Re: FTP open document from NoteTab directly to server?

  • tuttle.grey
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 18 1:26 AM

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@> wrote:
      >>

      >> Here's what I think would be ideal:
      >>
      >> 1. Right-click on document tab, and execute a command "FTP".
      >> 2. Select the destination server from a pre-configured list.
      >> 3. Select the destination directory from a pre-configured list.
      >> 4. Confirm or "okay" to upload the open file.
      >>
      >> Is this possible? If so, how could it be done? Has anyone created a
      >> clip/library to do this?
      >>

      > I made a little clip library based on your suggestions. It uses
      > Windows FTP client FTP.exe (as does the regular FTP clip library).
      You
      > can set up multiple servers which contribute to making a
      > pre-configured list of destination servers.
      >
      > In addition to a clip for uploading the current document, there is
      > also a clip for uploading multiple files based on a wildcard
      filespec.

      > I don't maintain a site, so there may be things I've missed. Also my
      > testing was done in XP Pro (and NoteTab Pro version 5.4.). Please
      let
      > me know how it works out for you.

      > Regards,
      > Sheri

      Wow, that's fantastic. Thanks!

      Would it be possible to add an enhancement? Currently the user must
      pre-configure the destination directory "remote folder for uploads"
      during "Create Custom Server". However, for web sites with multiple
      sub-directories that is inconvenient as it would require creation of
      a separate template for each directory.

      Could you enable this:
      1. User configures "Create Custom Server" with top-level directory in
      the account of the web server.
      2. User executes "Upload Current Doc".
      3. FTP.exe connects to server, and your clip displays available sub-
      directories. 4. User selects from list of available sub-directories,
      to specify target upload directory.
      5. User confirms and documents is uploaded to selected directory.

      Would that be possible?

      Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the clip
      isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom Server"
      details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload Current Doc" I
      get this error info.:

      FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:
      ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.

      ftp> open mydomain.com
      Invalid command.

      ftp> myusername
      Invalid command.

      ftp> password
      Not connected.

      ftp> cd public_html
      Not connected.

      ftp> ascii
      Local directory now C:\Program Files\Web Building Tools\NoteTab
      Pro\testdocument.htm.

      ftp> lcd
      Not connected.

      ftp> put "FTP Custom Readme.txt"
      quit

      Note that I am able to connect to that server, using that username
      and password, if I launch FTP.exe directly in a command window so I
      know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.

      Thanks.
      (from Yahoo site - mail reply not working)
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 18 9:38 AM
        tuttle.grey wrote:
        > Would it be possible to add an enhancement? Currently the user must
        > pre-configure the destination directory "remote folder for uploads"
        > during "Create Custom Server". However, for web sites with multiple
        > sub-directories that is inconvenient as it would require creation of
        > a separate template for each directory.
        >
        > Could you enable this:
        > 1. User configures "Create Custom Server" with top-level directory in
        > the account of the web server.
        > 2. User executes "Upload Current Doc".
        > 3. FTP.exe connects to server, and your clip displays available sub-
        > directories. 4. User selects from list of available sub-directories,
        > to specify target upload directory.
        > 5. User confirms and documents is uploaded to selected directory.
        >
        > Would that be possible?

        Yes, I could do that, but only sort of. There doesn't seem to be a way
        to ask for only directories. I can get a file list from the top level
        directory. That returns a mixture of file and directory names. Then I
        can filter it so that names with periods in them are removed. So, only
        the "file" names having no periods from the top level directory will be
        shown. I guess that might include some actual file names and exclude
        some actual directory names. Would it work for you? Also, I would use
        features of the current version of NoteTab (so version 5.4 or later will
        be required).

        > Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the clip
        > isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom Server"
        > details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload Current Doc" I
        > get this error info.:
        >
        > FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:
        > ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.
        >
        > ftp> open mydomain.com
        > Invalid command.
        >
        > ftp> myusername
        > Invalid command.
        >
        > ftp> password
        > Not connected.
        >
        > ftp> cd public_html
        > Not connected.
        >
        > ftp> ascii
        > Local directory now C:\Program Files\Web Building Tools\NoteTab
        > Pro\testdocument.htm.
        >
        > ftp> lcd
        > Not connected.
        >
        > ftp> put "FTP Custom Readme.txt"
        > quit
        >

        > Note that I am able to connect to that server, using that username
        > and password, if I launch FTP.exe directly in a command window so I
        > know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > (from Yahoo site - mail reply not working)

        I don't know. From the output it looks like its doing "open
        mydomain.com", which would be correct.

        Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the clip? I'm
        on cable so I'm always on. Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause
        interference. I initially had problems but found that Norton Antivirus
        was prompting behind the NoteTab window to see if it was ok to let a
        port listen for FTP responses. Now its set to allow that.

        I seem to have forgotten to decode the server text in the clip for
        editing server details. I will post a update later today.

      • tuttle.grey
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 18 11:55 AM
          On Tue, September 18, 2007 12:38 pm, Sheri wrote:
          > tuttle.grey wrote:
          >> Would it be possible to add an enhancement? Currently the user must
          >> pre-configure the destination directory "remote folder for uploads"
          >> during "Create Custom Server". However, for web sites with multiple
          >> sub-directories that is inconvenient as it would require creation
          of
          >> a separate template for each directory.
          >>
          >> Could you enable this:
          >> 1. User configures "Create Custom Server" with top-level directory
          in
          >> the account of the web server.
          >> 2. User executes "Upload Current Doc".
          >> 3. FTP.exe connects to server, and your clip displays available
          sub-
          >> directories. 4. User selects from list of available sub-
          directories,
          >> to specify target upload directory.
          >> 5. User confirms and documents is uploaded to selected directory.
          >>
          >> Would that be possible?
          >>

          > Yes, I could do that, but only sort of. There doesn't seem to be a
          way
          > to ask for only directories. I can get a file list from the top
          level
          > directory. That returns a mixture of file and directory names.

          I think that would be okay. It's consistent with the view I see in an
          FTP client, in which I see directories followed by filenames.

          > Then I
          > can filter it so that names with periods in them are removed. So,
          only
          > the "file" names having no periods from the top level directory
          will be
          > shown. I guess that might include some actual file names and exclude
          > some actual directory names. Would it work for you?

          The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
          filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would save
          you work writing the filter.

          > Also, I would use features of the current version of NoteTab
          > (so version 5.4 or later will be required).

          That's fine, as I have 5.4.

          >> Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the
          clip
          >> isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom Server"
          >> details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload Current
          Doc" I
          >> get this error info.:
          >>
          >> FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:
          >> ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.
          >>
          >> ftp> open mydomain.com
          >> Invalid command.
          >>
          >> ftp> myusername
          >> Invalid command.
          >>
          >> ftp> password
          >> Not connected.
          >>
          >> ftp> cd public_html
          >> Not connected.
          >>
          >> ftp> ascii
          >> Local directory now C:\Program Files\Web Building Tools\NoteTab
          >> Pro\testdocument.htm.
          >>
          >> ftp> lcd
          >> Not connected.
          >>
          >> ftp> put "FTP Custom Readme.txt"
          >> quit
          >>

          >> Note that I am able to connect to that server, using that username
          >> and password, if I launch FTP.exe directly in a command window so I
          >> know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.
          >>
          >> Thanks.
          >> (from Yahoo site - mail reply not working)
          >>
          > I don't know. From the output it looks like its doing "open
          > mydomain.com", which would be correct.
          >
          > Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the clip?

          Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
          connected.

          > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.

          I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
          firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
          virus doesn't block connections.

          Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
          can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same login,
          so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.

          > I will post a update later today.

          That is great! Thanks so much Sheri!
          (posted from Yahoo site - mail reply not working for some reason)
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 18 4:14 PM
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

            > The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
            > filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would
            > save you work writing the filter.

            Filtering is necessary, but fortunately I figured out how to get
            directories without tampering with periods.

            > > Also, I would use features of the current version of NoteTab
            > > (so version 5.4 or later will be required).
            >
            > That's fine, as I have 5.4.

            Ok, it or later is now required.

            >>> Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the
            >>> clip isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom
            >>> Server" details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload
            >>> Current Doc" I get this error info.:

            I activated a -d debug flag on the ftp command line, if its still not
            working maybe that will help us.

            >> Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the clip?
            >
            > Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
            > connected.
            >
            > > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.
            >
            > I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
            > firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
            > virus doesn't block connections.
            >
            > Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
            > can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same login,
            > so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.

            Are there multiple FTP.exe's on you system? You did say it worked with
            the original FTP clip library right? You don't need "Accounts" in
            addition to user name and password, do you (not presently implemented).

            Sure hope we can get it working for you, its working super for me!

          • tuttle.grey
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 19 6:34 AM
              On Tue, September 18, 2007 7:14 pm, Sheri wrote:

              > I activated a -d debug flag on the ftp command line, if its still
              not
              > working maybe that will help us.
              >
              >>> Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the
              clip?

              >> Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
              >> connected.
              >>
              >> > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.
              >>
              >> I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
              >> firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
              >> virus doesn't block connections.
              >>
              >> Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
              >> can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same
              login,
              >> so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.
              >
              > Are there multiple FTP.exe's on you system? You did say it worked
              with
              > the original FTP clip library right? You don't need "Accounts" in
              > addition to user name and password, do you (not presently
              implemented).

              > Sure hope we can get it working for you, its working super for me!

              Thanks Sheri.

              I installed your latest v1.1. I created a custom server and then
              tried "Upload Current Doc". Here's what I got:

              FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:

              FTP failure. Unable to Retrieve list of folders for tuttle
              public_html.
              ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.

              ftp> open mydomain.com
              Invalid command.

              ftp> alantext
              Invalid command.

              ftp> mypassword
              Not connected.

              ftp> cd public_html
              ftp>
              Not connected.

              ftp> dir . "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\NoteTab
              Pro\FTPCustomServeList.txt"
              bye

              I just don't get it. I can launch FTP.exe directly in a command
              window with the same login, so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect
              to my server. It even works with
              the original FTP clip library. There is only one FTP.exe on my system.

              What else should I try?
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 19 8:04 AM
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                > What else should I try?

                Check your private mail.

              • Wiz Feinberg
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 19 9:44 AM

                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
                  > > filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would
                  > > save you work writing the filter.
                  >
                  > Filtering is necessary, but fortunately I figured out how to get
                  > directories without tampering with periods.
                  > >

                  > Regards,
                  > Sheri

                  I would like to chirp in here, regarding the discussion of filtering
                  out files and folders beginning with a period. I can't imagine that I
                  am the only webmaster who uses NoteTab Pro for their HTML and web
                  support files editor, and the file that I update most frequently is
                  named: ".htaccess". I use WS_FTP as my FTP client, but am interested
                  in the NoteTab Pro direct FTP solutions being discussed in this
                  thread. I would not be able to use your clips if they indeed do filter
                  out hidden Apache files or folders (I update some folders I have
                  purposely hidden with a period prefix).

                  I also have numerous sub-directories under public_html (my web root),
                  and they have sub-directories, in many cases. Navigation to the
                  correct destination directory is imperative for webmasters like me.

                  Just my 2 cents. Keep up the fine work Sheri!

                  PS: I would be happy to test your FTP clips on my own server. Note
                  that I use SFTP to login, for security. I can also login with standard
                  FTP if SSH login is not possible in your solutions.

                  Wiz
                • frank
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 20 9:43 AM
                    hi wiz et.al.

                    I just build a clip for each account such:

                    ==========

                    ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileName(^**)$
                    ^!Set %FullPath%="C:\Full\Local\Path\^%FileName%"
                    ^!Set %FTPPath%="C:\Program Files\WS_FTP\WS_FTP95.exe"
                    ^!Set %ServerPath%="/public_html/"
                    ^!Set %ProfileName%="wsftp_profile_name"
                    ^!^%FTPPath% local:^%FullPath% ^%ProfileName%:^%ServerPath%
                    ^!Goto End

                    notes:

                    1. the profile name cannot include any spaces.
                    2. use a trailing / for the %ServerPath% var.
                    3. this will FTP the open focused file in NTP.

                    regards,

                    tf
                    http://www.icosagame.com