Re: [Clip] sorting lists with a clip

  • WV-Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
      At 05:02 AM 8/7/2007 , you wrote:

      >Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      ><<mailto:notetab%40EpicRoadTrips.us>notetab@...> said on Aug
      >05, 2007 16:58 -0400 (in part):
      > > Not sure if this is clipable or not.
      >ANYTHING is clipable - you mean will someone do it for me :-D

      Yep - you got it!
      I have to leave the heavy thinking up to you all.

      I appreciate everyone's help with this.

      I think I am going to try WinMerge as Alec suggested and see if that does
      the trick.

      Thanks again,
      -mike

      ----------
      Check it out:
      www.EpicRoadTrips.us

      ~~~

      ~~~

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
        WV-Mike wrote:
        > At 05:02 AM 8/7/2007 , you wrote:
        >
        >> Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        >> <<mailto:notetab%40EpicRoadTrips.us>notetab@...> said on Aug
        >> 05, 2007 16:58 -0400 (in part):
        >>> Not sure if this is clipable or not.
        >> ANYTHING is clipable - you mean will someone do it for me :-D
        >
        > Yep - you got it!
        > I have to leave the heavy thinking up to you all.
        >
        > I appreciate everyone's help with this.
        >
        > I think I am going to try WinMerge as Alec suggested and see if that does
        > the trick.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > -mike

        Mike, you took it like a sport. I might have been offended even with
        the happy face in there. I think it was a fun poke in reality, but
        email is so hard to decipher in nuance sometimes.

        When one first starts clipping, it is difficult to figure out what
        direction to take sometimes. For those of us -- and I bet there are few
        of us who have not benefited from the work and contributions of another
        -- who have experience sometimes the daunting appears easy and yet I
        still ask for input regularly. I cannot tell you how many times my long
        complicated clip has been boiled down to three lines with collective
        reason. REGEX still confuses me and yet I now use it thanks to list
        members "do[ing] it for me" and then explaining (more than once) what
        they just did. So

        *for anyone lurking out there,*

        don't be afraid to ask for someone to do it for you or make
        suggestions and explain later what they did. Take the time to then
        understand even a little how they did it if you can and begin the fun
        process of learning clips.

        So my question of the day that relates, as it is string sorting ...

        From help:
        "^$StrSort("Str";CaseSensitive;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$ (added in v4.52)
        Returns the specified text "Str" sorted according to the defined
        criteria. NoteTab 5 supports two new values for the CaseSensitive
        parameter: ANSI to enforce a case sensitive dictionary-type sorting
        order and False_ANSI to ignore character case during sorting. The ANSI
        option produces a sorting order that matches the result from the
        Modify/Lines/Sort menu command. Note, however, that sorting is much
        slower with the ANSI option.
        For example, the following instruction will sort the lines contained in
        the Clipboard, in ascending order, ignoring character case, and removing
        duplicates:
        ^$StrSort("^$GetClipboard$";False;True;True)$"

        Jody (what a great notetab man) would often use variables in those
        true/false slots. He might ask yes/no, so it appears in addition to
        true/false you can also use yes/no. Others use 1/0 for those switches.
        I was not aware of yes/no (or had forgotten) until looking at
        noteblock library yesterday.

        I find nothing in help that describes the possible true/false
        indicators. Are there others? Are there compatibility issues with any
        of the three I mentioned here? Do they all actually work in current
        notetab?

        There is my question for the day ... and yes I want someone else to
        answer it ... :-D

        Thank you all,

        Don
      • Flo
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
          Alec,

          Thanks for that hints! If we are dealing with two lists of e-mail
          addresses only I would propose the following clip that combines some
          elements of our two clips. It works with any kind of data in a list
          format as well (like word lists for example). I've tested it with
          15,000 entries. The job is done within a second and without any
          fault -- so far ;-)

          When tested with...

          list1.txt

          anthony@...
          bertha@...
          carla@...

          list2.txt

          bertha@...
          carla@...
          donald@...

          ...the output will be:

          Contained in list1.txt but not in list2.txt
          anthony@...

          Contained in list2.txt but not in list1.txt
          donald@...

          Regards
          Flo

          (Watch line breaks!)

          H=Comparing two lists
          ^!Set %File1%=^?{(T=O;F="Textfiles (*.txt)|*.txt")Choose first
          file:==^%File1%}; %File2%=^?{(T=O;F="Textfiles (*.txt)|*.txt")Choose
          second file:==^%File2%}
          ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
          ^!Toolbar New Document
          ^!InsertText ^$GetFileText("^%File1%")$
          ; Mark all addresses from File1 with a trailing #1
          ^!Replace "(.)$" >> "$1#1" AWRS
          ^!Jump Doc_End
          ^!InsertText ^P^$GetFileText("^%File2%")$
          ; Remove empty lines at any position
          ^!Replace "\r\n(?=\r\n)|\A\r\n|\r\n\z" >> "" AWRS
          ^!Select All
          ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
          ; Reduce two or more duplicates to one
          ^!Replace "(^[^\r\n]+\r\n)(\1)+" >> "$1" AWRS
          ; Remove addresses existing in both files
          ^!Replace "^([^\r\n]+)\r\n\1#1(\r\n|\z)" >> "" AWRS
          ; Select addresses that exist in File1 only
          ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
          ^!Set %List1%=^$GetDocMatchAll("^[^\r\n]+#1$")$
          ; Remove adresses that exist in File1 only
          ^!Replace "^([^\r\n]+)#1(\r\n|\z)" >> "" AWRS
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!InsertText Contained in ^$GetFileName(^%File2%)$ but not in
          ^$GetFileName(^%File1%)$^P
          ^!Toolbar New Document
          ^!InsertText Contained in ^$GetFileName(^%File1%)$ but not in
          ^$GetFileName(^%File2%)$^P
          ^!InsertText ^%List1%
          ^!Replace "#1$" >> "" AWRS
        • Flo
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 10, 2007
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
            wrote:
            > So my question of the day that relates, as it is string sorting ...

            Don,

            I couldn't find it in the help file. But testing shows
            that "yes/1/true" and "no/0/false" have the same effect in NT5.

            By the way: I think one has to thoroughly watch the effect of the
            different Case Parameters.

            For example, with...

            ^!Select All
            ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$

            ...we get:

            cat
            dog
            doggy
            dog_1
            mouse

            With ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";1;1;0)$ the result is...

            cat
            dog
            dog_1
            doggy
            mouse

            Obviously, this difference has nothing to do with the case.

            Unless I'm very much mistaken, "case sensitive yes" also produces a
            (hidden) lexical sorting. That's why "dog" is followed by "dog_1" in
            the second result I suppose. So it's not only the ANSI Parameter,
            that - according with the help file - "enforce(s) a case sensitive
            dictionary-type sorting order".

            There are also differences between ^$StrSort$ and Modify| Lines |
            Sort (or Toolbar Sort Ascending). The Menu Command is controlled by
            the setting in Options | Tools I suppose. When choosing "Case
            Sensitive Sorting" (yes) in the Options, for example, the
            Menu/Toolbar Command produces...

            anthony
            Anthony
            bertha
            Bertha

            With ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";1;1;0)$ we get...

            Anthony
            Bertha
            anthony
            bertha

            To sum it up, I would strongly recommend to test any sorting very
            carefully before using it in a clip.

            Regards,
            Flo
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 10, 2007
              Flo wrote:
              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
              > wrote:
              >> So my question of the day that relates, as it is string sorting ...
              >
              > Don,
              >
              > I couldn't find it in the help file. But testing shows
              > that "yes/1/true" and "no/0/false" have the same effect in NT5.
              >
              > By the way: I think one has to thoroughly watch the effect of the
              > different Case Parameters.

              Flo,

              You and Sherri take the intelligence cake around here! Your answers are
              always very helpful. I noticed you used 0/1 in your example clip on
              sorting yesterday. I find the sorting things you did (and the "off"
              results of the various combinations) to be most interesting. This
              should really be documented. I am hopeful that perhaps Eric will see
              your post and give that issue some thought as it doesn't seem to me that
              we should be getting different results under each of those
              circumstances. Some of them obviously are giving different directions,
              but it appears if you give the same instruction to the menu vs strsort,
              you get differing results. Most interesting and I thank you immensely
              for your time.

              Don