Re: [Clip] Absolute to Relative HTML Address Converter Clip

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2007
      clipuser wrote:
      > (I wanted to avoid the hassle of revising a large number of
      > relative addresses each time I revised the evolving
      > folder structure.)

      I don't see you logic. With absolute you have to work in every little
      change, relative stays the same if you move several things together.

      That said you now want to redo lots of files. The relative position does
      not only depend on the target but also the file you are working on - not
      easy. My suggestion would be to go half way and make all URLs start from
      your root.
      I.e. every "http://mydomain.com/first/second/third/file.htm" becomes
      "/first/second/third/file.htm" beginning with a slash. Of course
      "fourth/image.jpg" is nicer than "/first/second/third/fourth/image.jpg"
      but you have to balance nicety against effort.

      The disadvantage is that those links won't work on your drive at home.
      But there you have
      subst b: f:\myprojects\current_project
      best run from a batch.
      Then your project sits in the root of B: at home and the root of the
      server when submitted.

      Axel
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 18, 2007
        clipuser wrote:
        > Does anyone know of a clip that will convert Absolute URLs contained
        > in HTML code into Relative URLs based on the folder structure in which
        > the HTML files are contained?
        >
        > I have drafted many pages with many links for a new web site using
        > absolute addresses. I used absolute addresses so that I can test them
        > on my PC before publishing them. (I wanted to avoid the hassle of
        > revising a large number of relative addresses each time I revised the
        > evolving folder structure.) Now I want to convert the addresses to
        > relative addresses before uploading them to the server.

        Search and replace either straight up or regex. You should simply be
        removing the same thing from the front of every url it seems to me. I
        have a client who pays me to do this all the time using notetab.