Re: [Clip] Stuck on this clip

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      duke_nukem_time wrote:
      > I have been trying to find a way to take the height and width of an
      > image and scale them down by a reduction factor of 1-5.

      If you mean what I think you do, the only reasonable answer is: don't.
      You can use WIDTH and HEIGHT to make the browser show a scaled image,
      but browsers tend to make a bad job of it (*) and the user has to
      download the big version anyway. The only good way to go about this is
      use a real graphics program, for simple things like these I highly
      recommend Irfanview, and make smaller copies of your images.
      I nearly always make those clickable and link them to the full size
      versions for those who need or want all the detail.

      (*) For an example of ugly scaling have a look at the entry page of
      http://fdp-odenthal.de/ , especially the icons on the right (no, I'm not
      responsible for tht one). For an example of big behind small try
      http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Urlaub/R-1980.htm

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        At 05:02 AM 6/1/2007 , Axel Berger wrote:
        >duke_nukem_time wrote:
        > > I have been trying to find a way to take the height and width of an
        > > image and scale them down by a reduction factor of 1-5.
        > The only good way to go about this is
        >use a real graphics program, for simple things like these I highly
        >recommend Irfanview, and make smaller copies of your images.
        >I nearly always make those clickable and link them to the full size
        >versions for those who need or want all the detail. Axel
        ==========
        Greetings,

        For easy lossless batch resizing and renaming I recommend FastStone Image
        Viewer:
        http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

        Page examples
        Link to larger image:
        http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/december/silver_river/

        Resized, drop shadow, link to page.
        http://mountainnaturecamp.org/schedule/schedule.htm

        -Mike
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
          Mike Breiding wrote:
          > At 05:02 AM 6/1/2007 , Axel Berger wrote:
          >> duke_nukem_time wrote:
          >>> I have been trying to find a way to take the height and width of an
          >>> image and scale them down by a reduction factor of 1-5.
          >> The only good way to go about this is
          >> use a real graphics program, for simple things like these I highly
          >> recommend Irfanview, and make smaller copies of your images.
          >> I nearly always make those clickable and link them to the full size
          >> versions for those who need or want all the detail. Axel
          > ==========
          > Greetings,

          This is easy to do first of all if you wish. While I agree with others
          assessments on using scaled images instead of scaling big images, you
          retrieve the size using these functions:

          ^$GetImgHeight(FileName)$

          Returns the height in pixels of the specified image file (.gif, .png,
          .jpg, .bmp). The value is 0 if file does not exist or is not an image.

          ^$GetImgWidth(FileName)$

          Returns the width in pixels of the specified image file (.gif, .png,
          .jpg, .bmp). The value is 0 if file does not exist or is not an image.

          Then you use calc.

          You use a wizard to decide on scaling (1 is obviously not worth doing,
          but 2,3,4,5 sure).

          ^!Set %scale%=^?[scale ratio eg 1/3]
          ;here insert a get file dialog or whatever?
          ;info or something?
          ^$Calc((^$GetImgHeight(FileName)$)*(^%scale%);0)$

          I highly recommend ezthumbs for image resizing ... it can easily be used
          with clips to actually make new images as you wish from notetab, etc.
          Irfanview is fine too, but ezthumbs is better for simple tasks. Find a
          copy at http://notetab.com because it is in fact by Eric Fookes.
        • None of your business Can't say
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
            Thank you so much Don. I've been trying to learn this notetabbing stuff and it is pretty hard for a noob. I knew there was something wrong with my logic but now you helped me solve it.

            Thanks