Re: [Clip] Re: Fwd: Clean up screens

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
      Sheri wrote:
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:
      >> Sheri - I haven't tried to debug but neither clip does anything
      >> noticable on my system?
      >>

      > [snip]
      >
      >>> <--- Copy below this line --->
      >>> H="RestoreScreen"
      >>> ;2007-09-24 created by Sheri Pierce
      >
      > [snip]
      >
      > Hi Alec,
      >
      >>From the quoted part of your reply it looks like somehow
      your source (email?) got corrupted.

      > There shouldn't be any spaces before the various equal
      > signs or in the middle of the value names. No telling
      > what the effect might be. You might want to edit your
      > ini file directly to remove "ShowClipboo kBar" etc.
      >
      > Compare what you have in your clip to the source as
      it exists at the group web site.

      > Regards,
      > Sheri

      Sheri, Alec,

      On my system the ClearScreen and RestoreScreen clips do what Sheri
      designed them to do. Without editing before running RestoreScreen shows
      several features I never use.

      The RestoreScreen, however, did point out a bug in Pro, upon restoring
      the 'Toolbar' and 'Clipbar' assumed reversed positions, the clipbar
      became the top bar. I had to do shutdowns and lots of extraneous
      clicking to get them back to the usual positions.

      ºvº SL-09-193 -created- 2007.09.25 - 01.12.02

      "Do These Jeans Make My Bum Look Big? -
      Why Men Lie."
      ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
    • orkgandalf
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
        Cool ! I right clicked and executed the clean screen. Now how can I
        execute the restore screen?
        Ork
      • orkgandalf
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
          Oh Excellent! After posting the question about how to execute the
          restore screen I found it in the in-context menu (hitting ESC).Good
          and thanks for the patience.

          Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen clip
          is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen was hit.
          Is there a way to save all the current variables before executing the
          cleanscreens and then, use these variables to be used in the
          restorescreen? I'm just challenging a bit, but if it's difficult or
          impossible, never mind.

          Ork
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
            orkgandalf wrote:
            > Cool ! I right clicked and executed the clean screen. Now how can I
            > execute the restore screen?
            > Ork

            Press F4.

            ºvº SL-09-196 -created- 2007.09.25 - 09.00.54

            "Errors have been made"...
            "Others will be blamed."
            ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
          • orkgandalf
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
              Oh, F4 didn't help. I used ESC and the in-context dropdown list.
              Thanks anyway.
              Ork

              > orkgandalf wrote:
              > > Cool ! I right clicked and executed the clean screen. Now how can I
              > > execute the restore screen?
              > > Ork
              >
              > Press F4.
              >
              > ·············································
              > ºvº SL-09-196 -created- 2007.09.25 - 09.00.54
              >
              > "Errors have been made"...
              > "Others will be blamed."
              > ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "orkgandalf" <orkgandalf@...> wrote:

                > Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen
                > clip is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen
                > was hit. Is there a way to save all the current variables before
                > executing the cleanscreens and then, use these variables to be
                > used in the restorescreen? I'm just challenging a bit, but if
                > it's difficult or impossible, never mind.

                > Ork

                Hi Ork, Harvey,

                I've posted an enhanced version here:

                The enhanced version allows you to choose which features you want to
                get altered by the Clean and Restore clips.

                I've recommended not to include ShowClipbar among the features getting
                altered, because (as Harvey discovered) it will get positioned above
                the regular Toolbar when Restored. However, after Restoring, if you
                restart NoteTab it goes back to its expected position.

              • Alan C
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                  On 9/25/07, orkgandalf <orkgandalf@...> wrote:
                  [ . . ]

                  Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen clip
                  > is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen was hit.

                  Just a FWIW here: A clip can temporarily switch to a different ini (to load
                  the clear screen?).

                  Then (to restore?) a clip can revert back to using notepro.ini

                  Jody used to sometimes do this (ini switching) and I picked it up from him.

                  And, though doing this would not modify notepro.ini . . .

                  But I'm not aware of all the ramifications involved. So, what I don't know
                  is if this would be more trouble than it's worth even though it would keep
                  notepro.ini from being modified.

                  --
                  Alan.

                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

                    > On 9/25/07, orkgandalf <orkgandalf@...> wrote:
                    > [ . . ]
                    >
                    > > Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen
                    > > clip is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen
                    > > was hit.

                    > Just a FWIW here: A clip can temporarily switch to a different
                    > ini (to load the clear screen?).

                    Here's what I'm finding. A clip can save NoteTab options (to an ini
                    file) and can load NoteTab options (from previously saved file). But
                    said options do find their way into the main ini file, e.g., if you
                    close NoteTab with the options still in effect.

                    It does seem to be a good way of keeping alternate sets of NoteTab
                    options, and definitely easy and uncomplicated compared to existing
                    CleanScreen and RestoreScreen clips.

                    Use the Menu "View" options to get the screen the way you want it,
                    then use "Saveini Uncluttered". Repeat and use "Saveini Cluttered".
                    After that use the "Use Uncluttered ini" and "Use Cluttered ini" to
                    switch back and forth. Only particular options are activated. For
                    example, it doesn't cause the loaded library or clipbar to change. It
                    also doesn't cause the toolbar contents to change even if selected
                    buttons are different in one vs the other.

                    It does seem to restore the Toolbar to the upper berth.

                    H="Saveini Uncluttered"
                    ^!ProgIniSave Uncluttered

                    H="Saveini Cluttered"
                    ^!ProgIniSave Cluttered

                    H="Use Uncluttered ini"
                    ^!ProginiLoad Uncluttered

                    H="Use Cluttered ini"
                    ^!ProginiLoad Cluttered
                  • Alan C
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                      On 9/25/07, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On 9/25/07, orkgandalf <orkgandalf@...> wrote:
                      > > [ . . ]
                      > >
                      > > > Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen
                      > > > clip is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen
                      > > > was hit.
                      >
                      > > Just a FWIW here: A clip can temporarily switch to a different
                      > > ini (to load the clear screen?).
                      >
                      > Here's what I'm finding. A clip can save NoteTab options (to an ini
                      > file) and can load NoteTab options (from previously saved file). But
                      > said options do find their way into the main ini file, e.g., if you
                      > close NoteTab with the options still in effect.

                      Well, yes. But, if I'm not mistaken, to keep unwanted stuff from finding
                      its way into the main ini, what Jody did is to do a ^!ProginiLoad prior to
                      the clip's ending (which loads the main -- unaltered at this point -- ini --
                      when there's no value after the command).

                      (**oops, that's what it is -- this is not a situation of only one clip and
                      reverting/load the main ini before the one clip ends**). Instead, this is a
                      clip and then another clip (2 clips). (I knew I had something crossed
                      somewhere).

                      Oh those cross pollinating ini files.

                      Probably could incorporate into these clips to also to backup the main ini
                      before loading other ini

                      Then, offer as a choice to restore the main ini from backup in the case of
                      user forgets/error in useage (as in shutdown Notetab with other.ini values
                      still in vogue).

                      It does seem to be a good way of keeping alternate sets of NoteTab
                      > options, and definitely easy and uncomplicated compared to existing
                      > CleanScreen and RestoreScreen clips.

                      Some people start Notetab (command line ini optional parameter) with
                      alternates of multiple ini's

                      They do it as an easy way to organize/contain their projects. Notetab just
                      opens with those 30 files from project 1 (my_proj1.ini); NTB opens with
                      those 25 files from project 2 (my_proj2.ini); etc. etc.

                      I wonder if the same file can be simultaneously open and edited in both of 2
                      instances of Notetab (different ini's of course) -- I've never tried this.
                      If so, conceivably could have different configs, in each of the two Notetabs
                      and switch between the two according to which config is wanted at the
                      moment. But I suppose it might be confusing to try and operate in this way
                      though.

                      Well, whatever. I'm likely musing more so than doing anything else.

                      If Notetab had a way to, upon closing, warn the user given if another ini's
                      values are currently in vogue and yes/no to discard rather than save these "
                      other.ini" values (puts a stop to the cross pollinating of ini files).

                      --
                      Alan.