Re: [Clip] Windows Vista Keyboard Commands, was Re: Clip doesn't work since upgrade to 5.1

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 24 , May 11, 2007
      sisterscape wrote:

      > Well, then educate your client!
      >
      > I went to visit with my local computer guy yesterday. Of course, the
      > topic of conversation drifted to Vista rather quickly. He said he had 8
      > upgrade failures currently needing repair! A result of "buy this
      > machine loaded with XP and receive a free upgrade" offers gone bad.
      >
      > While I was there one guy came to pick up his Vista laptop which had
      > acquired all sorts of nasties - over 40 - including viruses. So much
      > for MS security. We agreed that the "Vista is soooo secure" campaign
      > was nothing but a PR scam. It was fun.

      The security anti-virus that ships with Vista is inoperative, it lets
      you think you are protected but is really just a front, I replaced mine
      with Avast!

      Jeff
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 24 , May 11, 2007
        Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
        bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?

        Thanks,
        Corl

        _____

        > I went to visit with my local computer guy yesterday. Of course, the
        > topic of conversation drifted to Vista rather quickly. He said he had 8
        > upgrade failures currently needing repair! A result of "buy this
        > machine loaded with XP and receive a free upgrade" offers gone bad.
        >
        > While I was there one guy came to pick up his Vista laptop which had
        > acquired all sorts of nasties - over 40 - including viruses. So much
        > for MS security. We agreed that the "Vista is soooo secure" campaign
        > was nothing but a PR scam. It was fun.

        The security anti-virus that ships with Vista is inoperative, it lets
        you think you are protected but is really just a front, I replaced mine
        with Avast!

        Jeff

      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 24 , May 11, 2007
          I'm not Jeff but can recommend AVG (free version) as being very light
          on its feet. Been using it for years with no problems.

          Sister

          --- Corl DeLuna <corl@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that
          > doesn't
          > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Corl
          >
          > _____

          ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
        • Corl DeLuna
          Message 4 of 24 , May 11, 2007
            Thanks Sis,

            I'm going to give it a spin based on your recommendation.

            Best,
            Corl

            _____

            <http://www.fookes.com/maillist.htm> com/maillist.htm

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            __________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo!
            toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
            http://new.toolbar
            <http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php>
            yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php

          • Scott Fordin
            Message 5 of 24 , May 11, 2007
              Jeff Scism wrote:
              > > Dump Vista?
              >
              > At about $300, it was an expensive downgrade. And you have to completely
              > wipe the HD to reinstall using an earlier Windows version, which has t
              > be a full install version, another couple of hundred bucks. Then you
              > have to bring in all your content and reinstall all your programs.
              >
              > A very expensive proposition, that some IT folks tell me NEVER goes well
              > or easy. There is always Linux, or some of the other alternate operating
              > systems...

              I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
              new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
              Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
              because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
              and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
              There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
              are also a number of frustrations.

              That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
              installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
              another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
              just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
              might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
              need to do:

              1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
              the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
              This puts you in "evaluation mode."

              2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
              the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
              normally.

              That's what I read anyway. YMMV.

              Scott
            • notetab_is_great
              Message 6 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

                > Hi Jeff,
                > Why did you select Avast?

                free
                frequent, automatic signature and program updates
                lightweight

                non-Jeff
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                  Corl DeLuna wrote:

                  > Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
                  > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Corl

                  1. it's got a free version.

                  2. It runs as a "service" in the back ground.

                  3. It updates itself with out hassles.

                  4. It works really well.

                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 12, 2007
                    Corl DeLuna wrote:
                    > I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
                    > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do.

                    I use all my computers with nothing but Win98SE and common sense. And so
                    far I am the only one in my neighbourhood who has never ever had a
                    single virus or similar. For the sake of my daughter, who sometimes
                    tends to lack the second ingredient, I have licensed Kasperski, usually
                    the best in all published comparison tests, and run it every now and and
                    then (weeks to months). I have never got any protection on when working
                    normally. To do anything these things need to hook themselves very
                    deeply into the OS internals and I have always found that to lead to all
                    kinds of performance and reliability problems, whatever AV the computer
                    I happen to sit in front of uses. My own is always that much sleeker and
                    more stable.

                    Axel
                  • bubblefisch2002
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 13, 2007
                      Hi everybody!

                      > I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
                      > new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
                      > Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
                      > because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
                      > and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
                      > There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
                      > are also a number of frustrations.
                      >
                      > That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
                      > installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
                      > another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
                      > just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
                      > might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
                      > need to do:
                      >
                      > 1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
                      > the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
                      > This puts you in "evaluation mode."
                      >
                      > 2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
                      > the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
                      > normally.
                      >
                      > That's what I read anyway. YMMV.
                      >
                      > Scott

                      I have read that too, it was in the Langalist-Newsletter of Fred Langa.
                      Now he is cooperating with "Windows Secrets" on www.windowssecrets.com
                      (or similar).

                      Raimund.
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 14, 2007
                        snip... AV protection ... Norton ... McAfee ... Win98SE ... virus ...
                        Kasperski ... reliability problems ... etc etc
                        Back before my hijacked thread got hijacked :-) we were talking about
                        how to recover from Vista's disgust with NoteTab's Keyboard Commands.

                        I have since made a lot of progress with the helpful suggestions of a
                        couple of you. I documented several of my replacements.

                        Here is another to replace:
                        keyboard backspace

                        ^!Select -1
                        ^!InsertText ^%EMPTY%

                        I am often using notetab to fill out things and use the tab key to
                        navigate. Some applications have alt key combinations to do the same
                        ... how will I replace keyboard tab?

                        Ideas?