Windows Vista Keyboard Commands, was Re: Clip doesn't work since upgrade to 5.1

  • notetab_is_great
    Message 1 of 24 , May 11 2:01 PM
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jeff,
      > Why did you select Avast?

      free
      frequent, automatic signature and program updates
      lightweight

      non-Jeff
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 24 , May 11 2:12 PM
        Corl DeLuna wrote:

        > Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
        > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Corl

        1. it's got a free version.

        2. It runs as a "service" in the back ground.

        3. It updates itself with out hassles.

        4. It works really well.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 24 , May 12 12:35 AM
          Corl DeLuna wrote:
          > I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
          > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do.

          I use all my computers with nothing but Win98SE and common sense. And so
          far I am the only one in my neighbourhood who has never ever had a
          single virus or similar. For the sake of my daughter, who sometimes
          tends to lack the second ingredient, I have licensed Kasperski, usually
          the best in all published comparison tests, and run it every now and and
          then (weeks to months). I have never got any protection on when working
          normally. To do anything these things need to hook themselves very
          deeply into the OS internals and I have always found that to lead to all
          kinds of performance and reliability problems, whatever AV the computer
          I happen to sit in front of uses. My own is always that much sleeker and
          more stable.

          Axel
        • bubblefisch2002
          Message 4 of 24 , May 13 10:03 AM
            Hi everybody!

            > I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
            > new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
            > Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
            > because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
            > and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
            > There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
            > are also a number of frustrations.
            >
            > That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
            > installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
            > another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
            > just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
            > might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
            > need to do:
            >
            > 1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
            > the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
            > This puts you in "evaluation mode."
            >
            > 2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
            > the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
            > normally.
            >
            > That's what I read anyway. YMMV.
            >
            > Scott

            I have read that too, it was in the Langalist-Newsletter of Fred Langa.
            Now he is cooperating with "Windows Secrets" on www.windowssecrets.com
            (or similar).

            Raimund.
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 24 , May 14 8:23 AM
              snip... AV protection ... Norton ... McAfee ... Win98SE ... virus ...
              Kasperski ... reliability problems ... etc etc
              Back before my hijacked thread got hijacked :-) we were talking about
              how to recover from Vista's disgust with NoteTab's Keyboard Commands.

              I have since made a lot of progress with the helpful suggestions of a
              couple of you. I documented several of my replacements.

              Here is another to replace:
              keyboard backspace

              ^!Select -1
              ^!InsertText ^%EMPTY%

              I am often using notetab to fill out things and use the tab key to
              navigate. Some applications have alt key combinations to do the same
              ... how will I replace keyboard tab?

              Ideas?