Re: [Clip] Find/Replace between two tokens

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 16, 2007
      Hi Bob,

      Have a look here:

      She gives a reference to a source that will explain greedy and
      non-greedy identifiers.

      Don
      Message 2 of 16 , May 17, 2007
        skyflyerdezign wrote:
        > And I still can't find reference to code such as ... \d{1,4},

        Now that you have told us you use 4.95 you probably wouldn't. I'm new to
        NoteTab and only started with 5.0, but I believe the wavy brackets were
        only added then. It means "\d" decimal digit "{1,4}" numbering from at
        least one to for at most.

        > I don't understand why than needs to be done and what the heck is
        > 'greedy' all about?!!
        > Doesn't adding a '?' mean matches zero or one matches of the regular
        > expression?

        As a quantifier yes. Written directly after a quantifier it becomes a
        modifier. As in your example you often have a beginning, a variable
        middle, and an end. Regex tries to find and match as much as possible so
        your "variable middle" may well contain the end, some unrelated text in
        between and the beginning of the next instance plut its variable middle,
        which is not what you want. I use the "?" modifier for "match as little
        as possible" all the time.

        > The other two solutions did not work for me. I did a copy and paste, so

        They wouldn't with 4.95. I'm not one of the "always use the newest and
        flashiest" brigade (still on Win98) but with NoteTab and at its price
        I'd really recommend upgrading, if only for the sake of being on a par
        with most helpful people in here.

        Axel
      • skyflyerdezign
        Message 3 of 16 , May 17, 2007

          Point taken.
          It is indeed a powerful product for the price.
          And that would explain why some of the suggested samples didn't work
          for me.
          I'll plan on the upgrade.
          Thanks again for the help ...
          Bob

          > I'd really recommend upgrading, if only for the sake of being on a par
          > with most helpful people in here.
          >
          > Axel

        • skyflyerdezign
          Message 4 of 16 , May 17, 2007

            This could be duplicate post. Provider issues ...

            Point taken.
            It is indeed a powerful product for the price.
            And that would explain why some of the suggested samples didn't work
            for me.
            I'll plan on the upgrade.
            Thanks again for the help ...
            Bob

            > I'd really recommend upgrading, if only for the sake of being on a par
            > with most helpful people in here.
            >
            > Axel

          • skyflyerdezign
            Message 5 of 16 , May 17, 2007