[Clip] Re: FTP open document from NoteTab directly to server?

  • tuttle.grey
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
      On Tue, September 18, 2007 12:38 pm, Sheri wrote:
      > tuttle.grey wrote:
      >> Would it be possible to add an enhancement? Currently the user must
      >> pre-configure the destination directory "remote folder for uploads"
      >> during "Create Custom Server". However, for web sites with multiple
      >> sub-directories that is inconvenient as it would require creation
      of
      >> a separate template for each directory.
      >>
      >> Could you enable this:
      >> 1. User configures "Create Custom Server" with top-level directory
      in
      >> the account of the web server.
      >> 2. User executes "Upload Current Doc".
      >> 3. FTP.exe connects to server, and your clip displays available
      sub-
      >> directories. 4. User selects from list of available sub-
      directories,
      >> to specify target upload directory.
      >> 5. User confirms and documents is uploaded to selected directory.
      >>
      >> Would that be possible?
      >>

      > Yes, I could do that, but only sort of. There doesn't seem to be a
      way
      > to ask for only directories. I can get a file list from the top
      level
      > directory. That returns a mixture of file and directory names.

      I think that would be okay. It's consistent with the view I see in an
      FTP client, in which I see directories followed by filenames.

      > Then I
      > can filter it so that names with periods in them are removed. So,
      only
      > the "file" names having no periods from the top level directory
      will be
      > shown. I guess that might include some actual file names and exclude
      > some actual directory names. Would it work for you?

      The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
      filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would save
      you work writing the filter.

      > Also, I would use features of the current version of NoteTab
      > (so version 5.4 or later will be required).

      That's fine, as I have 5.4.

      >> Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the
      clip
      >> isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom Server"
      >> details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload Current
      Doc" I
      >> get this error info.:
      >>
      >> FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:
      >> ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.
      >>
      >> ftp> open mydomain.com
      >> Invalid command.
      >>
      >> ftp> myusername
      >> Invalid command.
      >>
      >> ftp> password
      >> Not connected.
      >>
      >> ftp> cd public_html
      >> Not connected.
      >>
      >> ftp> ascii
      >> Local directory now C:\Program Files\Web Building Tools\NoteTab
      >> Pro\testdocument.htm.
      >>
      >> ftp> lcd
      >> Not connected.
      >>
      >> ftp> put "FTP Custom Readme.txt"
      >> quit
      >>

      >> Note that I am able to connect to that server, using that username
      >> and password, if I launch FTP.exe directly in a command window so I
      >> know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.
      >>
      >> Thanks.
      >> (from Yahoo site - mail reply not working)
      >>
      > I don't know. From the output it looks like its doing "open
      > mydomain.com", which would be correct.
      >
      > Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the clip?

      Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
      connected.

      > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.

      I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
      firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
      virus doesn't block connections.

      Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
      can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same login,
      so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.

      > I will post a update later today.

      That is great! Thanks so much Sheri!
      (posted from Yahoo site - mail reply not working for some reason)
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

        > The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
        > filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would
        > save you work writing the filter.

        Filtering is necessary, but fortunately I figured out how to get
        directories without tampering with periods.

        > > Also, I would use features of the current version of NoteTab
        > > (so version 5.4 or later will be required).
        >
        > That's fine, as I have 5.4.

        Ok, it or later is now required.

        >>> Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the
        >>> clip isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom
        >>> Server" details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload
        >>> Current Doc" I get this error info.:

        I activated a -d debug flag on the ftp command line, if its still not
        working maybe that will help us.

        >> Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the clip?
        >
        > Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
        > connected.
        >
        > > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.
        >
        > I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
        > firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
        > virus doesn't block connections.
        >
        > Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
        > can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same login,
        > so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.

        Are there multiple FTP.exe's on you system? You did say it worked with
        the original FTP clip library right? You don't need "Accounts" in
        addition to user name and password, do you (not presently implemented).

        Sure hope we can get it working for you, its working super for me!

      • tuttle.grey
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 19, 2007
          On Tue, September 18, 2007 7:14 pm, Sheri wrote:

          > I activated a -d debug flag on the ftp command line, if its still
          not
          > working maybe that will help us.
          >
          >>> Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the
          clip?

          >> Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
          >> connected.
          >>
          >> > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.
          >>
          >> I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
          >> firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
          >> virus doesn't block connections.
          >>
          >> Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
          >> can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same
          login,
          >> so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.
          >
          > Are there multiple FTP.exe's on you system? You did say it worked
          with
          > the original FTP clip library right? You don't need "Accounts" in
          > addition to user name and password, do you (not presently
          implemented).

          > Sure hope we can get it working for you, its working super for me!

          Thanks Sheri.

          I installed your latest v1.1. I created a custom server and then
          tried "Upload Current Doc". Here's what I got:

          FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:

          FTP failure. Unable to Retrieve list of folders for tuttle
          public_html.
          ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.

          ftp> open mydomain.com
          Invalid command.

          ftp> alantext
          Invalid command.

          ftp> mypassword
          Not connected.

          ftp> cd public_html
          ftp>
          Not connected.

          ftp> dir . "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\NoteTab
          Pro\FTPCustomServeList.txt"
          bye

          I just don't get it. I can launch FTP.exe directly in a command
          window with the same login, so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect
          to my server. It even works with
          the original FTP clip library. There is only one FTP.exe on my system.

          What else should I try?
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 19, 2007
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

            > What else should I try?

            Check your private mail.

          • Wiz Feinberg
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 19, 2007

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@> wrote:
              >
              > > The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
              > > filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would
              > > save you work writing the filter.
              >
              > Filtering is necessary, but fortunately I figured out how to get
              > directories without tampering with periods.
              > >

              > Regards,
              > Sheri

              I would like to chirp in here, regarding the discussion of filtering
              out files and folders beginning with a period. I can't imagine that I
              am the only webmaster who uses NoteTab Pro for their HTML and web
              support files editor, and the file that I update most frequently is
              named: ".htaccess". I use WS_FTP as my FTP client, but am interested
              in the NoteTab Pro direct FTP solutions being discussed in this
              thread. I would not be able to use your clips if they indeed do filter
              out hidden Apache files or folders (I update some folders I have
              purposely hidden with a period prefix).

              I also have numerous sub-directories under public_html (my web root),
              and they have sub-directories, in many cases. Navigation to the
              correct destination directory is imperative for webmasters like me.

              Just my 2 cents. Keep up the fine work Sheri!

              PS: I would be happy to test your FTP clips on my own server. Note
              that I use SFTP to login, for security. I can also login with standard
              FTP if SSH login is not possible in your solutions.

              Wiz
            • frank
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                hi wiz et.al.

                I just build a clip for each account such:

                ==========

                ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileName(^**)$
                ^!Set %FullPath%="C:\Full\Local\Path\^%FileName%"
                ^!Set %FTPPath%="C:\Program Files\WS_FTP\WS_FTP95.exe"
                ^!Set %ServerPath%="/public_html/"
                ^!Set %ProfileName%="wsftp_profile_name"
                ^!^%FTPPath% local:^%FullPath% ^%ProfileName%:^%ServerPath%
                ^!Goto End

                notes:

                1. the profile name cannot include any spaces.
                2. use a trailing / for the %ServerPath% var.
                3. this will FTP the open focused file in NTP.

                regards,

                tf
                http://www.icosagame.com