Re: [Clip] XML and Coldfusion

  • Loren Scherbak
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2007
      Tom,
      Thanks for the feedback. We already have mechanisms in place to deal
      with the XML file once it's been uploaded to the server. We're trying
      to see if we can get NoteTab to mimic a form POST request so we can
      then perform the cffile upload operation (other alternatives might be
      using a GET request or using a web service). That way, our users don't
      have to separately save their file, go to a form, and upload the file,
      but instead can simply click a button and have every step of that
      process automated for them. We're willing to program all the steps
      that "make the magic happen" -- we just want to save our users the
      trouble.

      Basically, our main interest is in getting the file to the server
      using some kind of mechanism that can trigger a Coldfusion process.
      Our preference is to use a HTTP based request (i.e. an HTTP post or
      get operation, or a web service). The alternative is to copy or ftp
      the file up to the Coldfusion server and then have an event gateway
      trigger an action. But event gateways only work in CF Enterprise
      edition, which we don't have (and we don't see justifying the extra
      $2000 price tag, if there's some other way of doing this).

      I expect that this is an uncommon request, but if anyone else has done
      something similar, we would be very grateful to know what they did and
      how they did it.

      Thanks,
      Loren
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, tom thomas <tom@...> wrote:

      > CF is my programming language of choice. I don't exactly understand
      > what you are trying to accomplish though. I have manually created xml
      > files using NoteTab and have written few clips to help. CF will parse
      > xml files using the xmlParse() function. NoteTab can work with an FTP
      > program to upload your files for you to the server. Another way to
      > get the xml files to the server is via the cffile upload tag.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Tom Thomas
      >
      > At 08:19 AM 5/7/2007, you wrote:
      >
      > >We need to have XML files we are creating in NoteTab Pro interact with
      > >Coldfusion programming. Is it possible to do these two actions within
      > >NoteTab?
      > >a) The file is saved. The archivist presses a button (or however tasks
      > >are triggered), and that file is then uploaded through a specified URL
      > >as a "POST" operation. It is not enough for it to be uploaded (i.e.
      > >through FTP) -- it has to be through a web page so that Coldfusion can
      > >know to interact with it. NoteTab should then re-direct to the HTML
      > >file when it's done parsing.
      > >
      > >b) The file is either saved or not. The archivist presses a button,
      > >and the CONTENTS of the file are sent to a specified URL as a "POST"
      > >operation. That then feeds in the XML data, creates an XML file,
      > >transforms that using the stylesheet, and redirects to that HMTL file
      > >when it's done parsing.

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2007
        On Monday 07 May 2007 07:58, Loren Scherbak wrote:
        [ . . ]
        > Basically, our main interest is in getting the file to the server
        > using some kind of mechanism that can trigger a Coldfusion process.
        > Our preference is to use a HTTP based request (i.e. an HTTP post or
        > get operation, or a web service).

        That typically uses a web browser with a web page loaded for user to click
        button on web page.
        --

        Notetab can load a certain specified .htm file into a certain specified web
        browser and can send keystrokes ie "TAB" "TAB" then paste into a field

        That can work. Can sometimes be a bit of fiddling (experimenting of timing,
        delays if needed, etc.) to get implemented.

        Alternatively, Perl is excellent at automating www (scraping, posting, etc.)
        various what would otherwise be "human interaction" with a web browser tasks.

        And Notetab integrates excellently with Perl.

        This latter (Perl) situation (after activated in Notetab by your user) would
        then happen entirely in the background. The first mentioned (without Perl)
        the user would see the web browser pop up, taking focus away from Notetab --
        your user would then visually in the web browser see the results of Notetab
        sending keystrokes. (Some Win Vista users have reported that Notetab
        keystroke sending does not work in Vista).

        > I expect that this is an uncommon request, but if anyone else has done
        > something similar, we would be very grateful to know what they did and
        > how they did it.

        I've formerly done the first that I listed above (I used Notetab to get me
        automatically logged in to Yahoo Groups) (loose focus of Notetab though,
        focus goes to web browser).

        As to Perl and notetab, I've had notetab be the control agent for Perl whereby
        Perl (Perl module either native module or module from a PPM repository)
        retrieved a web page's content then Perl stripped the html then formatted the
        text then dumped the text into a new Notetab doc for me to read (read weather
        observations and forecasts in Notetab rather than going to said www site with
        a web browser to read the aforementioned. (OK I'm lazy, didn't like to leave
        Notetab) Thats called scraping (scrape a www site).

        I've not ever done a post or get with Perl/Notetab. But there are many Perl
        lists/newsgroups out there. And I *know* it can. Perl modules: LWP and
        WWW::Mechanize

        Either of those two modules do post/get. Depends on your www needs (this,
        specifically the www post/get I do not know enough about so as to further
        specify what your exact (from the 2 listed) target Perl module.

        --
        Alan.
      • Alan
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2007
          On Monday 07 May 2007 11:48, Alan wrote:
          > On Monday 07 May 2007 07:58, Loren Scherbak wrote:
          > [ . . ]

          [ needs to http post or get request out to a web server but needs to do it
          behind the scenes or in the background rather than using a web browser
          (desires to integrate this the mentioned/specified http task with or ran/run
          this task from Notetab) ]

          > That typically uses a web browser with a web page loaded for user to click
          > button on web page.
          > --

          If only you had a Win command line app that could do the above http task (then
          just have Notetab issue the appropriate command line that runs that app).
          (It's rather likely that Perl is not the only thing that can automate web
          http task(s) ).

          At Google, I searched thus:

          windows web form post get commandline

          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Jfw&q=windows+web+form+post+get+commandline&btnG=Search

          (scripting, automate of your http transaction) Check out the next. Curl (a
          command line app) can post/get

          http://curl.haxx.se/docs/httpscripting.html

          http://barracudaserver.com/examples/BarracudaDrive/CommandLine.html

          At Google, looking for: is there a curl for windows ( curl is a native Linux
          app, powerful ):

          windows curl

          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=windows+curl&btnG=Search

          --