If you still have a DOS-addressable printer
      on your parallel port you can use the following batch:

      PRINT.BAT:
      copy /B %1 prn

      somewhere in your %path% and make it the standard application for *.PRN
      or add the following to your registry:

      REGEDIT4

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.prn]
      @="Printfile"

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Printfile]
      @="Printer Output"

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Printfile\QuickView]
      @="*"

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Printfile\shell]
      @="print"

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Printfile\shell\open]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Printfile\shell\open\command]
      @="E:\\WINBUNT\\NOTEPAD.EXE -s %1"
      > >----------> insert your favourite editor here <---------<

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Printfile\shell\open\ddeexec]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Printfile\shell\print]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Printfile\shell\print\command]
      @="print.bat %1"