UNICODE is driving me batty

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
      Situation:
      I'm using ClipCachePlus:

      * if I use it to save a text clip (ie. Clipboard contents) as a
      filename.txt
      * it seems to save the file as Format: Unicode.
      * If there is a way to make it save as Format: Dos/Windows I haven't
      found it :-(

      Goal: A clip that will convert a Unicode file to a Dos/Windows file

      Much much later ... maybe someone else can use this :-)

      === beginning of clip - all lines start with ; or ^! ====
      H="Change Read only--UNICODE file to Ready-Dos/Windows file"
      ; Alec Burgess 2007-09-06
      ; Ready / Read only shown left-side of Status bar
      ; == when focus in edit pane, document is unmodified and no text selected
      ; Read only [nnnn bytes,nn lines,Last Saved YYYY/MM/DD HH:mm:ss,Format:
      Unicode]
      ; == or
      ; Ready [nnnn bytes,nn lines,Last Saved YYYY/MM/DD HH:mm:ss,Format:
      DOS/Windows]"

      ;^!menu document/read-only (not required)
      ;^!setdebug ON

      ^!select ALL
      ^!set %allText%=^$getselection$
      ^!set %theDocName%=^$GetDocName$
      ; comment/uncomment this or next line as required
      ; change: Read only--UNICODE file --to-- Ready--Dos/Windows file
      ; change: Read only--UNICODE file --to-- Ready--Dos/Windows file

      ^!TextToFile "^%theDocName%" ^%allText%
      ;^!TextToUnicodeFile "^%theDocName%" ^%allText%
      ^!Menu Edit/Reload
      === end of clip - all lines start with ; or ^! ====

      comments - critiques potential problems welcome
      No guarantees *AT ALL* if the file really *NEEDED* to be Unicode :-!

      * specifically:
      o is there some way to do this "manually" w/o using a clip
      that I've missed?
      o is there a way for the clip to detect problems *before*
      committing?
      + ^!TextToFile or
      + ^!TextToUnicodeFile

      * left as an exercise for reader -
      o change ALL open files to Dos/Windows
      + I only need to convert 6 files today (and I've wasted
      too much time already)

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
        Hi Alex,

        Instead of opening the file in NoteTab, could you use a NoteTab clip
        to insert the contents of the file into the current document as normal
        text?

        ^$GetUnicodeFileText("FileName")$

        Or (in your clip) you could first start a new document for receiving
        the text, and afterwards save the (converted) file.

      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
          "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> said on Sep 06, 2007 8:16 -0400
          (in part):
          > Instead of opening the file in NoteTab, could you use a NoteTab clip
          > to insert the contents of the file into the current document as normal
          > text?
          >
          > ^$GetUnicodeFileText("FileName")$
          >
          > Or (in your clip) you could first start a new document for receiving
          > the text, and afterwards save the (converted) file.
          Good point ... however ... I had already uploaded all six files to a
          WIKI when I discovered that copying text to clipboard and then saving
          from ClipCachePlus writes Unicode files! yucch.

          With this clip I was able to send all files to Notetab, click on each
          file, double-click the clip and move to the next one. Actual conversion
          only took a minute or two after two hours (conservatively) to write the
          clip. -- It takes longer when I have to look up almost every command in
          the Clip Help file :-(

          If I'd realized the problem beforehand (when I was generating the files)
          I would have copied to a new buffer in Notetab and saved from there
          instead of "saving" time by doing it from within ClipCachePlus, avoiding
          ever generating the Unicode versions.

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail