Jim Hall, A Dear Friend....

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2007
      Dear Groups...

      I would be remiss if I did not say the following, (Thanks Loro for handling this as well). Jim made me promise some months ago that, when the time came, would I please notify the group of his passing.

      He emailed me last night to inform me it was time...unfotunately I am dealing with a personal family loss which took place last evening as well, so I did not catch the email until now.

      Jim Hall was an EXTRAORDINARY Man... you may not all know him if you are newer to the group but he has been here watching all along. When I first started using NoteTab, clips were a mystery to me. He tried as he might to help me, even created a Yahoo News Group dedicated to helping newbie clip writers. I'm not a programmer, he tried! :) Chuckled with me often too :)

      Although I never met him in person, he has been a constant in my life... I cannot express enough how much you will be MISSED, Jim. He has been there for me and for others for many years.

      We were in a very small beta testing group for many years as well, you other members, you know who you are.. and always there with helpful input on how to tweak and make things better. I grieve so hard today you have no idea.....Oh my God...

      Prayers go out to your wife and family.... good bye my friend, no more pain... you lived life and were at peace with all that has happened to you... may God and the saints take real good care of you... see you in the future, I hope.

      Please, take a moment... he was truly at peace, he had tied up ALL of his loose ends, he was ready... I promise you he attitude was fantastic to the end...

      For NoteTab, for Insight, 2007 has taken great people from us....

      Jim, Rest In Peace m'dear friend!
      Maybe Jody was there to greet him.... :)

      I bid you farewell, Jim.

      Laurie
      Oh my......

    • RS
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2007
        Thank you Laurie, and Lotta, for letting us know.

        I cannot explain how sourly we are going to miss Jim. He's been a beacon
        of light on the NoteTab lists and one of the most influential forces
        behind our latest two products (InSight and PowerOutlines).

        Even with so little time left to be among us, Jim wanted and managed to
        keep testing and giving advice so those programs would better help not
        only experienced users but, most importantly, newer ones. I can only
        hope he realized how much his efforts were appreciated. And how much his
        help meant to me and all of us.

        I have always been impressed by the integrity with which he faced his
        illness, knowing that he was terminally ill and this day was coming. He
        managed to keep, until the last minute, being the same self he's always
        been, from incisively analyzing the latest Windows Vista to joking and
        poking fun at his friends, and that's how we will remember him.

        He might be physically gone, but he'll be always present among us.

        Good luck, Jim, wherever you are.

        --
        Ramon Silvera
        Author of InSight, PowerOutlines, and ClipWriter

        On 2007/05/14 12:48, you wrote:
        > Dear Groups...
        >
        > I would be remiss if I did not say the following, (Thanks Loro for
        > handling this as well). Jim made me promise some months ago that,
        > when the time came, would I please notify the group of his passing.

      • Alan
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2007
          Thanks Laurie and Lotta.

          Jim deserves fifty or more different Yahoo Groups. But I didn't know which
          other 43 plus groups to send this to. So, I send this to these here 7
          groups. Hopefully the thought that he is so deserving is what counts.

          Goodness, it was only near two or three weeks ago that Jim and I (email) were
          speaking programming and program design. (he'd informed me then that his time
          was getting short).

          We hadn't formerly emailed each other off list that much if at all. But,
          somehow, Jim and I struck up this chord about programming.

          And . . .

          I had spoke from my Perl programming experience and that my skill level in
          Perl is near intermediate and that I wanted to fill in some gaps in my
          knowlege and then make break throughs into yet even more advanced with my
          Perl skills.

          Somehow, I'm still uncertain exactly as to how, but, nonetheless, those email
          conversations left me with a greater insight into the specifics of exactly
          what my target lessons now needs to be in order for me to go where I want to
          go with my Perl programming skills.

          IOW I got tuned in or dialed in better about the needed specifics in order for
          me to proceed forward and in turn then achieve my goal.

          Thank you Jim. (I also told him so, thank you, via email at the time that this
          happened).

          I think Jim's definition of Object Oriented programming had something to do
          with this. He has his own definition of what this (Object Oriented)
          programming is. And, it's right on (for the most part). And it's a real
          down to earth and a simple and easily understood definition.

          I'm about to target myself for some more Object oriented programming lessons
          in Perl. I need to know more in that I need a greater ability to tap into
          pre existing power. Sometimes I succeed and can tap into it. But not under
          all circumstances. I just need greater familiarity. Modules equate to my
          term of pre existing power. Often, an freely available Perl object oriented
          module has the power to do thus and such 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Perhaps I
          can succeed at tap into and use 2 and 5. But I also need to tap into and use
          3 and 7 and I fail.

          Once I understand *all* of the underlying mechanics or mechanisms of Perl
          Object Oriented then I should be able to do whatever I want successfully.

          Getting back to Jim, I discovered that he'd programmed in many languages. He
          had the capability to program or author any sort of software that he wanted
          to. And he had done so many times in years gone by.

          But, today, he said he dislikes coding (programming or authoring or writing
          code). But that he'd rather design a program and then contract someone to
          write the code to fullfill his design specs.

          Jim I'm jealous (is it ok to be jealous) or, another way to put it, I
          certainly at the very least am admirable of Jim's achievements in the
          computer science (especially programming) arena.

          I struggle with where I'm at with my Perl skills. I mastered the Notetab
          clips. And I did a little bit of Qbasic prior to my learning Notetab Clip.
          And I've done a slight little bit of programming the bash shell in Linux.
          Oh, and a very very teeny bit of batch file language on Microsoft.

          Of those, I'd say Perl is the heavy weight (the power of what it can do), an
          programming language. But Perl is a high level language.

          (I've never done) Jim did low level languages such as assembler. These are
          way more involved, much more so than high level language. (I wonder if I'll
          ever master the high level Perl language).

          Assembler is down at the hardware, about the lowest language there is.

          Jim also did high level languages.

          But Jim just always acted like he's no different than me.

          Though he owned what I think are talents that perhaps even not all of us even
          have the ability to attain, he acted with me like he's got nothing special,
          he just studied and worked hard. That's all.

          Well, I think it's not all. I study and work hard and I creep (like as in
          very slow) to progress/raise my Perl skill level. So slow at a high level
          language it makes me wonder if I could ever even do a low level language like
          assembler.

          (I lacks a transition right here. *Jumps* awkwardly into the next)

          The word "grace" comes to my mind. I just looked it up at online dictionary:

          1. The exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor; disposition
          to benefit or serve another; favor bestowed or privilege
          conferred.
          [1913 Webster]
          --

          Somehow I came away from email conversation with Jim with something positive,
          privilege conferred or etc. I came away, as mentioned, more dialed in or

          To be a part of the steering committee is perhaps one of the greatest
          blessings that there is.

          Thanks Jim for whatever you did (Just being Jim, I think) that an offshoot of
          this is that my own guidance or direction that I need to pursue is affected
          in a positive way.

          Alan.