Re: Very simple database problem

  • duke_nukem_time
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2007
      It did work, but I keep getting this error when I try to open a file:

      http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/97/errorry4.jpg

      The original code is here:
      http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/7959/error1lf0.jpg
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2007
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "duke_nukem_time"
        <duke_nukem_time@...> wrote:

        > It did work, but I keep getting this error when I try to open a file:
        >
        > http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/97/errorry4.jpg
        >
        > The original code is here:
        > http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/7959/error1lf0.jpg

        I don't see where you ever saved a file by the name you're trying to
        open as read only. I would suggest to put

        ^!Setdebug on

        at the top of you clip and run it so you can see what is happening and
        where it is going wrong.

      • duke_nukem_time
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
          Ok. The problem is in here. I keep getting an error that notetab can't
          find the file in quotes. I dunno why.

          ;Menu
          ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}; %SaveFileAs%=^?{Web
          page file name (no path or extension)=index};
          ;End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
          ^!IfCancel Exit

          ;Open the file
          ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%;
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
            <duke_nukem_time@...> wrote:

            > Ok. The problem is in here. I keep getting an error that notetab can't
            > find the file in quotes. I dunno why.
            >
            > ;Menu
            > ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}; %SaveFileAs%=^?{Web
            > page file name (no path or extension)=index};
            > ;End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
            > ^!IfCancel Exit
            >
            > ;Open the file
            > ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%;

            Put double quotes around ^%File% and remove the trailing semicolon.

          • duke_nukem_time
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
              Ok. I did that.

              ;Open the file
              ^!OpenReadOnly "^%File%"

              When in debug, the ^!Set %File%=.... in the menu displays =C:\default.txt

              However, the next two popups displays
              ^!OpenReadOnly "C:\default.txt"

              However after that, I get an error that says, File "C:\"C\default.txt"
              cannot be found. Without adding the quotes, it still gives me the
              error but it reads: File C:\default.txt cannot be found. I am running
              Windows Vista and the free version of notetab. Could this be a
              permissions problem? I run the prgm as administrator settings.
            • Alan
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
                On Monday 04 June 2007 16:23, duke_nukem_time wrote:
                > Ok. The problem is in here. I keep getting an error that notetab can't
                > find the file in quotes. I dunno why.
                >
                > ;Menu
                > ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}; %SaveFileAs%=^?{Web
                > page file name (no path or extension)=index};

                above line needs to end with } (delete the semi colon)

                > ;End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
                > ^!IfCancel Exit
                >
                > ;Open the file
                > ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%;

                ^!Set %File%=C:\default.txt
                ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%

                Just for troubleshooting, those 2 lines as a clip should work. If not, then
                it is not a syntax related with the clip code problem.

                Does Vista allow reading of file on the root of the C drive?

                You might then also try using the data area (my documents, etc.). Quotes will
                then be needed on clip syntax due to space in the file path.

                --
                Alan.
              • duke_nukem_time
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I put the file
                  in the Admin Documents folder and it will load the txt file. However,
                  it still would give me an error about the path with the quotes on (eg
                  "^%File%"), so I left them off. I'm considering upgrading to Standard
                  Edition sometime soon to avoid future incompatibilities such as this
                  with Vista and the Lite version. Thank you and Sheri for responding to
                  my post.
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                    duke_nukem_time wrote:
                    > Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I
                    > put the file in the Admin Documents folder and it will
                    > load the txt file. However, it still would give me an
                    > error about the path with the quotes on (eg "^%File%"),
                    > so I left them off. I'm considering upgrading to Standard
                    > Edition sometime soon to avoid future incompatibilities
                    > such as this with Vista and the Lite version.

                    duke,

                    Most of us would, probably, recommend NoteTab Pro over Standard. The
                    advanced multiple 'UNDO' feature alone is worth the price difference.

                    This is a link to Fookes delineating the features of NoteTab Pro,
                    NoteTab Standard and NoteTab Light.

                    http://www.notetab.com/chart.php

                    As to the database problem at hand this work fine on my computer, XP
                    Pro, with no errors.
                    ----------------------
                    H="Open Read Only"
                    ; Menu
                    ; change folder in next line to your preference.
                    ;
                    ; you may, or may not, want to add a folder to 'save to'.
                    ; long line below, check for wrapping.
                    ;
                    ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to
                    use=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$}; %SFA%=^?{Webpage file name (no path or
                    extension)=^$GetShellFolder(Desktop)$index}
                    ;
                    ; End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
                    ^!IfCancel Exit
                    ; Open the file
                    ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%
                    ;^!Save AS ^%sfa%
                    ------------------
                    The difference may well be the difference between 'Lite' and 'Pro'.

                    ºvº SL-6-35 -created- 2007.06.05 - 06.47.02

                    In Only 30 Years...
                    • 1977: Disco
                    • 2007: Costco
                    ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                      <duke_nukem_time@...> wrote:

                      > Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I put the
                      > file in the Admin Documents folder and it will load the txt file.
                      > However, it still would give me an error about the path with the
                      > quotes on (eg "^%File%"), so I left them off. I'm considering
                      > upgrading to Standard Edition sometime soon to avoid future
                      > incompatibilities such as this with Vista and the Lite version.
                      > Thank you and Sheri for responding to my post.

                      Hi,

                      I agree with Harvey on the benefits of the Pro vs the Standard
                      version. But on the compatibility issue between Vista and Light --

                      While I don't know much about Vista security, I do know that with the
                      Light version you need to have write privileges not only in the
                      document's folder, but also in the installation folder where NoteTab
                      keeps its ini file. I would try that clip again after moving the
                      entire installation folder out of Program Files and into your "My
                      Documents" area.

                      In Standard and Pro versions 5+, the install procedure defaults to a
                      new "multi-user" configuration where user files are not stored in the
                      Program Files installation folder.