Re: NoteTab 5.4 (including NoteTab Light) now released

  • cefwis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2007
      Eric...regarding your announcement of NoteTab 5.4 ... I'm afraid I've
      lost track of which version is which. I am currrently using NoteTab
      Standard 4.95/np (full version). Does NoteTab 5.4 supersede what I
      have, or should I stick with Standard 4.95? -Charlie (cefwis@...)

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > We're pleased to announce the release of NoteTab 5.4, which includes
      > NoteTab Light!
      >
      > You will find the upgrade information through NoteTab's "Check for
      > Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu. If you don't
      > see the version 5.4 info in the News and Updates window, make sure you
      > click on the "Get headlines" button at the top-left of the dialog
      box to
      > refresh the list.
      >
      > Improvements since previous update:
      > -----------------------------------
      >
      > * NoteTab Light now available as a version 5 release.
      >
      > * Updated the regular expressions engine to the latest release,
      which is
      > based on PCRE 7.3. See the following document for a list of
      improvements:
      > http://www.pcre.org/changelog.txt
      >
      > * Added several new Clip syntax elements:
      >
      > ^!IfEmpty "Value" GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse]
      > If Value represents an empty variable or string, then jumps to
      specified
      > label name. It is recommended to enclose Value between double quotes.
      >
      > ^$GetParaCol$
      > Returns cursor column position within paragraph in current document.
      >
      > ^$GetParaRow$
      > Returns paragraph row index of cursor in current document.
      >
      > ^$GetUserRegRoot$
      > If you are running an non-NT version of Windows (Win95/98/ME), this
      > function returns a value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, otherwise it returns
      > HKEY_CURRENT_USER. This function can be useful to ensure compatibility
      > with certain registry operations under different versions of Windows.
      > See usage examples under the "NoteTab Shortcuts" section of the
      > Utilities library.
      >
      > ^$GetWinPlatform$
      > Returns the Windows platform type under which NoteTab is running.
      > Possible values are one of the following: Win32_Win, Win32_NT, Unknown.
      > If you're running Win95/98/ME the returned value is Win32_Win, and
      > Win2000/2003/XP/Vista/Longhorn produces Win32_NT. This function is
      > useful to ensure compatibility with operations that need to run
      > differently on each Windows platform.
      >
      > * Several minor improvements and bug fixes.
      >
      > * Updated documentation.
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Eric Fookes
      > http://www.fookes.com/

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2007
        Version 5.x is newer than 4.95. While 4.95 still works, 5.x has many
        improvements and new features.

        Larry Hamilton

        cefwis wrote:
        > Eric...regarding your announcement of NoteTab 5.4 ... I'm afraid I've
        > lost track of which version is which. I am currrently using NoteTab
        > Standard 4.95/np (full version). Does NoteTab 5.4 supersede what I
        > have, or should I stick with Standard 4.95? -Charlie (cefwis@...)
      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11, 2007
          Eric,

          Sorry to be late for the new edition, but I just ran across this again
          after upgrading ...

          A. DESTRUCTIVE ERROR HANDLING !

          The following clip demonstrates, that NoteTab's error handler
          does NOT generate an error from a truncated function, but instead
          treats following commands as plain text as a result of the error.

          1. Note:

          a. the logic flow seems to follow instructions
          b. the commands in the logic flow are executed WRONG
          c. no error is generated.

          2. This clip WRITES to the current doc, so use a blank!

          a. run the clip as is
          b. comment out the last line and run it again
          c. uncomment last line, comment out next to last, run again

          ----------->8-------------
          H="DestructiveErrorHandler"
          ;Demonstrate potentially DESTRUCTIVE ERROR HANDLING
          ;when a built-in function is incomplete
          ^!Goto ERROR
          ;deliberate syntax error, out of logic flow:
          ^!If ^$StrSize
          ^!Goto END
          ;
          :ERROR
          ^!Info [L]Plain text message with a Dollar sign "$", ends in a
          newline^%nl%
          ^!Info [L]Plain text message ending in a newline^%nl%
          ----------->8-------------

          B. Previously reported bugs in Toolbar ICON handling

          This problem dates back to at least version 4.95:

          It seems to be fixed in Windows 2000, but NOT in Windows XP

          Platform XP Pro, Tablet edition.
          P 3, 1.3 GHz, 512 MB RAM
          SOftware loaded -- Notetab, Win Explorer

          Toolbar configuration (simplified):
          [Toolbar]
          Configuration of buttons and toolbar appearance (from INI file) --
          long line:
          ClickSound=0 | RaisedButtons=1 | ShowCaptions=0 | ShowToolTips=1 |
          UseSeparators=1 | WrapButtons=1 | ButtonWidth=0 | CaptionFont=MS |
          Sans | Serif;8;;-16777208;1 | SoundFile=
          ---- END long line

          Tools on my toolbar ('|' delimits tools; '||' signifies a space in
          toolbar) -- long line:
          New Document | Open Document | Save Document || Cut | Copy | Paste |
          Paste New || Toggle Word Wrap | Font | Increase Font Size | Decrease
          Font Size || Paste Board | Spell Check | Thesaurus | Text Statistics |
          View in Browser | Strip HTML || Options || Exit |
          ---- END long line

          0. Start with the above configuration
          1. Open options, set buttons to "Show captions", close options
          displays toolbar as 2 lines, wide icons, captions on

          2. Open options, remove the "Save Document" tool, close options
          displays toolbar as 1 line of wide icons, some off-screen
          captions hidden under clipbar of doc tabs
          ICON assignments according to SMALL icons, rather
          than the wide icons still displayed. I.e.
          Tool-tip over "New Doc" icon
          "New doc" on left, "Open Doc" on right
          Tool-tip over "Open Doc" icon
          "Cut" on left, "Copy" in middle, "Paste" on right

          3. Open options, restore the "SaveDocument" tool, close options
          displays toolbar with Save icon, otherwise as in 2.
          I.e. I hover mouse over SAVE icon: tooltip
          displays "Copy", or "Paste", or "Paste New",
          depending on WHERE over the icon mouse points.

          4. Open options, UNcheck "Show Captions", close options
          Displays correctly

          The only thing that seems to correct this behavior is to turn off
          "Show Captions".

          C. NoteTab closes incorrectly

          Quite often (but not always), when I have the ClipCode help open,
          after using both help and editing documents and libraries, NoteTab
          does not exit fully, when closed.

          Problem affects Windows XP Pro, but NOT WIndows 2000.
          Is there a patterne here?

          I have been unable to trace this to any particular action, except
          Help. The longer I have NoteTab loaded, and the more I use help, the
          more likely this problem occurs.

          When I exit NoteTab, it closes the editor, closes the help file, but
          leaves an orphan process in the task manager, 9 out of ten times. The
          rest of the time it works as expected.

          More important (to me) it never sends an exit code to the batchfile I
          use to load NoteTab. This batchfile waits for NoteTab to close, and
          then backs up the modified files. When it doesn't get an exit signal,
          it doesn't back up.

          Cheers,

          Eb

          PS:
          Wishlist for a more powerfule NoteTab:

          A Built-in function to get and set every toggled configuration in
          NoteTab. A single function, that could do this by passing the feature
          to be tested or set would be enough. Or at least for all features that
          are toggle by menu.

          Built-in function, that returns the name of the library in the
          clipbook, even when run in a far clip in another library. For example
          a clip running from the clipBAR.
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2007
            Hi Eb,

            Thanks for feedback. I've been aware of the toolbar issue for a while.
            Unfortunately, the problem is not in NoteTab's code but in the Delphi
            VCL. Currently, the only solution would be to change toolbar, which
            would break compatibility with all previous versions of NoteTab. The
            other solution is to upgrade my compiler and hope that the problem is
            fixed in the new version. We'll see in a future update...

            I've fixed the Clip parser error, which will benefit the next NoteTab
            update. I haven't been able to reproduce the closing error on my XP
            system. Don't know what that could be.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/