Re: [Clip] Re: INI file size limits

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4 7:18 PM
      I finally got to this clip and it's ini file. I had not used it since an
      earlier version of NoteTab Pro 5.x. I'm not sure which. I tried it today
      with version 5.4 and it worked.

      I first opened NoteTab using a command line to call the ini, and it only
      opened 200 files. I opened the other six files, and when exited NoteTab
      and re-started, it remembered all 206 files.

      I have the same clip library, with another set of files that may be more
      than 206. I will post the results only if they are not in line with this
      recent success.

      Thanks Eric! Yeah, NoteTab! ;-)

      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      lm_hamilton wrote:
      > Martyn,
      >
      > The only issue I have run into is when saving the paths of files to an
      > ini. When there are over 200 or so, it does not remember all the
      > files. The ini itself is less than 65 KB.
      >
      > This is on Windows 2000, SP4.
      >
      > Other than that, there should be no issues with size/amount of data.
      >
      > I have not had time to run the clip that uses this ini on the last few
      > point releases of version 5.
      >
      > I have to use that clip again soon, hopefully this week. I'll post
      > results then.
      >
      > Larry Hamilton
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6 8:43 AM
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Martyn Folkes" <mfolkes@...> wrote:
        > I have a question, or rather a request for confirmation regarding .ini
        > file size limits...
        >
        > I have successfully written a value to an ini file using ^!SaveValue
        > that is 455215 characters long and successfully read the complete
        > string back using ^$GetValue. There is no significance to the length
        > of the string -- it was just some text I had lying around available.
        > The ini file itself is 445Kb.

        Marty,

        Very interesting! And Notetab didn't crash?

        Some time ago (years) I checked into INI file limits, and the only
        thing I found spelled out was the size of a single variable. At the
        time around 1KB. I've lived by that rule more or less, for years.

        I use INI files routinely to store permanent data (across NoteTab
        launches) and on occasion exceeded the 1KB limit without ill effects.

        However, I have noticed several bad effect of using INI files to store
        a LOT of data (many different INI file variables):

        1. NoteTab becomes a resource hog (it seems to load the entire INI
        file into memory (not sure if this is true or not, but it would double
        in size, if you load this data into variables -- since you cannot
        access INI variables directly like arrays, this is frequently necessary).

        2. NoteTab crashes more frequently, when I use INI files with LARGE
        data sets -- I load this data into arrays, so THAT may be the reason
        for the crashes.

        3. When using large INI files with a USB drive, data I/O REALLY SLOWS
        DOWN! Especially on older PCs, where the USB ports are either 1.1, or
        fake 2.0 (don't get anywhere near 2.0 speed).

        When all is said and done, INI files are a lot like random access data
        files, making them EXTREMELY useful.

        But, how does Notetab interact with them? For example, if you use
        "^$GetValue(section:varname)$" multiple times in clip code, is it
        loaded each time, or is it loaded only once?

        Just a thought.

        Cheers,

        Eb