Very simple database problem

  • duke_nukem_time
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hey,

      I'm trying to create a very simple database clip that will take lines
      from a text file and convert them into html syntax for the web. The
      logic of my clip goes like this:

      Execute
      Open text file specified from the menu

      Label 1
      Read and output line 1 in html
      Read and output line 2 in html
      Read and output line 3 in html
      Read and output line 4 in html
      If line 5 is blank, end. Else, goto label 1
      End

      Using my knowledge of TI-83+ Basic coding, and some C++ intro stuff, I
      can do the loop and the outputting to html format, but I keep running
      into syntax problems with the OpenFile command in Notetab. I am also
      not sure how to read a line and save it as a string preferably since I
      never got to that part in C++.
      The syntax problem lies here:

      ;Menu
      ^!Set %File%="^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}";

      ;Setting output file as a variable <--This may not be needed at all.
      ^!Set %OpenFile%=^$GetName("^%File%")$;

      ;Open the file
      ;^!OpenReadOnly %OpenFile%; <--Prgm doesn't like this syntax. I
      thought it was because I need to specify path.

      After this I have to read the line to a string which I am not sure how
      to do. All help is appreciated. I wish there was a much better help
      guide for notetab, since I have a hard time following their
      descriptions without examples.
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2007
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "duke_nukem_time"
        <duke_nukem_time@...> wrote:

        > Hey,
        >
        > I'm trying to create a very simple database clip that will take lines
        > from a text file and convert them into html syntax for the web. The
        > logic of my clip goes like this:
        >
        > Execute
        > Open text file specified from the menu
        >
        > Label 1
        > Read and output line 1 in html
        > Read and output line 2 in html
        > Read and output line 3 in html
        > Read and output line 4 in html
        > If line 5 is blank, end. Else, goto label 1
        > End
        >
        > Using my knowledge of TI-83+ Basic coding, and some C++ intro stuff, I
        > can do the loop and the outputting to html format, but I keep running
        > into syntax problems with the OpenFile command in Notetab. I am also
        > not sure how to read a line and save it as a string preferably since I
        > never got to that part in C++.
        > The syntax problem lies here:
        >
        > ;Menu
        > ^!Set %File%="^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}";
        >
        > ;Setting output file as a variable <--This may not be needed at all.
        > ^!Set %OpenFile%=^$GetName("^%File%")$;
        >
        > ;Open the file
        > ;^!OpenReadOnly %OpenFile%; <--Prgm doesn't like this syntax. I
        > thought it was because I need to specify path.

        It also doesn't like that %OpenFile% doesn't have a caret in front of
        it: ^%OpenFile%

        What you probably want is

        ^!OpenReadOnly "^%File%"

      • duke_nukem_time
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2007
          It did work, but I keep getting this error when I try to open a file:

          http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/97/errorry4.jpg

          The original code is here:
          http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/7959/error1lf0.jpg
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2007
            <duke_nukem_time@...> wrote:

            > It did work, but I keep getting this error when I try to open a file:
            >
            > http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/97/errorry4.jpg
            >
            > The original code is here:
            > http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/7959/error1lf0.jpg

            I don't see where you ever saved a file by the name you're trying to
            open as read only. I would suggest to put

            ^!Setdebug on

            at the top of you clip and run it so you can see what is happening and
            where it is going wrong.

          • duke_nukem_time
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
              Ok. The problem is in here. I keep getting an error that notetab can't
              find the file in quotes. I dunno why.

              ;Menu
              ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}; %SaveFileAs%=^?{Web
              page file name (no path or extension)=index};
              ;End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
              ^!IfCancel Exit

              ;Open the file
              ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%;
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
                <duke_nukem_time@...> wrote:

                > Ok. The problem is in here. I keep getting an error that notetab can't
                > find the file in quotes. I dunno why.
                >
                > ;Menu
                > ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}; %SaveFileAs%=^?{Web
                > page file name (no path or extension)=index};
                > ;End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
                > ^!IfCancel Exit
                >
                > ;Open the file
                > ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%;

                Put double quotes around ^%File% and remove the trailing semicolon.

              • duke_nukem_time
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Ok. I did that.

                  ;Open the file
                  ^!OpenReadOnly "^%File%"

                  When in debug, the ^!Set %File%=.... in the menu displays =C:\default.txt

                  However, the next two popups displays
                  ^!OpenReadOnly "C:\default.txt"

                  However after that, I get an error that says, File "C:\"C\default.txt"
                  cannot be found. Without adding the quotes, it still gives me the
                  error but it reads: File C:\default.txt cannot be found. I am running
                  Windows Vista and the free version of notetab. Could this be a
                  permissions problem? I run the prgm as administrator settings.
                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
                    On Monday 04 June 2007 16:23, duke_nukem_time wrote:
                    > Ok. The problem is in here. I keep getting an error that notetab can't
                    > find the file in quotes. I dunno why.
                    >
                    > ;Menu
                    > ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to use}; %SaveFileAs%=^?{Web
                    > page file name (no path or extension)=index};

                    above line needs to end with } (delete the semi colon)

                    > ;End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
                    > ^!IfCancel Exit
                    >
                    > ;Open the file
                    > ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%;

                    ^!Set %File%=C:\default.txt
                    ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%

                    Just for troubleshooting, those 2 lines as a clip should work. If not, then
                    it is not a syntax related with the clip code problem.

                    Does Vista allow reading of file on the root of the C drive?

                    You might then also try using the data area (my documents, etc.). Quotes will
                    then be needed on clip syntax due to space in the file path.

                    --
                    Alan.
                  • duke_nukem_time
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I put the file
                      in the Admin Documents folder and it will load the txt file. However,
                      it still would give me an error about the path with the quotes on (eg
                      "^%File%"), so I left them off. I'm considering upgrading to Standard
                      Edition sometime soon to avoid future incompatibilities such as this
                      with Vista and the Lite version. Thank you and Sheri for responding to
                      my post.
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                        duke_nukem_time wrote:
                        > Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I
                        > put the file in the Admin Documents folder and it will
                        > load the txt file. However, it still would give me an
                        > error about the path with the quotes on (eg "^%File%"),
                        > so I left them off. I'm considering upgrading to Standard
                        > Edition sometime soon to avoid future incompatibilities
                        > such as this with Vista and the Lite version.

                        duke,

                        Most of us would, probably, recommend NoteTab Pro over Standard. The
                        advanced multiple 'UNDO' feature alone is worth the price difference.

                        This is a link to Fookes delineating the features of NoteTab Pro,
                        NoteTab Standard and NoteTab Light.

                        http://www.notetab.com/chart.php

                        As to the database problem at hand this work fine on my computer, XP
                        Pro, with no errors.
                        ----------------------
                        H="Open Read Only"
                        ; Menu
                        ; change folder in next line to your preference.
                        ;
                        ; you may, or may not, want to add a folder to 'save to'.
                        ; long line below, check for wrapping.
                        ;
                        ^!Set %File%=^?{(T=O)Select the filelist to
                        use=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$}; %SFA%=^?{Webpage file name (no path or
                        extension)=^$GetShellFolder(Desktop)$index}
                        ;
                        ; End procedure if the user canceled the Clip wizard
                        ^!IfCancel Exit
                        ; Open the file
                        ^!OpenReadOnly ^%File%
                        ;^!Save AS ^%sfa%
                        ------------------
                        The difference may well be the difference between 'Lite' and 'Pro'.

                        ºvº SL-6-35 -created- 2007.06.05 - 06.47.02

                        In Only 30 Years...
                        • 1977: Disco
                        • 2007: Costco
                        ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                      • Sheri
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                          <duke_nukem_time@...> wrote:

                          > Alan, I was able to get it working. As you suggested, I put the
                          > file in the Admin Documents folder and it will load the txt file.
                          > However, it still would give me an error about the path with the
                          > quotes on (eg "^%File%"), so I left them off. I'm considering
                          > upgrading to Standard Edition sometime soon to avoid future
                          > incompatibilities such as this with Vista and the Lite version.
                          > Thank you and Sheri for responding to my post.

                          Hi,

                          I agree with Harvey on the benefits of the Pro vs the Standard
                          version. But on the compatibility issue between Vista and Light --

                          While I don't know much about Vista security, I do know that with the
                          Light version you need to have write privileges not only in the
                          document's folder, but also in the installation folder where NoteTab
                          keeps its ini file. I would try that clip again after moving the
                          entire installation folder out of Program Files and into your "My
                          Documents" area.

                          In Standard and Pro versions 5+, the install procedure defaults to a
                          new "multi-user" configuration where user files are not stored in the
                          Program Files installation folder.