Re: [Clip] images to html page - available clips

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2007
      "Pat(kitPatH)" wrote:
      > I'm thinking of setting up images in a table instead of one per paragraph.
      > Basically just looking for other people's ideas?

      Don't! Absolutely do not! If the table cells fit the images, the table
      has a fixed size and will only fit one single size of window. If you
      size the table relative to the window the images will only fit the cells
      well at one single size of window. This is totally against the grain and
      spirit of HTML where you supply the content and the reader determines
      his preferred look and layout.
      My idea how thumbnail pages ought to be done is this:

      http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Urlaub/Pic/Is-05/D18/index.html

      It is a bit of a hack. The CSS standard has defined the attribute
      "inline-table" for just this purpose but no single browser supports it
      so you have to fudge it.
      Don't forget to resize the window from very small to very wide and in
      between. Firefox lets you do it while reformatting on the fly while you
      drag - highly recommended for testing out fluid layouts.

      Axel
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2007

        > "Pat(kitPatH)" wrote:
        > > I'm thinking of setting up images in a table instead of one per
        paragraph.
        > > Basically just looking for other people's ideas?
        >
        > Don't! Absolutely do not! If the table cells fit the images, the
        table
        > has a fixed size and will only fit one single size of window. If you
        > size the table relative to the window the images will only fit the
        cells
        > well at one single size of window. This is totally against the
        grain and
        > spirit of HTML where you supply the content and the reader
        determines
        > his preferred look and layout.
        > My idea how thumbnail pages ought to be done is this:
        >
        > http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Urlaub/Pic/Is-05/D18/index.html
        >
        > It is a bit of a hack. The CSS standard has defined the attribute
        > "inline-table" for just this purpose but no single browser supports
        it
        > so you have to fudge it.
        > Don't forget to resize the window from very small to very wide and
        in
        > between. Firefox lets you do it while reformatting on the fly while
        you
        > drag - highly recommended for testing out fluid layouts.
        >
        > Axel

        Axel, this is what I had in mind! To me, it's a table. one image per
        row. the jpgs i am working with are all one size or same range
        (mostly 75x100). I just want a quicker way to label each jpg with the
        file name. and i thought a clip would do that for me...

        front page has a feature but it assumes the original photos are
        huges. it uses a data approach.

        http://home.earthlink.net/~kitpath/MC/CoverArt/MCCB(black)1.htm

        or

        resizable -- which i don't like but some people are using resolutions
        i hear about

        http://home.earthlink.net/~kitpath/MC/CoverArt/NamedMags.htm

        pat
      • Pat
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2007
          by "this is what i had in mind" i was referring to your layout.

          pat
        • notetab_is_great
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007

            > My idea how thumbnail pages ought to be done is this:
            >
            > http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Urlaub/Pic/Is-05/D18/index.html
            >
            > It is a bit of a hack. The CSS standard has defined the attribute
            > "inline-table" for just this purpose but no single browser supports it
            > so you have to fudge it.
            > Don't forget to resize the window from very small to very wide and in
            > between. Firefox lets you do it while reformatting on the fly while you
            > drag - highly recommended for testing out fluid layouts.

            I looked at your page, and I like it. It is not quite clear how or
            why it should work, but it does. Can you explain the hacks a bit?

            And how to adjust the horizontal and vertical spacing between
            thumbnails, if it is possible?

            I notice the reference to IrfanView -- I also use IrfanView -- but did
            you write your own templates for IrfanView to use? Are you willing to
            share them?