Re: [Clip] Windows Vista Keyboard Commands, was Re: Clip doesn't work since upgrade to 5.1

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 24 , May 11 2:12 PM
      Corl DeLuna wrote:

      > Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
      > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Corl

      1. it's got a free version.

      2. It runs as a "service" in the back ground.

      3. It updates itself with out hassles.

      4. It works really well.

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 24 , May 12 12:35 AM
        Corl DeLuna wrote:
        > I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
        > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do.

        I use all my computers with nothing but Win98SE and common sense. And so
        far I am the only one in my neighbourhood who has never ever had a
        single virus or similar. For the sake of my daughter, who sometimes
        tends to lack the second ingredient, I have licensed Kasperski, usually
        the best in all published comparison tests, and run it every now and and
        then (weeks to months). I have never got any protection on when working
        normally. To do anything these things need to hook themselves very
        deeply into the OS internals and I have always found that to lead to all
        kinds of performance and reliability problems, whatever AV the computer
        I happen to sit in front of uses. My own is always that much sleeker and
        more stable.

        Axel
      • bubblefisch2002
        Message 3 of 24 , May 13 10:03 AM
          Hi everybody!

          > I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
          > new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
          > Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
          > because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
          > and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
          > There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
          > are also a number of frustrations.
          >
          > That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
          > installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
          > another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
          > just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
          > might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
          > need to do:
          >
          > 1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
          > the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
          > This puts you in "evaluation mode."
          >
          > 2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
          > the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
          > normally.
          >
          > That's what I read anyway. YMMV.
          >
          > Scott

          I have read that too, it was in the Langalist-Newsletter of Fred Langa.
          Now he is cooperating with "Windows Secrets" on www.windowssecrets.com
          (or similar).

          Raimund.
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 24 , May 14 8:23 AM
            snip... AV protection ... Norton ... McAfee ... Win98SE ... virus ...
            Kasperski ... reliability problems ... etc etc
            Back before my hijacked thread got hijacked :-) we were talking about
            how to recover from Vista's disgust with NoteTab's Keyboard Commands.

            I have since made a lot of progress with the helpful suggestions of a
            couple of you. I documented several of my replacements.

            Here is another to replace:
            keyboard backspace

            ^!Select -1
            ^!InsertText ^%EMPTY%

            I am often using notetab to fill out things and use the tab key to
            navigate. Some applications have alt key combinations to do the same
            ... how will I replace keyboard tab?

            Ideas?