INI file size limits

  • Martyn Folkes
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hello all,

      I haven't posted for years because of other projects, but I am back to
      using NTP5 and glad to find most of the old faces still on the list.

      I have a question, or rather a request for confirmation regarding .ini
      file size limits...

      I have successfully written a value to an ini file using ^!SaveValue
      that is 455215 characters long and successfully read the complete
      string back using ^$GetValue. There is no significance to the length
      of the string -- it was just some text I had lying around available.
      The ini file itself is 445Kb.

      I know there are very restrictive limits in Win98, but I am using
      Windows XP and wondered if anyone else could confirm that there seems
      to be no limits on .ini file size and individual key-value size under
      WinXP or Vista.

      The write and read seemed very fast so this could be a faster and more
      convenient method than using a delimited file to store large amounts
      of data.

      What are your thoughts?

      All the best,
      Martyn
    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
        Martyn,

        The only issue I have run into is when saving the paths of files to an
        ini. When there are over 200 or so, it does not remember all the
        files. The ini itself is less than 65 KB.

        This is on Windows 2000, SP4.

        Other than that, there should be no issues with size/amount of data.

        I have not had time to run the clip that uses this ini on the last few
        point releases of version 5.

        I have to use that clip again soon, hopefully this week. I'll post
        results then.

        Larry Hamilton

        Folkes" <mfolkes@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I haven't posted for years because of other projects, but I am back to
        > using NTP5 and glad to find most of the old faces still on the list.
        >
        > I have a question, or rather a request for confirmation regarding .ini
        > file size limits...
        >
        > I have successfully written a value to an ini file using ^!SaveValue
        > that is 455215 characters long and successfully read the complete
        > string back using ^$GetValue. There is no significance to the length
        > of the string -- it was just some text I had lying around available.
        > The ini file itself is 445Kb.
        >
        > I know there are very restrictive limits in Win98, but I am using
        > Windows XP and wondered if anyone else could confirm that there seems
        > to be no limits on .ini file size and individual key-value size under
        > WinXP or Vista.
        >
        > The write and read seemed very fast so this could be a faster and more
        > convenient method than using a delimited file to store large amounts
        > of data.
        >
        > What are your thoughts?
        >
        > All the best,
        > Martyn

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
          I finally got to this clip and it's ini file. I had not used it since an
          earlier version of NoteTab Pro 5.x. I'm not sure which. I tried it today
          with version 5.4 and it worked.

          I first opened NoteTab using a command line to call the ini, and it only
          opened 200 files. I opened the other six files, and when exited NoteTab
          and re-started, it remembered all 206 files.

          I have the same clip library, with another set of files that may be more
          than 206. I will post the results only if they are not in line with this
          recent success.

          Thanks Eric! Yeah, NoteTab! ;-)

          Larry Hamilton
          Kairos Computer Solutions
          http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

          lm_hamilton wrote:
          > Martyn,
          >
          > The only issue I have run into is when saving the paths of files to an
          > ini. When there are over 200 or so, it does not remember all the
          > files. The ini itself is less than 65 KB.
          >
          > This is on Windows 2000, SP4.
          >
          > Other than that, there should be no issues with size/amount of data.
          >
          > I have not had time to run the clip that uses this ini on the last few
          > point releases of version 5.
          >
          > I have to use that clip again soon, hopefully this week. I'll post
          > results then.
          >
          > Larry Hamilton
        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Martyn Folkes" <mfolkes@...> wrote:
            > I have a question, or rather a request for confirmation regarding .ini
            > file size limits...
            >
            > I have successfully written a value to an ini file using ^!SaveValue
            > that is 455215 characters long and successfully read the complete
            > string back using ^$GetValue. There is no significance to the length
            > of the string -- it was just some text I had lying around available.
            > The ini file itself is 445Kb.

            Marty,

            Very interesting! And Notetab didn't crash?

            Some time ago (years) I checked into INI file limits, and the only
            thing I found spelled out was the size of a single variable. At the
            time around 1KB. I've lived by that rule more or less, for years.

            I use INI files routinely to store permanent data (across NoteTab
            launches) and on occasion exceeded the 1KB limit without ill effects.

            However, I have noticed several bad effect of using INI files to store
            a LOT of data (many different INI file variables):

            1. NoteTab becomes a resource hog (it seems to load the entire INI
            file into memory (not sure if this is true or not, but it would double
            in size, if you load this data into variables -- since you cannot
            access INI variables directly like arrays, this is frequently necessary).

            2. NoteTab crashes more frequently, when I use INI files with LARGE
            data sets -- I load this data into arrays, so THAT may be the reason
            for the crashes.

            3. When using large INI files with a USB drive, data I/O REALLY SLOWS
            DOWN! Especially on older PCs, where the USB ports are either 1.1, or
            fake 2.0 (don't get anywhere near 2.0 speed).

            When all is said and done, INI files are a lot like random access data
            files, making them EXTREMELY useful.

            But, how does Notetab interact with them? For example, if you use
            "^$GetValue(section:varname)$" multiple times in clip code, is it
            loaded each time, or is it loaded only once?

            Just a thought.

            Cheers,

            Eb