FTP open document from NoteTab directly to server?

  • tuttle.grey
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
      I have NoteTab Pro 5.4 and Windows 98SE.

      I edit web site files locally on my PC, in NoteTab Pro. When I edit a
      file, I'd like to be able to quickly FTP that file up to the web site
      just by clicking a command in NoteTab.

      I've tried using the FTP Clipbook library that comes with NoteTab, but
      it doesn't really do what I want: it requires you to manually enter the
      destination directory on the server and manually enter the list of
      files to upload.

      Here's what I think would be ideal:

      1. Right-click on document tab, and execute a command "FTP".
      2. Select the destination server from a pre-configured list.
      3. Select the destination directory from a pre-configured list.
      4. Confirm or "okay" to upload the open file.

      Is this possible? If so, how could it be done? Has anyone created a
      clip/library to do this?
    • frank
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14, 2007
        it could actually be simpler than what you are thinking. if you use a
        local FTP client that allows command-line instructions, you can build a
        clip that will FTP the saved document to the indicated directory on
        your webserver. the transfer can happen in the background which allows
        you to set focus on your next document and continue working.

        you could also build a clip wizard that would allow you to specify
        filenames, but this method could be limited to using the profiles that
        you preset in your FTP client.

        I use WS_FTP primarily because it allows me to FTP from a clip. but I
        suspect there would be other conforming FTP clients also.

        regards,

        tf
        http://www.icosagame.com
      • account
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15, 2007
          Friends,

          This is easy, if you use TC Take Commander. Use the ntp to do what you
          want, and in the moment to ftp use TC (Shell, etc).

          I use a lot, with 100% success.
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15, 2007
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

            > Here's what I think would be ideal:
            >
            > 1. Right-click on document tab, and execute a command "FTP".
            > 2. Select the destination server from a pre-configured list.
            > 3. Select the destination directory from a pre-configured list.
            > 4. Confirm or "okay" to upload the open file.
            >
            > Is this possible? If so, how could it be done? Has anyone created a
            > clip/library to do this?

            I made a little clip library based on your suggestions. It uses
            Windows FTP client FTP.exe (as does the regular FTP clip library). You
            can set up multiple servers which contribute to making a
            pre-configured list of destination servers.

            In addition to a clip for uploading the current document, there is
            also a clip for uploading multiple files based on a wildcard filespec.

            I don't maintain a site, so there may be things I've missed. Also my
            testing was done in XP Pro (and NoteTab Pro version 5.4.). Please let
            me know how it works out for you.

          • tuttle.grey
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@> wrote:
              >>

              >> Here's what I think would be ideal:
              >>
              >> 1. Right-click on document tab, and execute a command "FTP".
              >> 2. Select the destination server from a pre-configured list.
              >> 3. Select the destination directory from a pre-configured list.
              >> 4. Confirm or "okay" to upload the open file.
              >>
              >> Is this possible? If so, how could it be done? Has anyone created a
              >> clip/library to do this?
              >>

              > I made a little clip library based on your suggestions. It uses
              > Windows FTP client FTP.exe (as does the regular FTP clip library).
              You
              > can set up multiple servers which contribute to making a
              > pre-configured list of destination servers.
              >
              > In addition to a clip for uploading the current document, there is
              > also a clip for uploading multiple files based on a wildcard
              filespec.

              > I don't maintain a site, so there may be things I've missed. Also my
              > testing was done in XP Pro (and NoteTab Pro version 5.4.). Please
              let
              > me know how it works out for you.

              > Regards,
              > Sheri

              Wow, that's fantastic. Thanks!

              Would it be possible to add an enhancement? Currently the user must
              pre-configure the destination directory "remote folder for uploads"
              during "Create Custom Server". However, for web sites with multiple
              sub-directories that is inconvenient as it would require creation of
              a separate template for each directory.

              Could you enable this:
              1. User configures "Create Custom Server" with top-level directory in
              the account of the web server.
              2. User executes "Upload Current Doc".
              3. FTP.exe connects to server, and your clip displays available sub-
              directories. 4. User selects from list of available sub-directories,
              to specify target upload directory.
              5. User confirms and documents is uploaded to selected directory.

              Would that be possible?

              Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the clip
              isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom Server"
              details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload Current Doc" I
              get this error info.:

              FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:
              ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.

              ftp> open mydomain.com
              Invalid command.

              ftp> myusername
              Invalid command.

              ftp> password
              Not connected.

              ftp> cd public_html
              Not connected.

              ftp> ascii
              Local directory now C:\Program Files\Web Building Tools\NoteTab
              Pro\testdocument.htm.

              ftp> lcd
              Not connected.

              ftp> put "FTP Custom Readme.txt"
              quit

              Note that I am able to connect to that server, using that username
              and password, if I launch FTP.exe directly in a command window so I
              know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.

              Thanks.
              (from Yahoo site - mail reply not working)
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                tuttle.grey wrote:
                > Would it be possible to add an enhancement? Currently the user must
                > pre-configure the destination directory "remote folder for uploads"
                > during "Create Custom Server". However, for web sites with multiple
                > sub-directories that is inconvenient as it would require creation of
                > a separate template for each directory.
                >
                > Could you enable this:
                > 1. User configures "Create Custom Server" with top-level directory in
                > the account of the web server.
                > 2. User executes "Upload Current Doc".
                > 3. FTP.exe connects to server, and your clip displays available sub-
                > directories. 4. User selects from list of available sub-directories,
                > to specify target upload directory.
                > 5. User confirms and documents is uploaded to selected directory.
                >
                > Would that be possible?

                Yes, I could do that, but only sort of. There doesn't seem to be a way
                to ask for only directories. I can get a file list from the top level
                directory. That returns a mixture of file and directory names. Then I
                can filter it so that names with periods in them are removed. So, only
                the "file" names having no periods from the top level directory will be
                shown. I guess that might include some actual file names and exclude
                some actual directory names. Would it work for you? Also, I would use
                features of the current version of NoteTab (so version 5.4 or later will
                be required).

                > Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the clip
                > isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom Server"
                > details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload Current Doc" I
                > get this error info.:
                >
                > FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:
                > ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.
                >
                > ftp> open mydomain.com
                > Invalid command.
                >
                > ftp> myusername
                > Invalid command.
                >
                > ftp> password
                > Not connected.
                >
                > ftp> cd public_html
                > Not connected.
                >
                > ftp> ascii
                > Local directory now C:\Program Files\Web Building Tools\NoteTab
                > Pro\testdocument.htm.
                >
                > ftp> lcd
                > Not connected.
                >
                > ftp> put "FTP Custom Readme.txt"
                > quit
                >

                > Note that I am able to connect to that server, using that username
                > and password, if I launch FTP.exe directly in a command window so I
                > know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.
                >
                > Thanks.
                > (from Yahoo site - mail reply not working)

                I don't know. From the output it looks like its doing "open
                mydomain.com", which would be correct.

                Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the clip? I'm
                on cable so I'm always on. Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause
                interference. I initially had problems but found that Norton Antivirus
                was prompting behind the NoteTab window to see if it was ok to let a
                port listen for FTP responses. Now its set to allow that.

                I seem to have forgotten to decode the server text in the clip for
                editing server details. I will post a update later today.

              • tuttle.grey
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                  On Tue, September 18, 2007 12:38 pm, Sheri wrote:
                  > tuttle.grey wrote:
                  >> Would it be possible to add an enhancement? Currently the user must
                  >> pre-configure the destination directory "remote folder for uploads"
                  >> during "Create Custom Server". However, for web sites with multiple
                  >> sub-directories that is inconvenient as it would require creation
                  of
                  >> a separate template for each directory.
                  >>
                  >> Could you enable this:
                  >> 1. User configures "Create Custom Server" with top-level directory
                  in
                  >> the account of the web server.
                  >> 2. User executes "Upload Current Doc".
                  >> 3. FTP.exe connects to server, and your clip displays available
                  sub-
                  >> directories. 4. User selects from list of available sub-
                  directories,
                  >> to specify target upload directory.
                  >> 5. User confirms and documents is uploaded to selected directory.
                  >>
                  >> Would that be possible?
                  >>

                  > Yes, I could do that, but only sort of. There doesn't seem to be a
                  way
                  > to ask for only directories. I can get a file list from the top
                  level
                  > directory. That returns a mixture of file and directory names.

                  I think that would be okay. It's consistent with the view I see in an
                  FTP client, in which I see directories followed by filenames.

                  > Then I
                  > can filter it so that names with periods in them are removed. So,
                  only
                  > the "file" names having no periods from the top level directory
                  will be
                  > shown. I guess that might include some actual file names and exclude
                  > some actual directory names. Would it work for you?

                  The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
                  filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would save
                  you work writing the filter.

                  > Also, I would use features of the current version of NoteTab
                  > (so version 5.4 or later will be required).

                  That's fine, as I have 5.4.

                  >> Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the
                  clip
                  >> isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom Server"
                  >> details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload Current
                  Doc" I
                  >> get this error info.:
                  >>
                  >> FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:
                  >> ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.
                  >>
                  >> ftp> open mydomain.com
                  >> Invalid command.
                  >>
                  >> ftp> myusername
                  >> Invalid command.
                  >>
                  >> ftp> password
                  >> Not connected.
                  >>
                  >> ftp> cd public_html
                  >> Not connected.
                  >>
                  >> ftp> ascii
                  >> Local directory now C:\Program Files\Web Building Tools\NoteTab
                  >> Pro\testdocument.htm.
                  >>
                  >> ftp> lcd
                  >> Not connected.
                  >>
                  >> ftp> put "FTP Custom Readme.txt"
                  >> quit
                  >>

                  >> Note that I am able to connect to that server, using that username
                  >> and password, if I launch FTP.exe directly in a command window so I
                  >> know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks.
                  >> (from Yahoo site - mail reply not working)
                  >>
                  > I don't know. From the output it looks like its doing "open
                  > mydomain.com", which would be correct.
                  >
                  > Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the clip?

                  Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
                  connected.

                  > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.

                  I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
                  firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
                  virus doesn't block connections.

                  Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
                  can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same login,
                  so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.

                  > I will post a update later today.

                  That is great! Thanks so much Sheri!
                  (posted from Yahoo site - mail reply not working for some reason)
                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                    > The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
                    > filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would
                    > save you work writing the filter.

                    Filtering is necessary, but fortunately I figured out how to get
                    directories without tampering with periods.

                    > > Also, I would use features of the current version of NoteTab
                    > > (so version 5.4 or later will be required).
                    >
                    > That's fine, as I have 5.4.

                    Ok, it or later is now required.

                    >>> Also, I can't get it to work. I don't know if that's because the
                    >>> clip isn't working or if I'm not entering the "Create Custom
                    >>> Server" details correctly. When I try to connect using "Upload
                    >>> Current Doc" I get this error info.:

                    I activated a -d debug flag on the ftp command line, if its still not
                    working maybe that will help us.

                    >> Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the clip?
                    >
                    > Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
                    > connected.
                    >
                    > > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.
                    >
                    > I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
                    > firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
                    > virus doesn't block connections.
                    >
                    > Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
                    > can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same login,
                    > so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.

                    Are there multiple FTP.exe's on you system? You did say it worked with
                    the original FTP clip library right? You don't need "Accounts" in
                    addition to user name and password, do you (not presently implemented).

                    Sure hope we can get it working for you, its working super for me!

                  • tuttle.grey
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 19, 2007
                      On Tue, September 18, 2007 7:14 pm, Sheri wrote:

                      > I activated a -d debug flag on the ftp command line, if its still
                      not
                      > working maybe that will help us.
                      >
                      >>> Are you already connected to the Internet before starting the
                      clip?

                      >> Yes. I have DSL, and once my PC is booted up I am constantly
                      >> connected.
                      >>
                      >> > Also, firewall and virus checkers can cause interference.
                      >>
                      >> I don't have any software firewalls on my PC. (I use a router with
                      >> firewall, but it doesn't block such outgoing connections.) My anti-
                      >> virus doesn't block connections.
                      >>
                      >> Whatever causes it to fail is somehow related to using the clip. I
                      >> can launch FTP.exe directly in a command window with the same
                      login,
                      >> so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect to my server.
                      >
                      > Are there multiple FTP.exe's on you system? You did say it worked
                      with
                      > the original FTP clip library right? You don't need "Accounts" in
                      > addition to user name and password, do you (not presently
                      implemented).

                      > Sure hope we can get it working for you, its working super for me!

                      Thanks Sheri.

                      I installed your latest v1.1. I created a custom server and then
                      tried "Upload Current Doc". Here's what I got:

                      FTP SESSION OUTPUT FROM MYDOMAIN TEMPLATE:

                      FTP failure. Unable to Retrieve list of folders for tuttle
                      public_html.
                      ftp> Unknown host mydomain.com.

                      ftp> open mydomain.com
                      Invalid command.

                      ftp> alantext
                      Invalid command.

                      ftp> mypassword
                      Not connected.

                      ftp> cd public_html
                      ftp>
                      Not connected.

                      ftp> dir . "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\NoteTab
                      Pro\FTPCustomServeList.txt"
                      bye

                      I just don't get it. I can launch FTP.exe directly in a command
                      window with the same login, so I know that FTP.exe is able to connect
                      to my server. It even works with
                      the original FTP clip library. There is only one FTP.exe on my system.

                      What else should I try?
                    • Sheri
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 19, 2007
                        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                        > What else should I try?

                        Check your private mail.

                      • Wiz Feinberg
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 19, 2007

                          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > The filtering may not even be necessary. Let's first try without
                          > > filtering, to see if the interface is usable. If it is, it would
                          > > save you work writing the filter.
                          >
                          > Filtering is necessary, but fortunately I figured out how to get
                          > directories without tampering with periods.
                          > >

                          > Regards,
                          > Sheri

                          I would like to chirp in here, regarding the discussion of filtering
                          out files and folders beginning with a period. I can't imagine that I
                          am the only webmaster who uses NoteTab Pro for their HTML and web
                          support files editor, and the file that I update most frequently is
                          named: ".htaccess". I use WS_FTP as my FTP client, but am interested
                          in the NoteTab Pro direct FTP solutions being discussed in this
                          thread. I would not be able to use your clips if they indeed do filter
                          out hidden Apache files or folders (I update some folders I have
                          purposely hidden with a period prefix).

                          I also have numerous sub-directories under public_html (my web root),
                          and they have sub-directories, in many cases. Navigation to the
                          correct destination directory is imperative for webmasters like me.

                          Just my 2 cents. Keep up the fine work Sheri!

                          PS: I would be happy to test your FTP clips on my own server. Note
                          that I use SFTP to login, for security. I can also login with standard
                          FTP if SSH login is not possible in your solutions.

                          Wiz
                        • frank
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                            hi wiz et.al.

                            I just build a clip for each account such:

                            ==========

                            ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileName(^**)$
                            ^!Set %FullPath%="C:\Full\Local\Path\^%FileName%"
                            ^!Set %FTPPath%="C:\Program Files\WS_FTP\WS_FTP95.exe"
                            ^!Set %ServerPath%="/public_html/"
                            ^!Set %ProfileName%="wsftp_profile_name"
                            ^!^%FTPPath% local:^%FullPath% ^%ProfileName%:^%ServerPath%
                            ^!Goto End

                            notes:

                            1. the profile name cannot include any spaces.
                            2. use a trailing / for the %ServerPath% var.
                            3. this will FTP the open focused file in NTP.

                            regards,

                            tf
                            http://www.icosagame.com