[Clip] Re: Fwd: Clean up screens

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 24 8:37 PM
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:

      > Sheri - I haven't tried to debug but neither clip does anything
      > noticable on my system?

      [snip]

      > > <--- Copy below this line --->
      > > H="RestoreScreen"
      > > ;2007-09-24 created by Sheri Pierce
      > > ;restores the visibility of items hidden with ClearScreen clip
      > > ;usual clip launching areas are hidden but you can
      > > ;use the in-context clipbook to run this clip
      > > ^!SaveValue Options:ShowToolbar =1
      > > ^!SaveValue Options:ShowClipbar =1
      > > ^!SaveValue Options:ShowClipboo kBar=1

      [snip]

      Hi Alec,

      From the quoted part of your reply it looks like somehow your source
      (email?) got corrupted.

      There shouldn't be any spaces before the various equal signs or in the
      middle of the value names. No telling what the effect might be. You
      might want to edit your ini file directly to remove "ShowClipboo kBar"
      etc.

      Compare what you have in your clip to the source as it exists at the
      group web site.

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 24 11:27 PM
        Sheri wrote:
        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:
        >> Sheri - I haven't tried to debug but neither clip does anything
        >> noticable on my system?
        >>

        > [snip]
        >
        >>> <--- Copy below this line --->
        >>> H="RestoreScreen"
        >>> ;2007-09-24 created by Sheri Pierce
        >
        > [snip]
        >
        > Hi Alec,
        >
        >>From the quoted part of your reply it looks like somehow
        your source (email?) got corrupted.

        > There shouldn't be any spaces before the various equal
        > signs or in the middle of the value names. No telling
        > what the effect might be. You might want to edit your
        > ini file directly to remove "ShowClipboo kBar" etc.
        >
        > Compare what you have in your clip to the source as
        it exists at the group web site.

        > Regards,
        > Sheri

        Sheri, Alec,

        On my system the ClearScreen and RestoreScreen clips do what Sheri
        designed them to do. Without editing before running RestoreScreen shows
        several features I never use.

        The RestoreScreen, however, did point out a bug in Pro, upon restoring
        the 'Toolbar' and 'Clipbar' assumed reversed positions, the clipbar
        became the top bar. I had to do shutdowns and lots of extraneous
        clicking to get them back to the usual positions.

        ºvº SL-09-193 -created- 2007.09.25 - 01.12.02

        "Do These Jeans Make My Bum Look Big? -
        Why Men Lie."
        ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
      • orkgandalf
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 25 6:08 AM
          Cool ! I right clicked and executed the clean screen. Now how can I
          execute the restore screen?
          Ork
        • orkgandalf
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 25 6:21 AM
            Oh Excellent! After posting the question about how to execute the
            restore screen I found it in the in-context menu (hitting ESC).Good
            and thanks for the patience.

            Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen clip
            is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen was hit.
            Is there a way to save all the current variables before executing the
            cleanscreens and then, use these variables to be used in the
            restorescreen? I'm just challenging a bit, but if it's difficult or
            impossible, never mind.

            Ork
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 25 7:01 AM
              orkgandalf wrote:
              > Cool ! I right clicked and executed the clean screen. Now how can I
              > execute the restore screen?
              > Ork

              Press F4.

              ºvº SL-09-196 -created- 2007.09.25 - 09.00.54

              "Errors have been made"...
              "Others will be blamed."
              ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • orkgandalf
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 25 7:05 AM
                Oh, F4 didn't help. I used ESC and the in-context dropdown list.
                Thanks anyway.
                Ork

                > orkgandalf wrote:
                > > Cool ! I right clicked and executed the clean screen. Now how can I
                > > execute the restore screen?
                > > Ork
                >
                > Press F4.
                >
                > ·············································
                > ºvº SL-09-196 -created- 2007.09.25 - 09.00.54
                >
                > "Errors have been made"...
                > "Others will be blamed."
                > ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 25 11:15 AM
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "orkgandalf" <orkgandalf@...> wrote:

                  > Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen
                  > clip is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen
                  > was hit. Is there a way to save all the current variables before
                  > executing the cleanscreens and then, use these variables to be
                  > used in the restorescreen? I'm just challenging a bit, but if
                  > it's difficult or impossible, never mind.

                  > Ork

                  Hi Ork, Harvey,

                  I've posted an enhanced version here:

                  The enhanced version allows you to choose which features you want to
                  get altered by the Clean and Restore clips.

                  I've recommended not to include ShowClipbar among the features getting
                  altered, because (as Harvey discovered) it will get positioned above
                  the regular Toolbar when Restored. However, after Restoring, if you
                  restart NoteTab it goes back to its expected position.

                • Alan C
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 25 11:34 AM
                    On 9/25/07, orkgandalf <orkgandalf@...> wrote:
                    [ . . ]

                    Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen clip
                    > is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen was hit.

                    Just a FWIW here: A clip can temporarily switch to a different ini (to load
                    the clear screen?).

                    Then (to restore?) a clip can revert back to using notepro.ini

                    Jody used to sometimes do this (ini switching) and I picked it up from him.

                    And, though doing this would not modify notepro.ini . . .

                    But I'm not aware of all the ramifications involved. So, what I don't know
                    is if this would be more trouble than it's worth even though it would keep
                    notepro.ini from being modified.

                    --
                    Alan.

                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 25 2:22 PM
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

                      > On 9/25/07, orkgandalf <orkgandalf@...> wrote:
                      > [ . . ]
                      >
                      > > Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen
                      > > clip is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen
                      > > was hit.

                      > Just a FWIW here: A clip can temporarily switch to a different
                      > ini (to load the clear screen?).

                      Here's what I'm finding. A clip can save NoteTab options (to an ini
                      file) and can load NoteTab options (from previously saved file). But
                      said options do find their way into the main ini file, e.g., if you
                      close NoteTab with the options still in effect.

                      It does seem to be a good way of keeping alternate sets of NoteTab
                      options, and definitely easy and uncomplicated compared to existing
                      CleanScreen and RestoreScreen clips.

                      Use the Menu "View" options to get the screen the way you want it,
                      then use "Saveini Uncluttered". Repeat and use "Saveini Cluttered".
                      After that use the "Use Uncluttered ini" and "Use Cluttered ini" to
                      switch back and forth. Only particular options are activated. For
                      example, it doesn't cause the loaded library or clipbar to change. It
                      also doesn't cause the toolbar contents to change even if selected
                      buttons are different in one vs the other.

                      It does seem to restore the Toolbar to the upper berth.

                      H="Saveini Uncluttered"
                      ^!ProgIniSave Uncluttered

                      H="Saveini Cluttered"
                      ^!ProgIniSave Cluttered

                      H="Use Uncluttered ini"
                      ^!ProginiLoad Uncluttered

                      H="Use Cluttered ini"
                      ^!ProginiLoad Cluttered
                    • Alan C
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 25 10:26 PM
                        On 9/25/07, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On 9/25/07, orkgandalf <orkgandalf@...> wrote:
                        > > [ . . ]
                        > >
                        > > > Now I'd like to enhance it more as I noted that the restorescreen
                        > > > clip is restoring bars that were not showing when the cleanscreen
                        > > > was hit.
                        >
                        > > Just a FWIW here: A clip can temporarily switch to a different
                        > > ini (to load the clear screen?).
                        >
                        > Here's what I'm finding. A clip can save NoteTab options (to an ini
                        > file) and can load NoteTab options (from previously saved file). But
                        > said options do find their way into the main ini file, e.g., if you
                        > close NoteTab with the options still in effect.

                        Well, yes. But, if I'm not mistaken, to keep unwanted stuff from finding
                        its way into the main ini, what Jody did is to do a ^!ProginiLoad prior to
                        the clip's ending (which loads the main -- unaltered at this point -- ini --
                        when there's no value after the command).

                        (**oops, that's what it is -- this is not a situation of only one clip and
                        reverting/load the main ini before the one clip ends**). Instead, this is a
                        clip and then another clip (2 clips). (I knew I had something crossed
                        somewhere).

                        Oh those cross pollinating ini files.

                        Probably could incorporate into these clips to also to backup the main ini
                        before loading other ini

                        Then, offer as a choice to restore the main ini from backup in the case of
                        user forgets/error in useage (as in shutdown Notetab with other.ini values
                        still in vogue).

                        It does seem to be a good way of keeping alternate sets of NoteTab
                        > options, and definitely easy and uncomplicated compared to existing
                        > CleanScreen and RestoreScreen clips.

                        Some people start Notetab (command line ini optional parameter) with
                        alternates of multiple ini's

                        They do it as an easy way to organize/contain their projects. Notetab just
                        opens with those 30 files from project 1 (my_proj1.ini); NTB opens with
                        those 25 files from project 2 (my_proj2.ini); etc. etc.

                        I wonder if the same file can be simultaneously open and edited in both of 2
                        instances of Notetab (different ini's of course) -- I've never tried this.
                        If so, conceivably could have different configs, in each of the two Notetabs
                        and switch between the two according to which config is wanted at the
                        moment. But I suppose it might be confusing to try and operate in this way
                        though.

                        Well, whatever. I'm likely musing more so than doing anything else.

                        If Notetab had a way to, upon closing, warn the user given if another ini's
                        values are currently in vogue and yes/no to discard rather than save these "
                        other.ini" values (puts a stop to the cross pollinating of ini files).

                        --
                        Alan.