Re: [Clip] Windows Vista Keyboard Commands, was Re: Clip doesn't work since upgrade to 5.1

    Message 1 of 24 , May 12, 2007
      Corl DeLuna wrote:
      > I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
      > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do.

      I use all my computers with nothing but Win98SE and common sense. And so
      far I am the only one in my neighbourhood who has never ever had a
      single virus or similar. For the sake of my daughter, who sometimes
      tends to lack the second ingredient, I have licensed Kasperski, usually
      the best in all published comparison tests, and run it every now and and
      then (weeks to months). I have never got any protection on when working
      normally. To do anything these things need to hook themselves very
      deeply into the OS internals and I have always found that to lead to all
      kinds of performance and reliability problems, whatever AV the computer
      I happen to sit in front of uses. My own is always that much sleeker and
      more stable.

      Axel
    • bubblefisch2002
      Message 2 of 24 , May 13, 2007
        Hi everybody!

        > I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
        > new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
        > Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
        > because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
        > and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
        > There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
        > are also a number of frustrations.
        >
        > That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
        > installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
        > another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
        > just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
        > might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
        > need to do:
        >
        > 1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
        > the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
        > This puts you in "evaluation mode."
        >
        > 2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
        > the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
        > normally.
        >
        > That's what I read anyway. YMMV.
        >
        > Scott

        I have read that too, it was in the Langalist-Newsletter of Fred Langa.
        Now he is cooperating with "Windows Secrets" on www.windowssecrets.com
        (or similar).

        Raimund.
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 24 , May 14, 2007
          snip... AV protection ... Norton ... McAfee ... Win98SE ... virus ...
          Kasperski ... reliability problems ... etc etc
          Back before my hijacked thread got hijacked :-) we were talking about
          how to recover from Vista's disgust with NoteTab's Keyboard Commands.

          I have since made a lot of progress with the helpful suggestions of a
          couple of you. I documented several of my replacements.

          Here is another to replace:
          keyboard backspace

          ^!Select -1
          ^!InsertText ^%EMPTY%

          I am often using notetab to fill out things and use the tab key to
          navigate. Some applications have alt key combinations to do the same
          ... how will I replace keyboard tab?

          Ideas?