RE: [Clip] Windows Vista Keyboard Commands, was Re: Clip doesn't work since upgrade to 5.1

  • Corl DeLuna
    Message 1 of 24 , May 11, 2007
      Thanks Sis,

      I'm going to give it a spin based on your recommendation.

      Best,
      Corl

      _____

      Message 2 of 24 , May 11, 2007
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        > > Dump Vista?
        >
        > At about $300, it was an expensive downgrade. And you have to completely
        > wipe the HD to reinstall using an earlier Windows version, which has t
        > be a full install version, another couple of hundred bucks. Then you
        > have to bring in all your content and reinstall all your programs.
        >
        > A very expensive proposition, that some IT folks tell me NEVER goes well
        > or easy. There is always Linux, or some of the other alternate operating
        > systems...

        I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
        new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
        Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
        because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
        and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
        There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
        are also a number of frustrations.

        That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
        installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
        another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
        just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
        might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
        need to do:

        1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
        the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
        This puts you in "evaluation mode."

        2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
        the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
        normally.

        That's what I read anyway. YMMV.

        Scott
      • notetab_is_great
        Message 3 of 24 , May 11, 2007
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jeff,
          > Why did you select Avast?

          free
          frequent, automatic signature and program updates
          lightweight

          non-Jeff
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 24 , May 11, 2007
            Corl DeLuna wrote:

            > Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
            > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Corl

            1. it's got a free version.

            2. It runs as a "service" in the back ground.

            3. It updates itself with out hassles.

            4. It works really well.

            Jeff
            Message 5 of 24 , May 12, 2007
              Corl DeLuna wrote:
              > I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
              > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do.

              I use all my computers with nothing but Win98SE and common sense. And so
              far I am the only one in my neighbourhood who has never ever had a
              single virus or similar. For the sake of my daughter, who sometimes
              tends to lack the second ingredient, I have licensed Kasperski, usually
              the best in all published comparison tests, and run it every now and and
              then (weeks to months). I have never got any protection on when working
              normally. To do anything these things need to hook themselves very
              deeply into the OS internals and I have always found that to lead to all
              kinds of performance and reliability problems, whatever AV the computer
              I happen to sit in front of uses. My own is always that much sleeker and
              more stable.

              Axel
            • bubblefisch2002
              Message 6 of 24 , May 13, 2007
                Hi everybody!

                > I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
                > new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
                > Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
                > because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
                > and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
                > There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
                > are also a number of frustrations.
                >
                > That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
                > installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
                > another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
                > just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
                > might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
                > need to do:
                >
                > 1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
                > the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
                > This puts you in "evaluation mode."
                >
                > 2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
                > the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
                > normally.
                >
                > That's what I read anyway. YMMV.
                >
                > Scott

                I have read that too, it was in the Langalist-Newsletter of Fred Langa.
                Now he is cooperating with "Windows Secrets" on www.windowssecrets.com
                (or similar).

                Raimund.
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 24 , May 14, 2007
                  snip... AV protection ... Norton ... McAfee ... Win98SE ... virus ...
                  Kasperski ... reliability problems ... etc etc
                  Back before my hijacked thread got hijacked :-) we were talking about
                  how to recover from Vista's disgust with NoteTab's Keyboard Commands.

                  I have since made a lot of progress with the helpful suggestions of a
                  couple of you. I documented several of my replacements.

                  Here is another to replace:
                  keyboard backspace

                  ^!Select -1
                  ^!InsertText ^%EMPTY%

                  I am often using notetab to fill out things and use the tab key to
                  navigate. Some applications have alt key combinations to do the same
                  ... how will I replace keyboard tab?

                  Ideas?