Windows Vista Keyboard Commands, was Re: Clip doesn't work since upgrade to 5.1

  • dpasseng
    Message 1 of 24 , May 10, 2007
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <Scismgenie@...> wrote:

      > U also have used Keyboard commands in clips and had them fail, We
      > discussed this as a possible conflict in Windows Vista, with the
      > security system (doesn't allow outside programs to initiate
      Keystrokes).
      > I had to resort to Toolbar commands instead of Keyboard commands to get
      > around it.

      Someone in a later thread suggested that you can use the compatibility
      tab in Vista to run keyboard commands in notetab. Has anyone found a
      solution? I have a fairly complex clip that relies on several
      keyboard, delete commands. I suppose maybe I could substitute a menu
      edit cut in place of it?

      Any other thoughts?
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 24 , May 10, 2007
        On Thursday 10 May 2007 08:37, dpasseng wrote:
        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <Scismgenie@...> wrote:
        > > U also have used Keyboard commands in clips and had them fail, We
        > > discussed this as a possible conflict in Windows Vista, with the
        > > security system (doesn't allow outside programs to initiate
        >
        > Keystrokes).
        >
        > > I had to resort to Toolbar commands instead of Keyboard commands to get
        > > around it.
        >
        > Someone in a later thread suggested that you can use the compatibility
        > tab in Vista to run keyboard commands in notetab. Has anyone found a
        > solution? I have a fairly complex clip that relies on several
        > keyboard, delete commands. I suppose maybe I could substitute a menu
        > edit cut in place of it?
        >
        > Any other thoughts?

        ^!Replace "$getselection" >> "^%EMPTY%" IS

        (may be spelling error in the above)

        --
        Alan.
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 24 , May 11, 2007
          Alan wrote:
          > On Thursday 10 May 2007 08:37, dpasseng wrote:
          >> --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <Scismgenie@...> wrote:
          >>> U also have used Keyboard commands in clips and had them fail, We
          >>> discussed this as a possible conflict in Windows Vista, with the
          >>> security system (doesn't allow outside programs to initiate
          >> Keystrokes).
          >>
          >>> I had to resort to Toolbar commands instead of Keyboard commands to get
          >>> around it.
          >> Someone in a later thread suggested that you can use the compatibility
          >> tab in Vista to run keyboard commands in notetab. Has anyone found a
          >> solution? I have a fairly complex clip that relies on several
          >> keyboard, delete commands. I suppose maybe I could substitute a menu
          >> edit cut in place of it?
          >>
          >> Any other thoughts?
          >
          > ^!Replace "$getselection" >> "^%EMPTY%" IS
          >
          > (may be spelling error in the above)

          Wow smart! Never thought of something that simple ... I think in the
          app I have that plus text insert instead of keyboard enter ... should do
          the trick. Would never have thought of it, even though it's obvious in
          hindsight. Thanks!
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 24 , May 11, 2007
            Alan wrote:
            > On Thursday 10 May 2007 08:37, dpasseng wrote:
            >> --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <Scismgenie@...> wrote:
            >>> U also have used Keyboard commands in clips and had them fail, We
            >>> discussed this as a possible conflict in Windows Vista, with the
            >>> security system (doesn't allow outside programs to initiate
            >> Keystrokes).
            >>
            >>> I had to resort to Toolbar commands instead of Keyboard commands to get
            >>> around it.
            >> Someone in a later thread suggested that you can use the compatibility
            >> tab in Vista to run keyboard commands in notetab. Has anyone found a
            >> solution? I have a fairly complex clip that relies on several
            >> keyboard, delete commands. I suppose maybe I could substitute a menu
            >> edit cut in place of it?
            >>
            >> Any other thoughts?
            >
            > ^!Replace "$getselection" >> "^%EMPTY%" IS
            >
            > (may be spelling error in the above)

            Bloody brilliant. So simple I may never have seen it without your help ...
            Here are several I used (top is new and bottom is old):
            ^!Paste
            ^!Keyboard CTRL+C

            ^!Select All
            ^!Keyboard CTRL+A

            ^!Keyboard DELETE
            ^!Replace "^$GetSelection$" >> "^%EMPTY%" IS
            (note you were missing the ^ at the front but concept was soo helpful)
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 24 , May 11, 2007
              Nuts, this isn't working ... but the idea seems logical.
              > ^!Keyboard DELETE
              > ^!Replace "^$GetSelection$" >> "^%EMPTY%" IS
              > (note you were missing the ^ at the front but concept was soo helpful)
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                > Nuts, this isn't working ... but the idea seems logical.
                > > ^!Keyboard DELETE
                > > ^!Replace "^$GetSelection$" >> "^%EMPTY%" IS
                > > (note you were missing the ^ at the front but concept was soo helpful)

                The Getselection has to have the appropriate portion selected first.

                ^!MENU Edit/"Delete"

                See if that works.
              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                  --- dpasseng <don@...> wrote:

                  > Someone in a later thread suggested that you can use the
                  > compatibility
                  > tab in Vista to run keyboard commands in notetab. Has anyone found a
                  > solution? I have a fairly complex clip that relies on several
                  > keyboard, delete commands. I suppose maybe I could substitute a menu
                  > edit cut in place of it?
                  >
                  > Any other thoughts?

                  Dump Vista???

                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                    sisterscape wrote:
                    > --- dpasseng <don@...> wrote:
                    >> Someone in a later thread suggested that you can use the
                    >> compatibility
                    >> tab in Vista to run keyboard commands in notetab. Has anyone found a
                    >> solution? I have a fairly complex clip that relies on several
                    >> keyboard, delete commands. I suppose maybe I could substitute a menu
                    >> edit cut in place of it?
                    >>
                    >> Any other thoughts?
                    >>

                    > Dump Vista???
                    Hi Sister, Jeff, Alan, Lurkers,
                    I'm willing ... to Dump Vista ... but it's a clip for a client not me :-)

                    Instead of this:
                    ^!Keyboard DELETE
                    which I used to use, I tried this:
                    ^!Replace "^$GetSelection$" >> "^%EMPTY%" IS
                    which seemed logical but didn't work ...

                    so working off of that theory I used this:
                    ^!InsertText ^%EMPTY%

                    and it works like keyboard delete to get rid of the selected content.

                    Good teamwork everyone :-)

                    Don
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                      sisterscape wrote: > Any other thoughts?

                      > Dump Vista?

                      At about $300, it was an expensive downgrade. And you have to completely
                      wipe the HD to reinstall using an earlier Windows version, which has t
                      be a full install version, another couple of hundred bucks. Then you
                      have to bring in all your content and reinstall all your programs.

                      A very expensive proposition, that some IT folks tell me NEVER goes well
                      or easy. There is always Linux, or some of the other alternate operating
                      systems...

                      Jeff
                    • sisterscape
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                        Well, then educate your client!

                        I went to visit with my local computer guy yesterday. Of course, the
                        topic of conversation drifted to Vista rather quickly. He said he had 8
                        upgrade failures currently needing repair! A result of "buy this
                        machine loaded with XP and receive a free upgrade" offers gone bad.

                        While I was there one guy came to pick up his Vista laptop which had
                        acquired all sorts of nasties - over 40 - including viruses. So much
                        for MS security. We agreed that the "Vista is soooo secure" campaign
                        was nothing but a PR scam. It was fun.

                        --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                        > >> Any other thoughts?
                        > >>

                        > > Dump Vista???
                        >
                        > Hi Sister, Jeff, Alan, Lurkers,
                        > I'm willing ... to Dump Vista ... but it's a clip for a client not me
                        > :-)
                        >
                        > Don

                        ____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                      • Jeff Scism
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                          sisterscape wrote:

                          > Well, then educate your client!
                          >
                          > I went to visit with my local computer guy yesterday. Of course, the
                          > topic of conversation drifted to Vista rather quickly. He said he had 8
                          > upgrade failures currently needing repair! A result of "buy this
                          > machine loaded with XP and receive a free upgrade" offers gone bad.
                          >
                          > While I was there one guy came to pick up his Vista laptop which had
                          > acquired all sorts of nasties - over 40 - including viruses. So much
                          > for MS security. We agreed that the "Vista is soooo secure" campaign
                          > was nothing but a PR scam. It was fun.

                          The security anti-virus that ships with Vista is inoperative, it lets
                          you think you are protected but is really just a front, I replaced mine
                          with Avast!

                          Jeff
                        • Corl DeLuna
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                            Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
                            bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?

                            Thanks,
                            Corl

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                              I'm not Jeff but can recommend AVG (free version) as being very light
                              on its feet. Been using it for years with no problems.

                              Sister

                              --- Corl DeLuna <corl@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that
                              > doesn't
                              > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Corl
                              >
                              > _____

                              ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
                            • Corl DeLuna
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                                Thanks Sis,

                                I'm going to give it a spin based on your recommendation.

                                Best,
                                Corl

                                _____

                                <http://www.fookes.com/maillist.htm> com/maillist.htm

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                __________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo!
                                toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
                                http://new.toolbar
                                <http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php>
                                yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php

                              • Scott Fordin
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                                  Jeff Scism wrote:
                                  > > Dump Vista?
                                  >
                                  > At about $300, it was an expensive downgrade. And you have to completely
                                  > wipe the HD to reinstall using an earlier Windows version, which has t
                                  > be a full install version, another couple of hundred bucks. Then you
                                  > have to bring in all your content and reinstall all your programs.
                                  >
                                  > A very expensive proposition, that some IT folks tell me NEVER goes well
                                  > or easy. There is always Linux, or some of the other alternate operating
                                  > systems...

                                  I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
                                  new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
                                  Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
                                  because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
                                  and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
                                  There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
                                  are also a number of frustrations.

                                  That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
                                  installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
                                  another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
                                  just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
                                  might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
                                  need to do:

                                  1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
                                  the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
                                  This puts you in "evaluation mode."

                                  2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
                                  the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
                                  normally.

                                  That's what I read anyway. YMMV.

                                  Scott
                                • notetab_is_great
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Jeff,
                                    > Why did you select Avast?

                                    free
                                    frequent, automatic signature and program updates
                                    lightweight

                                    non-Jeff
                                  • Jeff Scism
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                                      Corl DeLuna wrote:

                                      > Hi Jeff, I'm using XP sp2, and I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
                                      > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do. Why did you select Avast?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Corl

                                      1. it's got a free version.

                                      2. It runs as a "service" in the back ground.

                                      3. It updates itself with out hassles.

                                      4. It works really well.

                                      Jeff
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 12, 2007
                                        Corl DeLuna wrote:
                                        > I'm looking for AV protection that doesn't
                                        > bloat my system like Norton and McAfee do.

                                        I use all my computers with nothing but Win98SE and common sense. And so
                                        far I am the only one in my neighbourhood who has never ever had a
                                        single virus or similar. For the sake of my daughter, who sometimes
                                        tends to lack the second ingredient, I have licensed Kasperski, usually
                                        the best in all published comparison tests, and run it every now and and
                                        then (weeks to months). I have never got any protection on when working
                                        normally. To do anything these things need to hook themselves very
                                        deeply into the OS internals and I have always found that to lead to all
                                        kinds of performance and reliability problems, whatever AV the computer
                                        I happen to sit in front of uses. My own is always that much sleeker and
                                        more stable.

                                        Axel
                                      • bubblefisch2002
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 13, 2007
                                          Hi everybody!

                                          > I must confess that I was not thrilled when I tried to buy a
                                          > new notebook with something other than Vista, or that removing
                                          > Vista and installing XP Pro in its place did not really work
                                          > because the notebook was designed very much with Vista in mind
                                          > and so XP drivers were not available for all its components.
                                          > There are some things about Vista I actually like, but there
                                          > are also a number of frustrations.
                                          >
                                          > That said, there is, apparently, a way around the problem of
                                          > installing Vista on a clean drive, without having to install
                                          > another version of Windows first. I forget where I read this
                                          > just a couple of days ago -- it might've been Lockergnome, it
                                          > might've been somewhere else, I don't know. Here's what you
                                          > need to do:
                                          >
                                          > 1. Start the Vista installation on the clean drive, but at
                                          > the beginning of the process, do *not* enter the CD code.
                                          > This puts you in "evaluation mode."
                                          >
                                          > 2. Reinstall Vista, but this time *do* enter the CD code at
                                          > the beginning of the process. Installation should proceed
                                          > normally.
                                          >
                                          > That's what I read anyway. YMMV.
                                          >
                                          > Scott

                                          I have read that too, it was in the Langalist-Newsletter of Fred Langa.
                                          Now he is cooperating with "Windows Secrets" on www.windowssecrets.com
                                          (or similar).

                                          Raimund.
                                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 14, 2007
                                            snip... AV protection ... Norton ... McAfee ... Win98SE ... virus ...
                                            Kasperski ... reliability problems ... etc etc
                                            Back before my hijacked thread got hijacked :-) we were talking about
                                            how to recover from Vista's disgust with NoteTab's Keyboard Commands.

                                            I have since made a lot of progress with the helpful suggestions of a
                                            couple of you. I documented several of my replacements.

                                            Here is another to replace:
                                            keyboard backspace

                                            ^!Select -1
                                            ^!InsertText ^%EMPTY%

                                            I am often using notetab to fill out things and use the tab key to
                                            navigate. Some applications have alt key combinations to do the same
                                            ... how will I replace keyboard tab?

                                            Ideas?