Regex tool

  • kenfhill84083
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2007
      I am learning regex in NoteTab and I ran across a free regex
      expression designer called Rad Software Regular Expression Designer
      (RSRED) (http://www.radsoftware.com.au/regexdesigner/). As a regex
      newbie, I find it useful when designing an expression longer than a
      few characters. By using sample data in the RSRED "Input Text" pane,
      you can see if the expression works as you build it incrementally. It
      has a "Replace Expression" input and a "Replace Results" pane. F5
      runs the expression. You can see contents of groups in each hit.
      When you get your expression working, you copy and paste the search
      and replace expressions into the NoteTab Replace dialog or into a clip.

      If the problem you are working on is not repeated, so you don't need a
      clip, you may not need to copy the expressions into NoteTab. A few
      times I've pasted copies of real data into the "input text" pane,
      created the search and replace expressions, and copied the results
      from the RSRED "Replace Results" pane into whatever application I
      needed it in.

      I've found it to be a useful regex tool. It may not be as powerful as
      Regex Buddy or Expresso, but it is free and does a pretty good job. I
      have only experienced a few cases where the regex didn't match
      NoteTab's regex dialect -- but my regex is fairly simple, so maybe
      more advanced stuff might break down some in NoteTab. It has saved me
      a lot of time and has given me confidence to try increasingly complex
      regex.

      Ken