Re: Very simple database problem

  • duke_nukem_time
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
      Ok. I did that.

      ;Open the file
      ^!OpenReadOnly "^%File%"

      When in debug, the ^!Set %File%=.... in the menu displays =C:\default.txt

      However, the next two popups displays
      ^!OpenReadOnly "C:\default.txt"

      However after that, I get an error that says, File "C:\"C\default.txt"
      cannot be found. Without adding the quotes, it still gives me the
      error but it reads: File C:\default.txt cannot be found. I am running
      Windows Vista and the free version of notetab. Could this be a
      permissions problem? I run the prgm as administrator settings.
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
        On Monday 04 June 2007 16:23, duke_nukem_time wrote:
        > Ok. The problem is in here. I keep getting an error that notetab can't
        > find the file in quotes. I dunno why.
        >
        > ;Menu
        > ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}; %SaveFileAs%=^?{Web
        > page file name (no path or extension)=index};

        above line needs to end with } (delete the semi colon)

        > ;End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
        > ^!IfCancel Exit
        >
        > ;Open the file
        > ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%;

        ^!Set %File%=C:\default.txt
        ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%

        Just for troubleshooting, those 2 lines as a clip should work. If not, then
        it is not a syntax related with the clip code problem.

        Does Vista allow reading of file on the root of the C drive?

        You might then also try using the data area (my documents, etc.). Quotes will
        then be needed on clip syntax due to space in the file path.

        --
        Alan.
      • duke_nukem_time
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
          Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I put the file
          in the Admin Documents folder and it will load the txt file. However,
          it still would give me an error about the path with the quotes on (eg
          "^%File%"), so I left them off. I'm considering upgrading to Standard
          Edition sometime soon to avoid future incompatibilities such as this
          with Vista and the Lite version. Thank you and Sheri for responding to
          my post.
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
            duke_nukem_time wrote:
            > Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I
            > put the file in the Admin Documents folder and it will
            > load the txt file. However, it still would give me an
            > error about the path with the quotes on (eg "^%File%"),
            > so I left them off. I'm considering upgrading to Standard
            > Edition sometime soon to avoid future incompatibilities
            > such as this with Vista and the Lite version.

            duke,

            Most of us would, probably, recommend NoteTab Pro over Standard. The
            advanced multiple 'UNDO' feature alone is worth the price difference.

            This is a link to Fookes delineating the features of NoteTab Pro,
            NoteTab Standard and NoteTab Light.

            http://www.notetab.com/chart.php

            As to the database problem at hand this work fine on my computer, XP
            Pro, with no errors.
            ----------------------
            H="Open Read Only"
            ; Menu
            ; change folder in next line to your preference.
            ;
            ; you may, or may not, want to add a folder to 'save to'.
            ; long line below, check for wrapping.
            ;
            ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to
            use=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$}; %SFA%=^?{Webpage file name (no path or
            extension)=^$GetShellFolder(Desktop)$index}
            ;
            ; End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
            ^!IfCancel Exit
            ; Open the file
            ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%
            ;^!Save AS ^%sfa%
            ------------------
            The difference may well be the difference between 'Lite' and 'Pro'.

            ºvº SL-6-35 -created- 2007.06.05 - 06.47.02

            In Only 30 Years...
            • 1977: Disco
            • 2007: Costco
            ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "duke_nukem_time"
              <duke_nukem_time@...> wrote:

              > Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I put the
              > file in the Admin Documents folder and it will load the txt file.
              > However, it still would give me an error about the path with the
              > quotes on (eg "^%File%"), so I left them off. I'm considering
              > upgrading to Standard Edition sometime soon to avoid future
              > incompatibilities such as this with Vista and the Lite version.
              > Thank you and Sheri for responding to my post.

              Hi,

              I agree with Harvey on the benefits of the Pro vs the Standard
              version. But on the compatibility issue between Vista and Light --

              While I don't know much about Vista security, I do know that with the
              Light version you need to have write privileges not only in the
              document's folder, but also in the installation folder where NoteTab
              keeps its ini file. I would try that clip again after moving the
              entire installation folder out of Program Files and into your "My
              Documents" area.

              In Standard and Pro versions 5+, the install procedure defaults to a
              new "multi-user" configuration where user files are not stored in the
              Program Files installation folder.